Howdy All!

More
07 Apr 2018 10:07 #781408 by kz900robert
Howdy All! was created by kz900robert
Well, my name is Robert. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I'm inheriting my dad's KZ900. He was the original owner. The bike has been stored in a garage, but hasn't been run in over 20 years. I've ordered a Clymer manual to help get it back up and running. I'm interested in any help or suggestions to get it up and running safely. I'm sure I'll need to rebuild carbs, replace fuel lines and spark plugs. But what other things should I replace or rebuild before even attempting to starting the bike? Should I pull the motor and rebuild the entire thing? Rebuild forks? Re grease all the bearings? Replace them?

I know it needs a new exhaust system, what's a really good system for such a bike? Other than that, it still looks just like the picture. lol. I can't wait to get it out and wash the dust off. We're still in winter up here, so I don't know when that will be. But I want to start ordering things I know I'll need to get it up and going.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2018 10:46 #781418 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Howdy All!
I certainly would NOT even consider rebuilding the engine at this point. My advice would be to buy a genuine Kawasaki Service Manual for the exact year / model of the bike. After getting it I would take a look at the maintenance schedule in the manual and perform every maintenance item listed. That way you will establish a baseline that you can then use to schedule maintenance in the future. Aside from normal scheduled maintenance items, the bike will need a new battery and tires. If after all maintenance has been performed you discover there is a problem you can address that problem knowing it is not simply something related to a lack of maintenance. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZJOE900

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
07 Apr 2018 11:42 #781422 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Howdy All!
Welcome to KZR

Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
07 Apr 2018 13:49 #781431 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Howdy All!
Welcome to KZR. As Ed stated, use the Kawasaki factory service manual. I can tell you from experience, the Clymer has some serious misprints in t in regard to the torque specifications. Like the cam shaft cap bolts for example. I know I stripped an cam chain tensioner mounting bolt because it was wrong in the body of the chapter, but the value at the end of the chapter was correct. I have both, I find the Clymer useful in some cases as well. So not a waste of money that you are getting it. You can download the KZ factory service manual from the information menu on the home page of this site. You can use the "Z1" manual, although there is a more specific KZ900 service manual out there. Just search the internet. They are both very similar, but the KZ has different carburetors, etc. Put squirt or two of Marvel Mystry Oil, or Kroil in each cylinder to soak for a few days prior to turning the engine. Do everything Ed suggested and like he said, go from there.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
More
07 Apr 2018 14:08 #781434 by ThatGPzGuy
Replied by ThatGPzGuy on topic Howdy All!
Welcome. I wish my dad was cool enough to ride and have a KZ900. Alas...
Where are the pics?

Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Apr 2018 15:51 #781439 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Howdy All!
My dad said he wanted a Sportster. Never got one or any bike for that matter. He just wanted to cut down my bike. He'd be rolling around in his grave if he new I was still riding it and visiting my grandchildren on it every month.
Some dads are cool, some are just good dads and like mine, some are just slugs. At least you had a good one. B)
Steve

More
08 Apr 2018 10:02 #781471 by kz900robert
Replied by kz900robert on topic Howdy All!
Awesome, thank you for the input. I'll get my hands on that manual. Electronic if I have to, but I like to have actual books in my hands when I can. :)

More
08 Apr 2018 10:04 #781472 by kz900robert
Replied by kz900robert on topic Howdy All!
Thanks everyone for the welcomes and input. I'll get pics once I can get down to my dad's place. Most of the initial maintenance will happen at his place. I need to build a shed here where I live to keep it in. But I will document everything and upload pics as soon as I can.