Z900 A4 1976 - Random wire under starter motor

More
15 Oct 2024 06:10 #905129 by Sparky64
Hi Everybody,

I am trying unsuccessfully to connect up the wiring on my Z900 A4 

I need to get the bike running urgently due to an uncertain future and am out of my depth.

I have some of it done but keep running into problems with wiring especially with confusing wire colours which don't seem to match the wiring diagrams. I am out of my depth but need to get the bike wired. There are some wires that I need identifying for their purpose and also where they should route to.

Is it ok to post pictures in like the one below and seek assistance as I come across problems but will avoid over posting pictures as much as I can?

So the picture below is a single wire that is hanging down underneath the starter motor, I have no idea what it is for or what it should connect to, please can somebody advise on this.

You are not authorised to see this attachment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2024 08:48 #905141 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Z900 A4 1976 - Random wire under starter motor
Welcome from Leicestershire, you pic isn't showing (probably because your first 2 posts have to be moderated ) post an introduction in the new members section and we'll be able to sort your electrical woes :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sparky64

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Oct 2024 09:16 #905144 by SWest
If it's a blue/red wire that's for the oil pressure switch and that leads to ground

More
17 Oct 2024 03:07 #905193 by Sparky64
Replied by Sparky64 on topic Z900 A4 1976 - Random wire under starter motor
So as you can see it has been a simple mainly mechanical rebuild, engine ran perfectly so I have not touched that, best achievement in this rebuild was getting the engine in in one go with no paint desecration.

But and here is the big but - I have no idea about electrics, I have spent 100 hours on video's, manuals (my Haynes manuals are booby trapped with conflicting evidence to real life) I have wires that are the wrong colour, small odd looking components that do not have a home, a bunch of blue / blue and white wires, coils with odd colour wiring, same with indicators and who ever came up with the idea to put spaghetti junction in the headlight?

So here we are, I need help from generous knowledgeable people who are also patient and moderators who won't mind me putting lots of pictures in with detailed requests. The welcome has been invigorating and my thanks to you all for that and for what I am about to unleash on you lol 

So first one - I have the twin wire cable from the points, it is one black and one white wire, but have read it should have a green and not white - it has to go to the coils with the right coil having an orange/white wire and a black/yellow wire, the left coil has a red/yellow wire and a black wire.

To try and work this out I have put a couple of pictures in below, one showing the lead from the points, one showing the wires from both coils with the points lead in the shot and one showing a red and yellow wire from the loom just below. hope it helps.

Thanks

More
17 Oct 2024 03:48 #905194 by Wookie58

More
17 Oct 2024 05:30 - 17 Oct 2024 05:32 #905196 by Sparky64
Replied by Sparky64 on topic Z900 A4 1976 - Random wire under starter motor
Brilliant, will get on this later today, one more for now if that is OK,

Relating to my first post I have a wire dangling under the starter and wondered where it should go, it looks red and white.

Thank you 
Last edit: 17 Oct 2024 05:32 by Sparky64.

More
17 Oct 2024 05:39 #905197 by Wookie58

• Scirocco
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
17 Oct 2024 15:07 #905207 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Z900 A4 1976 - Random wire under starter motor
The neutral switch color is light green/red and it´s missing the female bullet connector.

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
More
17 Oct 2024 16:06 #905208 by TexasKZ
Here is a more gooder diagram specific to your model, which is often not the case in the Haynes/Clymer universe.

www.kzrider.com/filebase-alias?view=category&catid=84

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough