Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 22 Oct 2006 19:10 #86371

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376

There is a master cylinder in the back but it was just banded to the frame with the hardware nowhere in sight.

Question is how hard is it to make this setup work?

If you have a working rear brake, then there's not much left to do. You got to find a way to mount, with bolts, the master cylinder to the frame. Either by welding on a bracket similar to a stock C model, or making up a bracket.

Here's a pic showing how a stock C model's mounts:

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2006/10/22 22:23
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 22 Oct 2006 19:14 #86372

• tommyp76
  • tommyp76's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
rstnick wrote:

There is a master cylinder in the back but it was just banded to the frame with the hardware nowhere in sight.

If you have a working rear brake, then there's not much left to do. You got to find a way to mount, with bolts, the master cylinder to the frame. Either by welding on a bracket similar to a stock C model, or making up a bracket.

Well I'm not sure if it works yet or not. Basically all i have is the brake lever and the master cylinder. The cylinder has a line running to the rear brake but the rod that connects to the lever is gone so it's hard for me to visualize where it all should be mounted.
1978 KZ650B

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 22 Oct 2006 19:42 #86387

• tommyp76
  • User
rstnick wrote:

Here's a pic showing how a stock C model's mounts:
<br><br>Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2006/10/22 22:23

OK so that picture helps a ton, THANKS! Now I just got to find from the master cylinder down and that should be it for the breaks.
1978 KZ650B

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 22 Oct 2006 19:49 #86392

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
The back side of the brake lever (behind the frame) has got to be a different part on the B and C models.

They are. Here's a pic. Parts 9 on the B model and 7 on the C are different, as well as the springs, parts 6. As well as the other differences. An easy swap if you can find the parts.
OnkelB did a swap like this. You may be able to search his posts or PM him on whats involved.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Attachments:

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 24 Oct 2006 20:15 #87056

• tommyp76
  • User
OK so just a little update:

Got some of wiring straightened out. Got the starter button working as well as the taillights. Headlight is junk so I'll add that to the growing list. We have power to the coils but nothing out of them. Waiting on my manual to show up so we can dig into the coils.
1978 KZ650B

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 02 Nov 2006 10:39 #89339

• tommyp76
  • User
tommyp76 wrote:

OK so just a little update:

Got some of wiring straightened out. Got the starter button working as well as the taillights. Headlight is junk so I'll add that to the growing list. We have power to the coils but nothing out of them. Waiting on my manual to show up so we can dig into the coils.

So....Coils are shot and so is the condenser so I'm looking for used coils and a new condenser is on the way from Z1E. Carbs are in pretty good shape but we are going to rebuild them anyway while I've got them apart. Other than that just some degreasing and cleaning up of the wiring while I'm waiting on parts.
1978 KZ650B

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 10 Dec 2006 12:47 #98758

• tommyp76
  • User
It's ALIVE!!!

Finally got a chance to put in my new (used) coils and condensor today and OH MY GOD does this bike run good. I still need to rebuild and sync the carbs but the little tweaking we did sure makes her purrr. Heck I had it on the bike lift and used the kick start by hand and she started on the first try.

When I first got it we checked compression and had anywhere from 135 to 155. Now that we had her running we checked again and every cylinder is between 175 and 185. I'm so happy right now it's not even funny.

So now I'm just buying parts. I need carb kits, new headlight, new turn signals, stock airbox, etc....

Overall there is really nothing major I need now so she should be rideable by spring.

Oh and I almost forgot, I got the title for it yesterday.
1978 KZ650B

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 10 Dec 2006 13:08 #98760

• neilage66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Glad things are working out and the fact that you keep us updated on your progress is great.
Exciting when all your work starts to pay off and you hear that 4 cylider purr for the first time! :)

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 10 Dec 2006 13:20 #98762

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Lots of stuff on fleabay. I did see some cool aftermarket turn signals from some guy on there for reasonable. Several different styles. Lets see..165 items listed for KZ650 on fleabay. Its like going to the swap shop without having to leave the house.

Post edited by: pumps, at: 2006/12/10 16:21
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 10 Dec 2006 13:46 #98769

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Tommy...right on Bud!
Isn't that one of the BEST feelings,One could ever experience?...getting something like that,non-running,and You finally get to hear it run...and it runs GOOD?...WAHOO!
Glad to hear it.B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 10 Dec 2006 14:23 #98781

• tommyp76
  • User
Sandy wrote:

Tommy...right on Bud!
Isn't that one of the BEST feelings,One could ever experience?...getting something like that,non-running,and You finally get to hear it run...and it runs GOOD?...WAHOO!
Glad to hear it.B)

Even my buddy who is a bike mechanic couldn't believe how well it ran. :)
1978 KZ650B

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 10 Dec 2006 15:12 #98789

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3

my buddy who is a bike mechanic

I would think he might be a good budy to have!:woohoo:
Be SURE to buy him something good for Christmas..preferably some kind of tool he needs...to work on KZs!:woohoo:
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive