Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 15 Oct 2006 15:20 #84524

• tommyp76
  • tommyp76's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Well I've been a member for about a month with most of my activity being lurking in the shadows. Well I won an auction on Ebay a couple of weeks ago and today I finally picked her up.

She's a 1978 KZ650B with 9520 on the clock. She's missing the side covers and needs some fixing here and there but for $167.50 I didn't think I did too bad. I have a couple days off this week so I'm going to see if I can get the girl tuned in and see what else is wrong.

Here some pics.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/03/18 09:29
1978 KZ650B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 15 Oct 2006 15:30 #84529

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
$167.50? I'd say you did better than "not too bad", I'd say good score! Welcome to KZ ownership- be aware, it's addictive...

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 15 Oct 2006 15:32 #84531

• reborn650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey Tommy - Sweet score. Looks like you got a helluva good deal.

The Kz650 is a solid bike. Nice handling, extremely reliable and packs a nice punch for a middleweight.

Are you planning on keeping it stock? If you are going to add some aftermarket upgrades my recommendation is to keep the stock parts lying around just in case you want to revert back to stock.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontraio Canada
1977 kz650 Custom - 810 big-bore kit with lottsa go fast goodies tucked away inside.
-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 15 Oct 2006 15:46 #84534

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
tommyp76 wrote:

Well I've been a member for about a month with most of my activity being lurking in the shadows. Well I won an auction on Ebay a couple of weeks ago and today I finally picked her up.

Yep. Score. No bout a doubt it.

Not that being "with KZ" was a pre-requisite (as in the "with child" context) for hanging out with this crowd, but now that it's no longer an issue, ask away - somebody, somewhere around here knows something about whatever you need to know - and will probably even answer...

Oh. Don't bother checking your sense of humor at the door - you're gonna need it. ;)

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 15 Oct 2006 15:47 #84535

• tommyp76
  • User
reborn650 wrote:

Hey Tommy - Sweet score. Looks like you got a helluva good deal.

The Kz650 is a solid bike. Nice handling, extremely reliable and packs a nice punch for a middleweight.

Are you planning on keeping it stock? If you are going to add some aftermarket upgrades my recommendation is to keep the stock parts lying around just in case you want to revert back to stock.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontraio Canada
1977 kz650 Custom - 810 big-bore kit with lottsa go fast goodies tucked away inside.

Well I'm not sure what all I'm going to do with her yet. I want to put a stock airbox back on and at least get the side covers and paint them to match. I've been toying with new handlebar ideas but I haven't decided on what yet.

Post edited by: tommyp76, at: 2006/10/15 18:51
1978 KZ650B

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 15 Oct 2006 15:52 #84536

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Nice looking bike and $ is good.

Too bad you're at Purdue instead of Ga Tech :-)

-Duck

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 15 Oct 2006 15:56 #84538

• tommyp76
  • User
Duck wrote:

Nice looking bike and $ is good.

Too bad you're at Purdue instead of Ga Tech :-)

-Duck

I just work there, I'm not an Alum.
1978 KZ650B

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 15 Oct 2006 15:59 #84539

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
tommyp76 wrote:

Well I'm not sure what all I'm going to do with her yet. I want to put a stock airbox back on and at least get the side covers and paint them to match. I've been toying with new handlebar ideas but I haven't decided on what yet.

Considering *ANY* old Kaw anything but a perpetual work-in-progress is an object lesson in "famous last words-in waiting."

For an object with a finite number of associated parts, it's bloody amazing how it can turn into a lifetime's obsession to get every one of them right.

Tweaking your Kaw ad-infinitum is something like looking down the rabbit hole in _
    Alice In Wonderland
_...

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 15 Oct 2006 16:19 #84540

• kawsakiman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
that is a damm fine bike for $167.50. does it run? even if it don't, it's still a screaming deal.enough knowlage here for almost any problum. welcome to the madhouse where the inmates run the aslyum.
someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 15 Oct 2006 16:44 #84546

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
kawsakiman wrote:

welcome to the madhouse where the inmates run the aslyum.

And the primates too! I agree you stole it! I like the tropical flavor. Nanas for everyone! Put it back together get it runnin great and it'll take a frying pan to get the smile off your face when youre riding. Luck with her. BTW I needs ta know. Who got the price up or down to the 50 cents. I have never paid a fiddy cent price to a seller. There has to be a story there. I think if I ever buy or sell a bike again I will get it to 50 cents. Something about it I like.

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 15 Oct 2006 17:04 #84553

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
eBay auctions often bump up by $1.50 or $2.50 increments. I just sniped a bid for a seat on eBay, I usually add a few cents into the bid- you might just beat someone else who bid the even dollar amount. Plus its fun to confuse people with the extra 37 or 68 cents or whatever....

Sorta new, but now I have a bike. 15 Oct 2006 17:42 #84558

• tommyp76
  • User
kawsakiman wrote:

that is a damm fine bike for $167.50. does it run? even if it don't, it's still a screaming deal.enough knowlage here for almost any problum. welcome to the madhouse where the inmates run the aslyum.

He says it runs but the gas in it is old so I didn't even try. I'm off Thurs and Fri of these week so I'm gonna clean the carbs and see how it runs (or if it even does).
1978 KZ650B