Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New Member 26 Jan 2020 05:50 #817930

• 1980 Z1R D3
  • 1980 Z1R D3's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • A young gun with a taste for two-wheeled fun!
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello KZ Enthusiasts! I have acquired a 1980 Z1R D3 which was sitting in a garage for 25 years. Due to the neglect my son thought it would be a good idea to make this a project for the both of us. He wants to learn how to ride and work on bikes . I've ridden in years in the past but would rate myself as a novice when it comes to the technical aspects but always willing to learn. Based on my search this is the number one source of KZ information and looking to get started.

1980 Z1R D3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Member 14 Mar 2020 08:32 #820883

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationWelcome. And congratulations on finding such a cool bike (I might be a bit biased towards the Z1R).

The first step should be to get a factory service manual. The Kawasaki manuals are very detailed and also very well written. They cover the theory of operation for most of the bike systems as well, which is uncommon these days.

The back of the manual should say 1980 KZ1000-D3, but it wouldn't show that model on the cover. There are probably three or so different versions that cover this bike. Here are some examples:

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: