NEW TO THE FORUM NEW TO RIDING

• quantum sloth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Oct 2020 04:23 #836384 by quantum sloth
NEW TO THE FORUM NEW TO RIDING was created by quantum sloth
So i have recently acquired a 1979 kz400 h1 ltd. This is my first bike and I taught myself how to ride. I would just like to give everyone a detailed description to everything that i have done to the bike before i start asking questions but i don't feel like typing it out again for a third time at the moment. im going to use my phone to dictate voice to text then copy and paste it to here. and that will be my second post so then i will hopefully be approved to post freely

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
More
08 Oct 2020 05:17 #836385 by ThatGPzGuy
Replied by ThatGPzGuy on topic NEW TO THE FORUM NEW TO RIDING
Welcome. the KZ400 is a good bike to learn on. It would be a good idea to take the MSF course as well. It can be dangerous out there.
Good Luck.

Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"
The following user(s) said Thank You: quantum sloth

• quantum sloth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Oct 2020 20:42 #836443 by quantum sloth
Replied by quantum sloth on topic NEW TO THE FORUM NEW TO RIDING
So here's the rundown on what I've done to my bike when I first got it I it wouldn't run so I got the battery going and then I had weak spark so I got a new coil and then of course I clean the carbs a several times and then it would I would get it going or whatever and I could go on about a mile or two or whatever down the road and it would die and it couldn't get it going sometimes sometimes I could maybe but usually the battery would die before and then I couldn't kick start it either and then I adjust the points and gap and come to find out there's a timing advanced or behind the points so that was another few breakdowns and I got that working good and then it rode well for the next several rides and then now it's it's kind of doing the same thing I haven't really looked into maybe those those adjustments are sticking again I I guess but I guess I'm going to look into that but yeah if I if I wait a little while it will it will start right up so I'm not thinking it's those timing advancement weights I'm thinking it's more something to do with the the petcock valve because I had to get a new one and I decided to get some cheap cheapo because I couldn't find one that was reasonable that was OEM a few days have gone by and the handle on it broke off well I'm still using that one because it doesn't leak or whatever but I'm thinking maybe that one doesn't allow for an vacuum or something for the gas so the
problem
is is when like after I'm you know in si
xth gear usually it just starts to like almost like it's out of gas any suggestions I'm going to check those advancement weights again
Attachments: