After burn/Exhaust

More
25 Jul 2020 09:59 #831410 by Mitch`s KZ
After burn/Exhaust was created by Mitch`s KZ
Hello Everyone. Just joined the forum. Lots of incredible information. I just recently purchased a 1977 kz 1000a from Johnny's Vintage Motorcycles in Wadsworth Ohio. I purchased A bike called the Wilson project. Which if you go to you tube, you can find A video of this bike and what they did to it to get it running again. Pretty interesting. The bike is still in Ohio. I haven't had it shipped yet. Having some more work done on it. My concern with it is this. It has a lot of after burn going on when you release the throttle , Backfiring through the exhaust. It looks to me during the rebuild the kept the kerker Header from the bike, and hes not sure of the name of the new header that he installed. I noticed when they first got it running with the kerker there was no backfire,. Now that theirs a header with an open baffle there seems to be a lot of after burn backfire. I tried to get another kerker for it, but they only make so many a year now. and It`ll be 5 weeks or so before they can ship one. My question is this does anyone think that the wrong header can cause an after burn/ backfire. Thanks Mitch`s KZ

Mitch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
25 Jul 2020 11:51 #831421 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic After burn/Exhaust
OPEN BAFFLE ??????????
Not a good thing for many reasons , Up to and including backfiring
Look at Delvec ( probably spelled wrong ) Better pipe IMO
OH and welcome to KZR
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
25 Jul 2020 12:13 - 25 Jul 2020 12:29 #831422 by Warren3200gt
Replied by Warren3200gt on topic After burn/Exhaust
Delkevic.
Why do you say an open baffle is bad? (apart from the noise). With a 4-stroke engine, the valves are all shut during the compression stroke, so you don't need any external pressure to get good compression - the cylinder is effectively sealed.
Popping and crackling on over run is generally caused by unburnt fuel in the exhaust gases. This will only ignite if there is the addition of air from an exhaust leak.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Last edit: 25 Jul 2020 12:29 by Warren3200gt.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
More
25 Jul 2020 12:30 - 25 Jul 2020 12:33 #831423 by Street Fighter LTD

Warren3200gt wrote: Delkevic.
Why do you say an open baffle is bad? (apart from the noise).

Noise is biggest as a crazy loud bike can cause more non riders to want our bikes banned from areas.
Tuning issues Most , / Not all bikes run better with open pipes... A little back pressure. doesnt hurt
Open headers are for racing where I would tune for max power . Biggest cams , biggest ports and valves, etc ...= poor fuel management / mileage.
Now all that being said So this makes me a hypocrite ...As . I run a open pipe LOL But mine is on a turbo race motor and I also run a LONG tailpipe to control noise and it works quite nicely Short pipes contribute to more noise . Some will also warn of the exhaust valves being exposed to cold air when motor is turned off and could warp the valves Just My 2 or 3 cents

PS This should spark some opinions :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Last edit: 25 Jul 2020 12:33 by Street Fighter LTD.

More
25 Jul 2020 12:40 #831424 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic After burn/Exhaust
Regarding opinions, I share Street Fighters. To the point that I won't help people running an open exhaust fix their bike.

More
25 Jul 2020 12:57 #831426 by Mitch`s KZ
Replied by Mitch`s KZ on topic After burn/Exhaust
Hey guys thanks for your input. I've heard different things on running with no baffle. I thought that a baffle would help with some back pressure and eliminate backfire. And I've always heard it was bad for the bike, but thank u for pointing out that the valves are closed, and ur right its left over fuel in the exhaust that is not been burnt off and that causes a deceleration backfire. It's really bad on this bike. You guys think it's a carberator issue. The guy took the air box off and put on pods. If it's a carberator issue should I try micunis with the pods or does anyone know where I can find a complete air box system. Appreciate everyone's thoughts. Thank u Mitch

Mitch

More
25 Jul 2020 12:58 #831427 by krazee1
Replied by krazee1 on topic After burn/Exhaust
IMO, a 4 cylinder with open exhaust is way less irritating than all the H.D.s running around without baffles. I'm also 67 Y.O. and don't hear quite as well as I used to, to put it mildly.(open exhaust?)

Mike

Former M.E. at Kawasaki Motors Manufacturing, Lincoln, NE
1966 W1 (the Z1 of 1966-50H.P. and 100mph!)
1974 Z1
1978 KZ1000 LTD
1976 KZ900B pile O parts
1980 KZ750E
1980 Honda XL250S (I know, wrong flavor!)

More
25 Jul 2020 13:19 #831428 by Warren3200gt
Replied by Warren3200gt on topic After burn/Exhaust

Nessism wrote: Regarding opinions, I share Street Fighters. To the point that I won't help people running an open exhaust fix their bike.

That's quite a sweeping statement. You won't help them based on what? Noise pollution, or that anyone with an open exhaust is anti social? or just oiks? or some other reason?

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

More
25 Jul 2020 13:22 #831429 by Mitch`s KZ
Replied by Mitch`s KZ on topic After burn/Exhaust
Yes your right about that Mike. I'm kinda afraid its damaging to my engine. Not sure what to do. Thinking about leaving the bike in Ohio until they can get a header from kerker and maybe I'll have them put on some micuni carbs while I'm waiting. And it'll also give me a chance to have him replace some parts that need polished. Thanks Mitch

Mitch

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
More
25 Jul 2020 13:38 #831431 by Street Fighter LTD
Hey Warren
I thought about where my opinions are rooted
In my 50 plus years of being a motorcyclist I have had to many negative experiences with open headers and straight pipe bikes.
Most bikes I have had to put a hand on with open pipes have more wrong with them than right . Examples are lack of good tuning and maintenance.
Hey Dave , fix my bike . OH no air cleaner / cheap plugged pods, / Never jetted right / air leaks etc. Valves off. Never change plugs never set timing or change points . BUT boy does it ever sound great LOL SO I get it running and the first thing they do is blast around the town at Mach 3 with their hair on fire and a big smile.
Pipes are red hot and the finish is cooked off from the raw fuel igniting in the pipes. And all this is best case because at least they had me sort thru the drivability issues.
NOW No holes in my hands as I was once that guy . As Ed said it , Now I wont touch a bike like that as the mentality of this personality
Is now they think the bike is the fastest in the world and need to prove it by setting off car alarms and rattling windows after midnite LOL
Usually the bike ended up broke as super biker never checks his oil.
Sorry , but I am jaded
Dave

More
25 Jul 2020 13:40 #831432 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic After burn/Exhaust

Warren3200gt wrote:

Nessism wrote: Regarding opinions, I share Street Fighters. To the point that I won't help people running an open exhaust fix their bike.

That's quite a sweeping statement. You won't help them based on what? Noise pollution, or that anyone with an open exhaust is anti social? or just oiks? or some other reason?

Noise pollution. And a good many people running an open exhaust don't care if they annoy people with their noise, an attitude that I choose to not support.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE

More
25 Jul 2020 13:53 #831433 by urankjj
Replied by urankjj on topic After burn/Exhaust
This thread is quite baffling.....;)