Tuning Carb / Carb Kits

More
14 Oct 2024 16:15 #905107 by Tanknk
Tuning Carb / Carb Kits was created by Tanknk
Hello Guys,
I am new to this forum and first time I am working on my 1980 KZ560E1 motorcycle. This motorcycle has been in the garage for 4yrs or so.
I am working on getting it ready to ride. I have completed the electrical wiring work, replaced the clutch and spark plugs. But I am having trouble starting the engine. It did start for one time and now it just starts for few seconds and shuts down.
I have feeling that this has something to do with carburetor settings. I have been coming to this forum to read about the KZ650 issues, repairs and such. According to the link kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/614637-id...50-carburetor-i-have , I have VM24ss ( Carb assembly # 16001-1208)
I don't want to completely rebuild the carb. I am thinking just to replace the gaskets. Fuel line looks good. No leaks.
I have few questions and I would really appreciate your help / advice/ suggestions.

1. Where can I just buy the gaskets online. Do you recommend replacing the entire carb kit?
2. When I set the petcock to 'ON ' or "RES" , there is not fuel flow in the pipe. does that mean the petcock might be clogged? In one other forum I read that to start the engine after long time sitting, set the petcock to "PRI" which I did when I started for the first time. After that I changed it to "RES" since I did not fill the gas tank with a lot of fuel. So, I thought the reserve should have worked to start the engine. but it did not. Do I have to have fill the tank significantly?
3.What else could be wrong? and I should be checking?

Please advice
Regards
Naren

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2024 21:54 - 14 Oct 2024 22:02 #905120 by sf4t7
Replied by sf4t7 on topic Tuning Carb / Carb Kits
Welcome to the madness!
If there are no leaks, the carb gaskets are presently doing their job, but that's not what needs work after a long hibernation.  It's the tiny internal passages of the carbs that need to be thoroughly cleaned, which will require a complete disassembly of each carburetor.  Of course, gaskets will have to be replaced as part of that operation.  Brass parts like needles and jets should be cleaned and re-used unless damaged.  Carburetor experts here (and I'm not one of them) have many posts covering the cleaning operations.
"On" and "reserve" will not flow any fuel until there is vacuum from the engine running, so when starting you need the prime setting.
Also read Nessism's post "New owner things to know" for some good tips on getting your old bike running.
You've got lots of new friends here to answer any questions you may have.    -

Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1
Superbike bars
530 conversion
Last edit: 14 Oct 2024 22:02 by sf4t7. Reason: info
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy, Nessism, Tanknk

More
15 Oct 2024 00:09 #905124 by Wookie58
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tanknk

More
15 Oct 2024 05:12 - 15 Oct 2024 05:14 #905128 by Warren3200gt
Replied by Warren3200gt on topic Tuning Carb / Carb Kits
"Pri" = prime and is free flowing regardless of engine running or not.
"on" is only "on" when the engine is running and there is sufficient fuel in the tank. 
"res" only flows fuel when the engine is running. 

Sooo......... 

To fill the carb bowls from dry you need to turn the tap to prime. Once running you can turn to on and the bowls will stay full but won't flow more fuel once the engine is shut off. 
For bowls to fill with fuel there needs to be vents to allow the air to escape. These vents remain open regardless of the engine running or not. 
The fuel in the bowls will evaporate through these vents over a period of a few days (depending on ambient) so if not run for a few days you'll need to "Prime" your fuel bowls again to allow fuel to be drawn into the cylinders to start the engine.
This sounds like what your experiencing. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Last edit: 15 Oct 2024 05:14 by Warren3200gt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tanknk

More
15 Oct 2024 08:00 #905138 by Tanknk
Replied by Tanknk on topic Tuning Carb / Carb Kits
Thanks so much for all the responses to my post.
When I first tried to start the engine, I had set the petcock to Prime and after a few mins, I saw fuel dripping from the place where the fuel line connects to the "T" connector between the carburetors 2 and 3 (in the middle). I turned the petcock to on and then the leak stopped. after waiting for a few mins, I was able to start the engine. And that it, after that I was not able to start for good. That is the reason why I thought maybe the gaskets needs replaced.
But, now I don't see fuel leak. currently, I have removed the tank and I think I will have to remove the carb one at a time. To be honest, I am little hesitant to remove them because I don't want to mess up settings.

Is amazon good place to buy gaskets? are there any videos / instructions on how to do do this job?

Regards
Naren