Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Noob with a ‘78 650 31 Jan 2024 16:18 #894696

• freonburn
  • freonburn's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey yall like the title says I’m a noob. Not just to the forum but to motorcycles as well. I’ve been a jeep guy my whole life so I’m not new to diagnosing engines, suspensions, transmissions, etc. I may have questions at times that seem ultra basic but there’s a lot different between what I’m used to and what I’m getting into and sometimes it’s hard to wrap my brain around. Additionally, I got this bike to learn to ride on.  I may want to sell it in a year or so and would like to keep its curb appeal to an easy sell level. I may never sell it. It looks fantastic to me but I need to put money into it so changes have to be made. 

About the bike:
1978 KZ650 B
engine, transmission, brakes, ignition and wheels all appear stock. 
PO chopped the frame and didn’t weld in the hoop that’s typical 
regulator has been removed but not replaced 
seat is aftermarket and annoying to remove 
all lights were included and damaged

initially I was told it just needed the battery to be charged and it’ll start but I actually had to realign and clean up the points. 

I do have a couple of questions that I’d love to source opinions from yall on. 
1. The front brake feels like trash. I was thinking about replacing and upgrading in the process. Is there a recommended upgrade for the whole system? 
2. I like to camp and go up into the mountains. I was thinking about adding saddle bags, sissy bar bag, or panniers to it just so I don’t have to ride a few hours with a heavy bag on my back. Has anyone added a system to one of these with the frame chop? If so, I would love to see a picture. 
3. I mentioned the idea of the tall sissy bar to a couple of friends and their reaction was not that positive. More like I was speaking blasphemy to the devout. Is it that weird an idea?
4. I initially thought this was being done in the cafe racer style. Is that accurate or does it fit something else?
Jeep guy living in a motorcycle world

1978 KZ650 B
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Noob with a ‘78 650 01 Feb 2024 19:29 #894738

• Cra-z1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 85
Looking at that MC I would say yeas you do have brake issues. I would just rebuild the Caliper, replace that master cylinder and purchase new brake lines as the bike is 40 + yeas old. Not Sure what you mean that the regulator has been removed and not replaced. Does it run? Sounds like it's your first bike. Bottom line is, get it road worthy which includes not only the brakes but tires, ignition-charging system, suspension, engine tune (valve and cam chain adjustment, carb adjustment). Do you have a manual? if not get one and start reading. Most shops wont work on that old of a bike. Dont worry about a sissybar quite yet let alone camping. Get some miles under your belt. You may want to move up to a larger bike to Handle the camping part in the future. 

Welcome to the site. and take your time and be safe

Noob with a ‘78 650 01 Feb 2024 20:29 #894740

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 247
Welcome.  We were all noobs once - the members here are always willing to share their knowhow and experience.
Factory Kawasaki manual is best - if you can't find one to buy, you can access it here on KZR under the articles section.
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1

Last edit: by sf4t7. Reason: add FSM info

Noob with a ‘78 650 02 Feb 2024 00:14 #894747

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1788
Welcome from the UK

Noob with a ‘78 650 02 Feb 2024 08:32 #894754

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
Definitely rebuild the brakes, front and rear. You might be surprised how well they can work. Factory parts are best. You can order what is still available through your local Kawasaki dealer, or through companies like Partzilla. I have also had really good luck with Brakecrafters.

The shoes on the rear brake need to be replaced no matter how good they look. The friction material is bonded to the backing plates, and the bonding agent will deteriorate over time, whether the bike is ridden or not. An unexpected lockup can ruin a beautiful afternoon.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Noob with a ‘78 650 02 Feb 2024 12:46 #894756

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1788
+1 to everything that has been said so far. With regards what "style" it is - that is a matter of opinion that drives much debate, is it cafe/brat/tracker/restomod etc. IMHO it is what ever you want it to be, just about everything that has the rear fender removed is advertised as a "cafe racer" but being an Englishman of a certain age I remember the original cafe bikes like Triton's etc and very few resemble that pure cafe style (I exclude thatgpzguy's Yamaha from this statement as it's on the money as is Kelly's Honda)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy, howardhb, Kelly E

Last edit: by Wookie58.

Noob with a ‘78 650 02 Feb 2024 16:34 #894763

• Kelly E
  • User
  • Never Give Up. Never Surrender
  • Thank you received: 305
That was the point of the build, make it look like it was built in the 70's.
Thanks
The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda Sabre 700
1984 Honda Interceptor 1000
1994 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
And more
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7, howardhb, Wookie58

Noob with a ‘78 650 15 Feb 2024 17:23 #895297

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 374
Welcome.
Sissy bars are a bit old school, and you don't see them much anymore.
Unless you are a member of the Japanese Bosozoku.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• Page: