New to the forum/Story about my bike

More
20 Aug 2017 08:45 #769293 by Mortamie
New to the forum/Story about my bike was created by Mortamie
Hello all my name is Shawn I live in southern Idaho, I am soon to be 33 Yrs old and have really never ridden on anything bigger then a 150cc dirt bike until about 5 years ago. That is when I convinced my soon to be wife into allowing me to trade some musical instruments for a non running 1977 KZ1000 A!. My soon to be wife was ok with this trade because the bike was not running and she knew I was not a motorcycle mechanic. The thing she did not know is I spent many years turning wrench on my own vehicles and helping others so I learned to figure it out. One week after getting the KZ1000 A1 I had it up and running. I had a wedding coming up in 5 months and still didn't have the money to pay for it all.

The soon to be wife was not happy about me having a running motorcycle and urged me to sell it to pay for the wedding, so I did. I sold the bike to my father who wanted it for $1000 and there it sat for 2 1/2 years, due to him finding out he couldn't ride without his hands falling asleep. The bike was in bad shape again and yet again would not run. I tore into the bike and got it running for a second time so my father could sell the bike. Instead of it selling quickly it sat for another 2 years until one day a man he worked with offered to buy it. He sold the bike in a non running condition to this man who claimed to be a knowledgeable motorcycle mechanic.

The man could not get the bike running after stripping parts off the bike he told my father to repo it and that he would not pay any more on the bike because it could not run. Unfortunately for me this man took the complete air box setup and several other things off the bike. My father repoed the bike and then gave it back to me. So I spent some money on a new switch for the right handle bar, carb rebuild kits, and a new key for the ignition. For the third time on this same bike I dumped fresh gas into the gas tank and hooked the jumpers to the battery. I let the gas drip into the freshly rebuilt carbs and hit the start button. The bike tried starting so I kept going, all of a sudden the Kz1000 A1 roared to life. With that part out of the way it was time to fix the clutch issue. I did research on here and on YouTube to find out how to adjust the clutch. Well after a couple days I finally got the clutch adjusted and fired up the bike, no air box or air pods, I know it is not good to do. I road the bike around the block to insure it was shifting and with that I am now trying to find more parts.

I sure hope you guys don't mind me telling the story and I am glad to be here. I will post pics as soon as I can.

1977 Kz1000 A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2017 09:42 #769299 by Mortamie
Replied by Mortamie on topic New to the forum/Story about my bike

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

1977 Kz1000 A1

More
20 Aug 2017 09:44 #769300 by Mortamie

1977 Kz1000 A1
Attachments:

More
20 Aug 2017 09:45 #769301 by Mortamie

1977 Kz1000 A1
Attachments:

More
20 Aug 2017 11:45 #769306 by tthunderdan
Replied by tthunderdan on topic New to the forum/Story about my bike
Neat story, cool old bike...I wish my speedo went to 160 like that one.

Dan from Slippery Rock PA,
83kz1100a
83spectre 1100
75 Yamaha DT400
75 Yamaha DT175
80 Yamaha MX80
81 Suzuki TS100

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
20 Aug 2017 13:48 #769307 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic New to the forum/Story about my bike
I have one for sale . PM me

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Aug 2017 17:47 - 20 Aug 2017 17:49 #769321 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic New to the forum/Story about my bike

Welcome, I had a fairing like that. To heavy, all I kept was the headlight. :whistle:
Steve
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Aug 2017 17:49 by SWest.

More
20 Aug 2017 18:20 #769325 by Mortamie

SWest wrote:

Welcome, I had a fairing like that. To heavy, all I kept was the headlight. :whistle:
Steve

Ya I am thinking about getting rid of it and going to just the headlight and some blinkers. The fairing is in pretty rough shape anyway. not sure if it was stock on this bike or something someone added.

1977 Kz1000 A1

More
20 Aug 2017 18:24 #769326 by Mortamie

tthunderdan wrote: Neat story, cool old bike...I wish my speedo went to 160 like that one.

Thank you. Not sure if I would ever have the marbles to top it out though :)

1977 Kz1000 A1

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Aug 2017 18:40 #769328 by SWest

More
21 Aug 2017 22:16 #769423 by Mortamie

SWest wrote: Some truckers have 15 gears. Poky though. :whistle:
Steve

Not sure I understand your comment? Sorry

1977 Kz1000 A1

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
22 Aug 2017 06:32 #769440 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic New to the forum/Story about my bike
I had one chase me down at 100+. I'd get away from him but he'd be back a few miles later. Finally I pulled away from him til he was out of sight then left the FWY. I watched him pass "petal to the metal" looking for me. It's good to have the power.:evil:
Steve