New member, Kz and bobber

More
08 Nov 2016 21:43 - 08 Nov 2016 21:45 #747606 by Rastus
New member, Kz and bobber was created by Rastus
I'm new here, been lurking for a bit. I'm 50 years old, and live in middle Tennessee. I've primarily been a musician early on in life and after starting a family concentrating on trading in and servicing guitars, amps, basses, keys and other related gear-concentrating on guitars primarily.

Years ago, as a poor, young, guitar player I discovered that I could get by easier with a motorcycle rather than a car-and that a very nice motorcycle could be had for the price of a below average car. And, they were great fun.
I owned several, starting on a Y

Attachment image-2.jpeg not found

amaha XS850 triple with shaft drive, moving on to a 81 Honda 750 Custom, then to a Kawasaki GPZ 550, then to a Honda V65 Magna, and finally to a Suzuki GS 850L.
About 6 months after my son was born, I was coming home from my second shift job and headed to a band rehearsal, when a semi trailer came inches from sides wiping me. I had been in tight spots before, but I had a young wife and new baby counting on me-so I sold that big Zuki, and quit putting in time with a band. That decision probably kept me alive! But I spent many years yearning after mororcycles.
So, changes in life have come, I am more on my own than I have been in years.
Last year I traded some guitar and amp for a chopped up 81 Harley Sporstster. Neat old bike, but a complete custom that needed sorting out.
After a few months work, the bike is where I want it-a mean looking old bar hooper, with a solo saddle and an outlaw vibe. But it isn't a nice performing Japanese sport bike, and I really like those as well.
Last week a good friend called needing to sell one of his bikes as he was moving and had no place for a second bike.
He made me a sweet deal on his very clean 1981 Kawasaki KZ750E, with 39 k miles, very clean and well kept, ridden regularly all its life. It sports a set of larger mikuni carbs and a Kereker pipe.
The bike is gutsy, smooth and as sharp as I remember from my youth. It will luv and cruise with an easy swagger, or bellow at top revs while flying through the gears. I always loved the 750 size bikes best, and the KZ was the one I lusted after. The late body style is my favorite. The bike just had a pair of new purellis mounted up last month. I have already put 350 miles on it in this beautiful weather.
I love it and plan on doing further cafe style mods while doing my best to retain its style and update it with modern performance options .
For twenty years I put my bikes on the back burner to raise my family. Now I have started my bike collection.
I have my loud and knarley Harley iron head bobber, and my graceful, comfy, and lightning quick KZ!
I look forward to being here and learning and working on my awesome KZ.

PS -I plan on adding a fully faired and bagged 74 BMW R75/5 for touring duty and two up travel, deal is done, just doing the gas tank up and rebuilding carbs on that one!

Attachment image.jpeg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Nov 2016 21:45 by Rastus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2016 10:51 #747637 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic New member, Kz and bobber
Welcome Rastus. Nice find you scored there. Sounds like you are enjoying it already. I was away from bikes for 20 years as well. Sold my last one in 93, since I felt I used up all 9 lives already. At least with regards to close calls. Then in 2011, I found my KZ. My kids are not fully grown yet, but I take it pretty easy these days. I just didn't want to exit early without doing one of the things I truly enjoy in life. Up to three bikes right now. Would have more but no room for anymore. Welcome aboard.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
09 Nov 2016 12:00 #747646 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic New member, Kz and bobber
Welcome, I too had to take a break to raise my kids. Now it's Dad's turn. :woohoo:
Steve