• rynocampagna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Aug 2017 11:34 #770083 by rynocampagna
New Member was created by rynocampagna
Hey people,
New member here from Sacramento, CA. I have been riding bikes just about forever, but just picked up my first restoration / custom project, a 1974 KZ400. I've done a ton of wrenching on dirt bikes, but these street machines are new to me as a mechanic, other than just routine maintenance on my daily rider, a 1996 NTV650. I'll probably ask a bunch of stupid questions, but I'll try to search through the forums for my answers before I duplicate anything. I'll post up some pictures of my project as I work through it, but it has been hotter than balls in Sacramento all summer, so my time in the garage is very limited... The bike came in pieces, but it felt like there was good compression when I kicked it, so hopefully I can get this thing back on the road. The license plate was last tagged in 1985!
Cheers,
Ryno

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2017 12:10 #770085 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic New Member
Welcome to KZR...we love questions...even stupid ones :laugh:

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• JWKZ750
  • Visitor
31 Aug 2017 12:21 #770086 by JWKZ750
Replied by JWKZ750 on topic New Member

rynocampagna wrote: Hey people,
New member here from Sacramento, CA. I have been riding bikes just about forever, but just picked up my first restoration / custom project, a 1974 KZ400. I've done a ton of wrenching on dirt bikes, but these street machines are new to me as a mechanic, other than just routine maintenance on my daily rider, a 1996 NTV650. I'll probably ask a bunch of stupid questions, but I'll try to search through the forums for my answers before I duplicate anything. I'll post up some pictures of my project as I work through it, but it has been hotter than balls in Sacramento all summer, so my time in the garage is very limited... The bike came in pieces, but it felt like there was good compression when I kicked it, so hopefully I can get this thing back on the road. The license plate was last tagged in 1985!
Cheers,
Ryno

You will find this forum very helpful. Lots of knowledgeable guys (im not one of them lol) who know these bikes from top to bottom. Good luck on your build....

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
31 Aug 2017 17:56 #770108 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic New Member
Welcome to KZR
Ask away
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
31 Aug 2017 19:04 #770113 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic New Member
Welcome, yes pics, need pics. :woohoo:
Steve

• rynocampagna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Sep 2017 08:07 #770148 by rynocampagna
Replied by rynocampagna on topic New Member
So I am going to build this thing into a bit of a brat/cafe type of ride, and I guess one of my early questions is; is this KZ400 going to be a pain in the a$$ to kickstart once I get it together? I am hoping to strip a lot of the "extra" parts, but I am having trouble deciding if I should go with a low profile battery under the seat, or just scrap the battery altogether and use a battery eliminator or similar setup.

• rynocampagna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Sep 2017 08:16 #770150 by rynocampagna
Replied by rynocampagna on topic New Member
Almost forgot, here are a few gems that I took when I bought the "bike in a box," and one after I opened up the engine.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
01 Sep 2017 08:54 #770151 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic New Member
I would keep a battery on it if it were mine
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
01 Sep 2017 10:42 #770152 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New Member

rynocampagna wrote: ....... I am having trouble deciding if I should go with a low profile battery under the seat, or just scrap the battery altogether and use a battery eliminator or similar setup.

The 1974 KZ400 must have a battery for the engine to run because it uses a field coil generator. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
04 Sep 2017 13:53 #770331 by Nerdy
Replied by Nerdy on topic New Member

rynocampagna wrote: So I am going to build this thing into a bit of a brat/cafe type of ride, and I guess one of my early questions is; is this KZ400 going to be a pain in the a$$ to kickstart once I get it together? I am hoping to strip a lot of the "extra" parts, but I am having trouble deciding if I should go with a low profile battery under the seat, or just scrap the battery altogether and use a battery eliminator or similar setup.

Welcome aboard!

Don't take this the wrong way, but please do not lump brat and cafe together. They are different styles with different motivations.

If you decide to go the cafe route, you will find that there are no purpose-built commercial rearsets available. That is probably all right, because if you did install rearsets there would likely be interference issues with the kickstarter. :)

Here is a pic of my former '79 KZ400, which has a cleaned-up rear section and low bars and... that's all. The clubman bars were a test fit for the clip-ons, which I never got around to installing. (Those will go on the current project.) Overall the bike is slightly sportier than stock but hasn't really been modded enough to fit into any particular genre.

I saw one poor schmuck on CL trying to sell a stock KZ440LTD with drag bars as a 'cafe racer'. It still had the cruiser tank, the king-and-queen seat, and all the chrome. :unsure: :sick:

1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R