New Member from Texas w/ a "New to me" old bike.

More
26 Mar 2022 23:10 #864353 by KaosKontrol
Hello everyone. I recently purchased my first bike. It's an old '81 KZ305-A1 CSR...with wiring issues...that I seem to have somehow made worse. Anyways, I'm pretty decent with mechanical stuff, I can also design and 3D-print parts, and I plan on building a cnc router to further that ambition. (Especially since parts for these old bikes are getting harder to find as time goes on...and I like making stuff so why not.) I'm not so good with wiring when it comes to anything that's not a computer, cnc related machines, or an old firebird/trans am. The wiring on this bike is...well...
Let's just say it looks like it was designed by an insane asylum patient on a good day. Also the wiring diagram looks like it was drawn by the kindergarten version of Picaso...in crayon....during a massive heatwave...in the desert. Or at least that's what it looks like to me when I'm sitting there trying to decipher it like an Egyptologist trying to discern what Gaelic characters mean. So yea...this should be...fun 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2022 07:16 #864363 by rstnick
Welcome.
Post up what wiring issues you are having.
Wiring is really not that difficult.
Try to think of it as Plumbing, if that helps.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
27 Mar 2022 08:14 - 27 Mar 2022 10:23 #864369 by KaosKontrol
Replied by KaosKontrol on topic New Member from Texas w/ a "New to me" old bike.

Welcome.
Post up what wiring issues you are having.
Wiring is really not that difficult.
Try to think of it as Plumbing, if that helps.

Well...let's see. I connected the chassis ground wire to the negative terminal of the batt and the wire that's supposed to be the primary ground throughout the bike (black/yellow according to the wiring diagram) fried up behind the headlight area. There were no other connections made to the negative terminal of the battery. There's a solid brown wire that connects to a few things, terminates in a male bullet connector, and then connects to...absolutely nothing? It's missing the turn signal relay off the bike which is connected to a solid brown wire (which eventually splices into the previous solid brown wire) and a solid orange wire. The orange wire is connected to the center pole of the turn signal switch. (I dismantled the switch to figure that out.) There's a yellow/black wire that has 3 connection points and only one is connected to anything: grounded to chassis via a ring terminal. There is a white/blue wire with 2 connection points and neither side is connected to anything. According to the wiring diagram, the yellow/black and the white/blue wire are for aftermarket electronics add-ons though...I think...maybe? I might be forgetting something but I'm pretty sure I covered the majority. I can post pics if needed.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2022 10:23 by KaosKontrol.

More
27 Mar 2022 14:02 #864378 by KaosKontrol
Replied by KaosKontrol on topic New Member from Texas w/ a "New to me" old bike.
I've actually been posting about it on this forum in this thread:  kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/615574-el...81-kz305-chain-drive

It's the same bike pretty much.