Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New to forum. 29 Apr 2019 14:47 #803029

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2076
Where does the hose connect to the top of the engine? The factory clean air system reed cages open directly into the exhaust ports and the reed valves prevent reverse flow.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New to forum. 29 Apr 2019 15:27 #803038

• Goin South
  • Goin South's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
It does pull some exhaust .I inspect and clean the Reed Valves on the 3k mile maintenance schedule. The right way I would think would be to pull the pull the head and plug them which I'm not going to pull the head.If you plug them without pulling the head(tapping threads) you risk metal getting into the cylinders . So what exhaust gas which is going back in has had no negative effect.I'm open to ideas for a better way.I've not had any issues doing it this way. A friend of mine some years back just plugged them at the valve cover ports and his valve cover gaskets wouldn't last between valve clearance checks.So I just started doing this some years ago.Like I said I haven't had any issues.I know the plumbing the crankcase is an old tried and true method as I've done it on none reed valve covers of earlier model engines.
GoinSouth

Last edit: by Goin South.

New to forum. 30 Apr 2019 05:09 #803072

• Goin South
  • User
You know I've been rethinking this hose placement I've been using from the valve cover to the exhaust.Even though I've had no issues with this in the past motorcycles,I think I screwed up.You questions have got me thinking and I come to realize that I could be promoting carbon build up behind the exhaust valve.I'm going to stop using this idea.I'm going to try those block off caps and see what happens.There must have been a variable when my friend capped his and started having valve cover gasket failure.He's a good mechanic and I've known him for years which doesn't mean we aren't prone to a mistakes.But I believe now I made one. Sorry guys I screwed up.
GoinSouth

New to forum. 30 Apr 2019 08:31 #803093

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2632
I like the idea but wouldn't a PCV valve help it work better? Just a suggestion.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Goin South

New to forum. 30 Apr 2019 16:34 #803118

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Beautiful bike (I posted earlier but my post seems to have disappeared)!

The two big ports on most Kz/Zx motors are not crankcase ventilation ports. They are simply ports directly into the exhaust stream. So a tube from elsewhere in the exhaust system going to those two ports won't really do anything.

Also, how do you know that the 4-into-1 collector will always be at a negative pressure relative to the crankcase? Under hard acceleration, I would expect higher pressure there unless you have no mufflers at all. I've seen exhaust systems with leaks there and the soot marks clearly indicate that at some point, there is positive pressure there (since the exhaust is puffing out of the leak). You could alleviate that possibility with a check valve between the crank vent and the exhaust, and another check valve from the crank vent open to atmosphere. Obviously anytime you are potentially pressurizing the crankcase, you run the risk of blowing oil past all the seals.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

New to forum. 30 Apr 2019 22:38 #803130

• Goin South
  • User
Your right, I sat down was do some thinking of this same thing Sunday and Monday, as I did not consider this at the time.It's nice to have a forum such as these for this reason.From my past practice what I've been doing I decided it's not a very good way after all.In fact early Tuesday morning I have pulled everything off the pipe.Thank you and everyone for your comments.I appreciate that. Thank you.
GoinSouth
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC, Street Fighter LTD

New to forum. 01 May 2019 04:53 #803138

• Goin South
  • User
What a nice surprise.Thank you KZ Rider for choosing my build/ride as Bike of the Month for May 2019.It is indeed a honor to be recognize for ones efforts and a thank you just doesn't seem to measure up to the gratitude I'm feeling at this moment .So now being in contention for Bike of the Year and for a lack of a better word WOW!! this is really cool. I really appreciate this.Thank you.
GoinSouth
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, Street Fighter LTD

New to forum. 21 May 2019 05:06 #804291

• Goin South
  • User
Updated pics.
GoinSouth
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, Street Fighter LTD

• Page: