After burn/Exhaust

More
25 Jul 2020 13:55 #831434 by Warren3200gt
Replied by Warren3200gt on topic After burn/Exhaust
I can agree re noise polution however its not joe public that would worry me its the guys/girls neighbours. Joe public would only experience it occasionally, the neighbours would have to endure it every time he/she went out and came home.
Now dont get me wrong, my zrx has a muzzy exhaust and my black 650 has a delkevic and both are loud but I try not to gun them when close to home. On the open road might be a different proposition :evil:
Is see no disadvantage from a tuning or performance stand point though. The efficient expulsion of exhaust gases is the exhaust design concept so on that basis no baffle should aid things.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2020 13:57 #831435 by Warren3200gt

urankjj wrote: This thread is quite baffling.....;)

Should that have been "quiet baffling":laugh:

More
25 Jul 2020 14:05 #831436 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic After burn/Exhaust

Warren3200gt wrote: I can agree re noise polution however its not joe public that would worry me its the guys/girls neighbours. Joe public would only experience it occasionally, the neighbours would have to endure it every time he/she went out and came home.
Now dont get me wrong, my zrx has a muzzy exhaust and my black 650 has a delkevic and both are loud but I try not to gun them when close to home. On the open road might be a different proposition :evil:
Is see no disadvantage from a tuning or performance stand point though. The efficient expulsion of exhaust gases is the exhaust design concept so on that basis no baffle should aid things.

Where I used to live there was some dude a few houses down with a loud ass Harley. He would light the thing off at 6AM and idle down the street, trying (and failing) to not disturb the neighbors. Once he turned the corner of the street he would grab a handful of throttle and jet away. I always felt sorry for the people on the corner, and every road that the guy rode down where he was using the throttle. That's the thing: these guys think that just as long as they keep the noise down in their neighborhood all is well, but it isn't.

More
25 Jul 2020 14:13 - 25 Jul 2020 14:27 #831438 by Warren3200gt
Dave, I can sympathise with your experiences although I would say that was some 20 - 30 years ago. Nowadays the only bikes I tend to be asked to work on are classics and consequently are treated as such by their owners and the younger crowds are on commuter scooters so wouldn't even want to talk to us old fouggies much less have the humility to ask us to fix em. Youngsters know everything ya know :whistle:

Last edit: 25 Jul 2020 14:27 by Warren3200gt.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
25 Jul 2020 15:16 - 26 Jul 2020 05:24 #831441 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic After burn/Exhaust
Let start by saying Im enjoying this back and forth chatter ..
Yes 20 or 30 years ago for sure for the most part. BUT go looking into our own forum even this year.
We still get the guys showing off the bikes with cut off exhausts eliminating the collectors and Mufflers for sure.
I dont take many shots at them as a Moderator , but observe the rest of the members circle them like hungry sharks with blood in the water.
Regarding open exhaust not hurting , but helping the motors I think of two things. From my perspective I look at a motor which needs to have balance in all its components. . Meaning a stock motor or one close to stock ( NON race ) as not always benefiting from opening up the pipe and is sometimes hurt . This is based on dyno comparison and heads up racing before and after a change is made.. .. Next is the guy who pulls the baffle and believes since he is now loud , he must be faster. I cant tell you the number of bikes I have beaten in races
where they were now slower or not any faster at the finish line . My whole riding style Back in the day was done in 1/4 mile race increments with locals I
ran day after day and raced them thru every mod they or I did to our rides.
Well that is my opinion , but yes it is dated but based on my personal experiences and mine alone
Cheers and Be Well
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Last edit: 26 Jul 2020 05:24 by Street Fighter LTD.

More
25 Jul 2020 15:40 #831442 by Warren3200gt
Ok, given that manufacturers sell their bikes with quiet baffled exhausts and race bikes have much louder mostly straight through exhausts.
The aim of manufacturers is to sell bikes for street use so must adhere to acceptable social standard.
The aim of race bikes is to achieve the highest bhp available from the relevant series capacity.
Agreed the race bike will require jetting to make the most of the pipe therefore a street bike with a straight through pipe and relevent jetting SHOULD be more powerful than the same bike in stock street configuration. Everything else being equal.

The art is getting the jetting right for the pipe.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
25 Jul 2020 17:29 #831443 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic After burn/Exhaust
I knew you were a smart man
And all is right in the world
Have a great day my friend .
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
25 Jul 2020 18:55 - 25 Jul 2020 18:56 #831455 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic After burn/Exhaust

Warren3200gt wrote: Ok, given that manufacturers sell their bikes with quiet baffled exhausts and race bikes have much louder mostly straight through exhausts.
The aim of manufacturers is to sell bikes for street use so must adhere to acceptable social standard.
The aim of race bikes is to achieve the highest bhp available from the relevant series capacity.
Agreed the race bike will require jetting to make the most of the pipe therefore a street bike with a straight through pipe and relevent jetting SHOULD be more powerful than the same bike in stock street configuration. Everything else being equal.

The art is getting the jetting right for the pipe.

One thing to keep in mind is that a race bike on the track uses a LOT of wide open throttle and doesn't really run much at all at what would be considered street / traffic / etc. throttle positions. Consequently, it makes sense to tune a race bike to make maximum HP at high rpm and/or wide open throttle even though low to moderate throttle positions may not be so good. Tuning like this is great for the track but may not be very good at all for street use. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 25 Jul 2020 18:56 by 650ed.

More
25 Jul 2020 23:43 #831469 by Mitch`s KZ
Replied by Mitch`s KZ on topic After burn/Exhaust
makes a lot of sense ed thank you Mitch

Mitch

More
26 Jul 2020 05:13 #831473 by Mitch`s KZ
So let me ask you guys since I dont know what kind of header is on this bike. How hard would it be to replace the muffler part of the it, with one with a baffle in it ?

Mitch

More
26 Jul 2020 06:39 #831480 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic After burn/Exhaust
It could be really easy, or it could involve a good bit of fabrication. It really depends on exactly what is on he bike. On some systems the header pipes, collector, mid-pipe and muffler are all separate parts. On tot her systems, some or all of those parts are welded together. There is also quite a bit of variation in the length and diameter of each part.
It may be as simple as getting a baffle for that system or it may be a project with a good bit of fabrication involved. I would not see it as a deal breaker either way. If it turns out to be more work than you are willing or able to get into, you should be able to come up with a fairly inexpensive option in the used market.
Delkevic seems to be the go to choice these days for a new system. Good quality and and reasonable price.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
27 Jul 2020 00:13 #831541 by Mitch`s KZ
ya your right, I think ill have the shop order me a kerker. So itll be 4 or 5 weeks out, but thatll give me a chance to have them do some other work to it while it sits around. Maybe a some micuni carbs will help the cause. thanks for your input. Mitch

Mitch