Hello from Nova Scotia! New to GPZ1100, Not new to motorcycles

More
14 Apr 2020 00:15 #823297 by DNort
Hello everyone!

After owning a 82 Kawasaki LTD 550, and then an 82 Kawasaki LTD 750, I decided to keep up my hat trick of owning 1982 kawasaki's
Late last year I've acquired a lightly (and IMO tastefully) modified 82 GPZ1100. It still has the fuel injection and it starts and drives perfectly.

Modifications include a steering dampener. An Aluminum subframe off of a Suzuki GS1000 (I have the stock one still, but I'm not sure if there were any permanent modifications to make this Suzuki subframe work, please let me know), braided steel brake lines.

All around the bike seems to be in really good shape. I plan on keeping it mostly as it is, aside from putting some of the stock bits and bobs back on, Like the stock turn signals (I got a set) and the rail that goes around teh back of the seat. (the former owner took off the rear inner fender, which looked silly IMO and also left the wiring harness for the PCM kind of exposed which I didn't like. I put that back on already)

Threads are generally useless without pics, and while she isn't perfect I think she is beautiful and I really enjoy riding her.

I have a few questions though.
1. Does anyone know the size of the bolt that goes through the helmet lock to hold the rail that goes around the seat back on? Everything is in quarantine and I'd like to avoid.

2. Anyone know how large of a rear tire I can run? I don't often go on highways but I'd like to lower my RPMs for longer trips.
Currently the rear tire is a 120/90/18

3. Any recommendations for tires in general? I plan on mostly Cruising with some occasional spirited riding.

4. Anything maintenance wise I need to keep an eye on? I heard these engines can twist cranks if you over-rev them. Is there any special maintenance needed for the fuel pump or the injection system? I typically make sure to start it and let it run for a while at least once a month during the winter.

5. The rear swingarm has been swapped for one out of a suzuki GS1000. I currently have the stock one. I plan on leaving the suzuki one in there but it seems like it makes the bike a little lower. I don't think I care too much. I imagine the Suzuki one is an upgrade as I've heard it's longer and wider. It seems to ride nice. Can anyone confirm or give me any more details about this sort of swap?

I look forward to meeting you all! Thank you in advance for any advice you may have!

82 kawasaki GPZ 1100
Mostly stock with 82 gs1000 swingarm
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
14 Apr 2020 10:39 #823337 by DoctoRot

DNort wrote: Hello everyone!

2. Anyone know how large of a rear tire I can run? I don't often go on highways but I'd like to lower my RPMs for longer trips.
Currently the rear tire is a 120/90/18

3. Any recommendations for tires in general? I plan on mostly Cruising with some occasional spirited riding.

4. Anything maintenance wise I need to keep an eye on? I heard these engines can twist cranks if you over-rev them. Is there any special maintenance needed for the fuel pump or the injection system? I typically make sure to start it and let it run for a while at least once a month during the winter.

5. The rear swingarm has been swapped for one out of a suzuki GS1000. I currently have the stock one. I plan on leaving the suzuki one in there but it seems like it makes the bike a little lower. I don't think I care too much. I imagine the Suzuki one is an upgrade as I've heard it's longer and wider. It seems to ride nice. Can anyone confirm or give me any more details about this sort of swap?

Welcome to the forum! That GPZ looks cherry!

to answer some of your questions:

1. I don't have experience with this exact model but on many other Kawasaki's I believe this is a m6 bolt. its easy enough to check by trying a known m6 bolt.

2. You are limited by the width of the wheel. you may be able to run a 130 wide tire depending on manufacturer specs. However, if you are only doing this to lower your cruising RPM the preferred method is to either increase the front sprocket or decrease the rear sprocket to change the final drive ratio. increasing the front sprocket tooth count will also extend your chain life. here is a gearing calculator

www.gearingcommander.com/

3. Avon Road riders are good, Bridgestone BT-45 are nice because they are dual compound.

4. These engines can twist cranks if you are launching them with a slick, or start modding them for big horsepower. For everyday street riding on a mild engine twisting the crank is not a concern. Other things to keep an eye out for are pretty much standard on old bikes, dodgy wiring, hard old rubber... etc. maybe someone else can chime in here.

5. That swingarm is actually off a GS1100E, it is indeed slightly longer and wider, but the biggest advantage is it is much stiffer than the stock swing-arm, and weighs less. Its a nice period correct upgrade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DNort

More
14 Apr 2020 12:30 - 14 Apr 2020 12:48 #823352 by BCScott
Welcome to the forum! The GPZ looks great. Good old Nova Scotia safety sticker gumming up the fork :) . I grew up in Dartmouth, but moved west in '79. Still go back to visit every year, though. How does your bike do next to the Z900 in the first photo?

As far as tires go, I've been happy with the performance, longevity & value of Avon Road Runners for my KZ1000.

Back in the saddle and loving it! KZ1000A1
Last edit: 14 Apr 2020 12:48 by BCScott.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DNort

More
14 Apr 2020 22:25 #823403 by DNort
Thanks for the welcome! And thank you!

Yeah. I was trying to avoid having to replace the sprockets, as it looks like they were recently replaced by the former owner and are still in good shape. I'll ride it as it is for a while but when they wear out I'll change them then. Thanks for the ratio calculator that's really helpful.

4. That's good to know. I'm have fun with it but not abuse it. It's good to know it should last me a while

5. Also great to know. The bike rides nice with it so I'll definitely keep it. It looks nice too. Hearing it's a period correct upgrade makes me happy to hear too.

Thank you!

82 kawasaki GPZ 1100

More
14 Apr 2020 22:32 #823404 by DNort
Thank you.

Haha yeah. I made a little bracket for one of my other bikes for the stickers. I may do that again with this.

I test rode a 2019 z900rs special edition (beautiful black and pearl orange) before deciding to get this. There's a lot to be said about having a new bike but I like the GPZ better. It's a bit more comfortable and I think it has more character, snd while I'm not tallented enough to ride either bike to its limits the gpz feels faster.

And that's awesome! I'm living in Fall River currently.

82 kawasaki GPZ 1100