New girl...

More
14 Nov 2005 16:08 #8188 by devochka
New girl... was created by devochka
Hidely-hodely folks! My name is Erin and I am a new member here. I live in the Denver, Colorado area. I am looking for information at this point, and eventually hope to pick up an ex-police KZ1000.

_erin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2005 16:16 #8191 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic New girl...
Welcome to KZR, Erin. I'm sure you will find anything you want and a times don't want to know about these great old bikes here,, :laugh: :laugh: .
There is a ton of information in the archives, and what don't or can't find there I'm sure you can get all the answers you need in the forums.
Again, welcome,
Les

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
14 Nov 2005 16:20 #8192 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic New girl...
Welcome to KZR Erin. Hope you find a KZ1000P in great shape. They do get a lot of milage on them, but are a well built, long lasting ride. Don't forget pictures when you find one you like.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
14 Nov 2005 17:00 #8202 by duncan
Replied by duncan on topic New girl...
hi erin, i'm assuming you've been here. check out listing #4. sounds like a match made in heaven (police bikes in denver colo):

kzrider.com/component/option,com_classif...adv,/catid,3/type,1/

i hear the late 1970s police bikes had a (wobbly) problem with the front end. you might want to check out the archives. welcome aboard :)

More
14 Nov 2005 18:36 #8206 by froggy
Replied by froggy on topic New girl...
hi erin i have a 1988kz 1000 police bike and its very affordable years 1984 threw i believe 1990 there all built the same its a good bike for starters althought unless you are really tall it sits way to hi for my taste i would recmmend changing the rear shocks and releasing a little air of the front end to lower to a comfortable footing of course i like to low ride dont no about you

More
14 Nov 2005 21:16 #8227 by devochka
Replied by devochka on topic New girl...
Thanks again for the welcome, everyone!

froggy wrote:

hi erin i have a 1988kz 1000 police bike and its very affordable years 1984 threw i believe 1990 there all built the same its a good bike for starters althought unless you are really tall it sits way to hi for my taste i would recmmend changing the rear shocks and releasing a little air of the front end to lower to a comfortable footing of course i like to low ride dont no about you

I am 6' and about 250lbs and I have a 3XL helmet, if that gives you an idea. Here's a recent pic:

I took the MSF BRC on a Honda Rebel that was way too small for me -- the handlebars impacted my legs at full lock (and left bruises!) and it was painful to walk the bike.

I was talking with some friends of mine about the guy here in Denver , John Cordsen. In John's own words:

All vehicles are sold on an as is basis but any known problems or missing items will be noted.

Most have been sitting for a long time and will need to have the carb jets cleaned.

My friends suggested that I look elsewhere unless I know a good mechanic or can do the work myself (which I cannot). Any recommendations for mechanics in the Denver, CO area?

In the meantime, I think I will go check out this bike . Any hints on what to look for when I check it out? Any ideas what to feel for on the test ride?

Thanks again!

_erin

Post edited by: ran429, at: 2006/04/14 23:59

More
14 Nov 2005 21:44 #8229 by PuGz
Replied by PuGz on topic New girl...
I have never bought or seen a kz that didnt need the carbs cleaned and some work done. Thats just normal.

More
15 Nov 2005 04:25 #8253 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic New girl...
That last one looks in great shape and apparently runs well. That's a good start. Look for any signs of damage, bends or srapes to indicate it's been down. Make sure EVERYTHING works, test all the switches. Look at the condition of the tires; do they have some life in them, lots of tread and not cracked?
Check the fluid levels, Oil, brakes etc.
When you get there, feel (carefully) if the engine is warm (to indicate if it's just been running) If it's cold, and starts right up, that's good.
Check the Drive Chain adjustments to see how far back the chain is adjusted. If it's nearing the end, you may need a Chain and Sprocket replacement soon.

Ask to see any maintenance history they may have. Maybe lots of things have been done recently, maybe not.

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2005/11/15 07:30

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
15 Nov 2005 07:29 #8279 by Shaner
Replied by Shaner on topic New girl...
Let me know if you need any help. I live in Denver around I70 and Colorado Blvd. If you need a good mechanic, There was I guy I used to work with at Grand Prix Motorsports on the south end of town that use to work on all of Englewood's KZ1000s. I dont know if he's still there but give them a call. I can probably help you out with the small stuff, but I'm a KZ750 twin owner and don't play with the 4 bangers that often.

PM or email me if you need the help.

And welcome to the site!

More
15 Nov 2005 09:30 #8299 by GargantuChet
Replied by GargantuChet on topic New girl...
Welcome to KZR! Denver's a nice place... my girlfriend's sister lives downtown, and they have family in Boulder. Definitely cruiser terrain... if you avoid the mountains, that is. :)

I took the BRC on a Rebel also. At 6'0", hovering around 255-260 lbs, I felt like I was punishing the poor thing. It was still fun to beat on a bike owned by the state of PA, though. :evil:

More
15 Nov 2005 10:42 #8312 by froggy
Replied by froggy on topic New girl...
well i can tell u this much the kz 1000 police is durable its modified for that purpose seeing law enforcement designed make sure u buy a police kz 1000 with the crash bar front an rear this protect your bike if dropped or hit as i have dropped an been hit but it still purrs like a cat i purchased mine with 20,000
miles on it buy a guy here in simi valley who was making movies so he had about 10 for sale this was back in i think 1990 but i wouldnt spend anymore than approx 1500 for it
oh and another thing u might not like is the rocker arm shifter if u find your self having to stomp on it to change gears its warping then u got to carry a 13 inch wrench with u to adjust it allz the time might go to junk yard an get a regular shifter i am going to prob install a suicide stick shifter and suicide clutch
but i wouldnt recommend this unless u are full of boredom:P

More
30 Nov 2005 19:12 #11168 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic New girl...
devochka wrote:

Hidely-hodely folks! My name is Erin and I am a new member here. I live in the Denver, Colorado area. I am looking for information at this point, and eventually hope to pick up an ex-police KZ1000.

_erin

Welcome- Devochka- you speak Russian? Handle like that, one would think so!

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.