KZ 440 LTD strip down and repaint 2(UPDATE: DONE)

More
20 Apr 2008 17:52 - 17 Sep 2010 18:54 #207902 by ZER
Well I spent 1-1/2 hours yesterday stripping the ole girl down to repaint her again, I don't know what I was thinking the first time when I went with Red on Yellow???

Here's how she looked,
[img

And here is some of the strip down...
[img

[img

[img

[img

[img

Even started sand blasting it using sand from my kids' sand pile :laugh: after sifting it with a Screen I snagged off my master bathroom window... Wife didn't like that! :angry:

[img

EDIT: used wrong code :blush:

Michigan Yooper
1983 KZ440 LTD Belt Drive,(drag bars, smoothed side covers, shaved seat, pod filters, bar end mirrors) 1981 KZ440 LTD (parts bike)
Last edit: 17 Sep 2010 18:54 by ZER.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2008 21:33 #207936 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic KZ 440 LTD strip down and repaint (again)
well youll never know how its gonna look unless you try !:laugh: i remember when me and the ol man did the 1st kawasaki with the frame painted to match the bodywork in 80-81 to be differant nobody in omaha or council bluffs had ever done it on a kawasaki(we got the idea from a harley !!!:blush: :laugh: )now everybody does it !so now i need to start using origional colors to be differant!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

More
20 Apr 2008 23:07 #207943 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic KZ 440 LTD strip down and repaint (again)
I thought it looked kool in a McDonalds sort of way.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
28 Apr 2008 19:21 #209907 by ZER
Well, I took one of my old pics of it, and went to town with it in Photoshop to get an Idea of how it would look when it is done.

I am planning on painting the frame copper, and the tank, side covers, and fenders Satin black, and pinstriping them all in Red and Copper.

Here is a quick Photochop, If you have any comments/suggestions, positive or negative, please feel free to comment.

Although, I already know I should have photochopped the rust off my car, but I don't drive that one anymore.:laugh:

Michigan Yooper
1983 KZ440 LTD Belt Drive,(drag bars, smoothed side covers, shaved seat, pod filters, bar end mirrors) 1981 KZ440 LTD (parts bike)

More
28 Apr 2008 19:53 #209918 by PLUMMEN
ZER wrote:

Well, I took one of my old pics of it, and went to town with it in Photoshop to get an Idea of how it would look when it is done.

I am planning on painting the frame copper, and the tank, side covers, and fenders Satin black, and pinstriping them all in Red and Copper.

Here is a quick Photochop, If you have any comments/suggestions, positive or negative, please feel free to comment.

Although, I already know I should have photochopped the rust off my car, but I don't drive that one anymore.:laugh:

i like the copper color;) what if you painted the bodywork same as frame with the swingarm painted silver for some contrast.paint bottem triple tree silver like swingarm and strip/polish the aluminum upper tree.and a shorter ltd style fender on front?

More
28 Apr 2008 19:54 - 28 Apr 2008 19:55 #209919 by Beatpoet
Replied by Beatpoet on topic KZ 440 LTD strip down and repaint (again)
Hmm...

It looks cool.

If you are going that far with it, this is what it would look like without the fenders.

Maybe a couple of pinstripes and a number plate w/ the year on it in the pinstripe color.
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Apr 2008 19:55 by Beatpoet.

More
28 Apr 2008 20:24 #209929 by PLUMMEN
as much as i hate to see 900-1000s without a rear fender that actually looks kind of neat without it!;)

More
28 Apr 2008 22:19 #209957 by EasyRider1
Replied by EasyRider1 on topic KZ 440 LTD strip down and repaint (again)
I would just go with good ol black for the frame.

1978 KZ650C

More
29 Apr 2008 07:51 #210006 by ZER
EasyRider1 wrote:

I would just go with good ol black for the frame.

I was thinking about going back to black on the frame, But I really want to give it a 50's hotrod look. Something Nostalgic feeling. I have a pic on my laptop at work I will post of a KZ900 that I saw on eBay, that I thought the style was PERFECTLY ME. It does have "Black on Black" with Red accents. But it was just too much black for my tastes, I just didn't like the Satin Black On Gloss Black.

Michigan Yooper

More
29 Apr 2008 08:52 #210021 by JohNLA
Replied by JohNLA on topic KZ 440 LTD strip down and repaint (again)
I like the copper frame with black and red. Cool and different.
I am with Beatpoet in that a new rear end can really make that look work.
I wish my paint scheme was closer. Too many ideas:side:

s49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/JohNLA_photo/1983%20GPZ%20550/
83 GPZ 550 Stock with 3600 miles_83s.
83 GPZ 550 4-1,pods,Mikuni 36,000 + miles

More
07 Jun 2008 09:21 #218533 by ZER
Well, it's time for an update....
Things are slow going, the weather hasn't been cooperating this past month, as well as finding the time.

I got a few things sandblasted, primed and re-painted though!

Front Tire and Kickstand!(pics are a weeks old)
[img

And a pic of the Belt drive sprocket assembly after paint and back together today.
[img

Michigan Yooper

More
07 Jun 2008 16:44 #218633 by ZER
Well I got some work done on my sidecovers today at work(16hr shift today). I unmasked them, and took off the chrome decal I was using for masking purposes, then pinstriped some life into it.

NOTE TO SELF: Have a shot of whiskey to steady the hand before pinstriping!

Anyhoo..... Maybe you can start getting a picture of what I have in my head for the ole' girl! Although the copper, in these pics looks more gold because of the lighting.

Both sidecovers, One already pinstriped, one to go!
[img

Right side cover, un-striped.
[img

Left Side cover(and shaky pinstriping :blush:
[img

The wife is off work for the summer now, maybe I will have less daughter wrangling time, and more KZ-BUILDING time! :woohoo:

Michigan Yooper