New member - KZ750

More
21 Mar 2017 00:42 - 21 Mar 2017 00:44 #757283 by IOC750
New member - KZ750 was created by IOC750
Hi all

I bought this bike around two years ago, it's my first ever. I've been working on it on and off, here's what it looked like when I got it

It has been quite an adventure,
Mechanical work has been mostly light. I cleaned the carbs and found that one of the arms holding the floats were broken by a PO. Someone had attempted to mend it with what looked like epoxy and er, wire. The fuel tank was lined on the inside with some red resin that had started to flake and peel off. What a time I had getting that stuff out.

Exhaust pipe #3 didn't seal properly, so I cut the pipe most of the way through, bent it and welded it shut. At the same time I manufactured a bracket to fix it to the frame, as it had no additional support apart from the manifold.

For weeks I had issues with getting the bike to run consistently, only to realise that upon reinstalling the carbs, I had forgotten to reinsert the idling screw :laugh:

I have the FSM as well as a Clymer manual, but not all the proper tools needed to service the bike - I think the greatest of these being a torque wrench. Recently I took the bike to a local mechanic who sorted out a few electrical issues, rebuilt the carbs - including a new body, replacing the unit that was broken - and adjusted the valve clearance.

The top end performance is a bit low in my opinion, I was wondering whether there is some serious engine trouble. Just this week though I learned that the rear sprocket has a staggering number of 40 teeth, No wonder :laugh:

I've made a few cosmetic changes, I don't remember when I did what, anyway here's what it looks like today

There's still a lot of work to do, it is going slowly. More will follow as I have time and parts, money helps too.

I've browsed the site many times and the wealth of knowledge is invaluable. I've tried to register before but my browser gave me trouble.
Looking forward to talking with you lot.

Cheers

1980 KZ750 H1
All the way in Africa
Last edit: 21 Mar 2017 00:44 by IOC750. Reason: Formatting

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2017 20:55 #757369 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic New member - KZ750
Welcome.

Interesting project you have there. That exhaust looks like it doesn't fit at all. it hangs way too low. Some of your problems might be caused by it. if the carbs weren't rejetted at the same time. I'd look for a better replacement and get a proper muffler then get the carb tuned to it. ZR7/ZR750 units are a great replacement for cheap.

At least it looks like the airbox is still there and hasn't been replaced by pods. That makes life so much easier, especially with the CV carbs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
22 Mar 2017 01:23 #757381 by IOC750
Replied by IOC750 on topic New member - KZ750
The exhaust is something special alright. Replacing it is on my list, as soon as the more critical issues are resolved.

The airbox had a tear which I mended with powder filler and cryanoacrylate adhesive. I didn't have an air filter, so I took the airbox to a local salvage yard and got a paper filter with a metal housing which almost plugs the hole snugly. I cut a ring out of nitrile rubber to help seal the top, I'll take pictures sometime. I am fully aware that the custom air filter is affecting jetting one way or another.

I live in South Africa so parts are hard to come by. These older bike parts are found either by weeks of searching or chancing upon the right guy that has what you need. Unfortunately we don't have something like Z1 locally.

Cheers

1980 KZ750 H1
All the way in Africa