New guy,old bike

More
10 Jul 2017 23:10 - 10 Jul 2017 23:12 #766636 by rukahs
New guy,old bike was created by rukahs
I've been lurking on here for a couple weeks, and I was kinda impressed with the layout and information on the kz's. So I decided to join up. Thank you mods for keeping this site rolling.

Anyhow, my name is Josh I just got an 83 kz750 ltd shaft (f1) for 200 with a clean title. P.O. got it from a guy who was going to Bob it. Said it needed a gasket due to oil leaking. He said it was the lower case. Well, I found leaks at the shifter shaft seal and the secondary shaft seal. Also said it cranks but doesn't have spark. I found an ignitor in the bucket of parts, hooked it up. It needed a battery, so I bought one. 33 bucks on sale. Fixed some wiring, charged the battery and, low and behold, spark. Ok. It needed a seat, found one last night, ordered it up.

Now I tried to fire it up but it was a no go. So as of now I'm waiting for a pilot jet that I found was stripped in the carb. Keihin of course. Found one tonight, ordered it up. Atleast I only had to drill the one out, somehow thankfully I didn't mess up the threads. I took the other ones out just to make sure they wouldn't strip. They are good to go ( after I clean the green crud from them)

And that brings us to this moment. Where I decided to join this wonderful site. I bought the bike as a project of course, and I was weary at first but with the forum here, and search functions I've learned quite a bit about these bikes. So thank you.

Adding a couple pics out of the 50 or so I have so far.
Oh, I'm from Minnesota if that really matters
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Jul 2017 23:12 by rukahs. Reason: Fixed run-on sentence
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwoCam, GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2017 05:33 #766651 by TwoCam
Replied by TwoCam on topic New guy,old bike
WELCOME TO THE SITE. looks like a fun project.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, rukahs

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
11 Jul 2017 05:49 #766653 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic New guy,old bike
Welcome to KZR
Lots of good information from some great members
Enjoy your new bike
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, rukahs

More
11 Jul 2017 07:36 #766664 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic New guy,old bike
Welcome to the site! Bike looks to be in pretty good shape. If you are sure you have god spark, spray some starting fluid in each carb. About 3 shots in each. Then try starting it. Should run for a least a few seconds. If it starts with starting fluid, then you will know it is a fuel issue and not electrical.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
The following user(s) said Thank You: rukahs

More
11 Jul 2017 10:18 - 11 Jul 2017 10:19 #766678 by tv_cafewannabe
Replied by tv_cafewannabe on topic New guy,old bike

KZJOE900 wrote: Welcome to the site! Bike looks to be in pretty good shape. If you are sure you have god spark, spray some starting fluid in each carb. About 3 shots in each. Then try starting it. Should run for a least a few seconds. If it starts with starting fluid, then you will know it is a fuel issue and not electrical.

+1 on this advice. If you don't like starting fluid, a tablespoon of gasoline in the plug holes will make it at least fire for a few revolutions.

Did you check the compression?

I'm also in MN in the east metro (Twin Cities). I'm doing a cafe build from an 82 KZ750 CSR. Where are you at?
Last edit: 11 Jul 2017 10:19 by tv_cafewannabe.

More
12 Jul 2017 22:36 #766826 by rukahs
Replied by rukahs on topic New guy,old bike
Thanks fellas. I would try the starting fluid/fuel trick but I have the carbs sitting on the table. I started cleaning the one and got to the point where I need to figure out a way to get the carb bracket screws to come out. Plus I've been reading the forums learning about these carbs. Quite different from the mikunis I learned on. Found out I have to drill out plugs to get to the idle adjustment.
Anyway, I'm still reading through the oh so many pages of info. Feeling like Johnny5.

Oh, and to answer a quick question, the pilot Jets are clogged, green crud all over, ran thin wire through most holes.but the issue I need to deal with is to get the carbs separated to replaces the o-rings on those two fuel overflow t's in between said carbs. (JB weld is the very last resort) But since this is the new member thread I will cease on the shop talk.

By the way, I live in burnsville.

More
15 Jul 2017 20:32 #767048 by rukahs
Replied by rukahs on topic New guy,old bike
Just a quick update---- IT'S ALIVE!!! Took it around the parking lot a couple times before I replaced the shifter seal and the secondary shaft seal. Also took out the emissions junk.

But now I'm waiting to see if the leaks are fixed. Either way. Last post about the bike in this forum. Didn't want to start another thread. (Sorry mods)

More
18 Aug 2017 15:17 #769208 by jperry
Replied by jperry on topic New guy,old bike
Greetings from Milwaukee!
Clean bike. A friend of mine just picked up the same one a few weeks ago. Exact same leak as well. I started my own thread which I will post for any future readers to cross reference. Might save them some hassle. Really appreciate the pics as well. Not alot of shots of the bike with the left side cover off.

I was wondering if you had any tips on replacing the secondary shaft seal. I'm going in blind with only the parts diagram from kawasaki. Did you end having to pull the front bezel gear housing or was there clearance? www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsDiagram/136238/1983/KZ550-M1

I am trying to get my ducks in a row before I go in. Any words of advice/caution or part numbers used are appreciated.

Cross ref.
www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/606734-98...-ltd-shaft-oil-seals

P.S. A service manual would def. help alot. Working on getting one

More
18 Aug 2017 15:44 #769209 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New guy,old bike
I'm confused. The OP has a 1983 KZ750-F1. You state that "A friend of mine just picked up the same one a few weeks ago" and you give a "Cross ref." link to a thread that also talks about a KZ750 shaft bike. But you also give a link to " www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsDiagram/136238/1983/KZ550-M1 " which shows a parts diagram for a 1983 KZ550-M1 shaft bike. Some of the KZ550-M1 parts may be the same as those on the KZ750-F1, but some parts are different. Is there a reason you are using a parts diagram for a KZ550-M1 while working on a KZ750-F1 instead of using the KZ750-F1 parts diagram? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
20 Aug 2017 05:11 - 20 Aug 2017 05:28 #769282 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic New guy,old bike
650Ed,
I don't know for sure, but in jperry's defense, the links on Kawasaki.com are labeled inconsistently. Sometimes downright misleadingly. That is how I inadverdantly posted a link for the chain drive 750.
When I go there and choose, Motorcycle<1983, I see choices for LTD, LTD Belt, Shaft, CSR. None of those is the 750-F1.

Finding the 750 F1 on Partzilla.com is a piece of pie, though there does not seem to be any reference to the seals in question on any diagram.
www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Kawasaki/...LTD+Shaft/parts.html

Where did the op find those seals??

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 20 Aug 2017 05:28 by TexasKZ.

More
20 Aug 2017 05:25 - 20 Aug 2017 05:27 #769283 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic New guy,old bike
When I go there and choose, Motorcycle<1983, I see choices for LTD, LTD Belt, Shaft, CSR. None of those is the 750-F1.

The 750-F1 is an Ltd shaft, which is one of the pull-down choices, but the linked model is the 550 version. So then what you have to do is manually enter the model in the address bar, changing it from KZ550-M1 to KZ750-F1.

httpz://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsDiagrams/1983/KZ550-M1 -->> httpz://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsDiagrams/1983/KZ750-F1
Last edit: 20 Aug 2017 05:27 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TexasKZ

More
20 Aug 2017 05:30 #769284 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic New guy,old bike
Thanks Martin. Seems that big K has some cleaning up to do on its "new" website.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough