Just picked up a 1982 KZ440

More
08 Jul 2016 17:28 #734307 by jdwitt
Just picked up a 1982 KZ440 was created by jdwitt
Hello everyone. My name is Jon. I'm located in Naperville IL. Over the weekend I just picked myself up a 1982 KZ440 D4 LTD Belt drive.
I know nothing about these bikes. I was on craigslist, and saw a cool bobber. Well that guy sold it from under me, so I started searching more, and found the 440. All stock, and mint. I figured I will just do the bobber project myself. My question though is; when I went on NADA to look at the value of the bike the 440D4 LTD belt drive is coming up quite a bit higher value compared to the other models. I have tried to research this, but I am coming up empty. Is there a reason why this bike has a higher value according to NADA? Is the KZ 440 D4 LTD belt drive a rare bike? Any help or insight on the matter would be great. Just wondering if this is a bike I should keep stock and clean, and get another project, or cut it up and make a bobber out of it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2016 18:39 #734315 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Just picked up a 1982 KZ440
Welcome. I suggest you post some pictures of the bike. If it really is ALL stock and original I would urge you not to cut it up as you will sharply decrease its value. You would be better to sell it to someone looking for a totally stock bike. These bikes are quite old and fewer and fewer of them are in original stock condition, so those that are command a premium price. If you sell it you should be able to get enough $$ to buy another bike and fund the modifications. Incidentally, making a custom bike out of a belt drive 440 is not a great idea. Once the belt is shot you will discover than finding a replacement is impossible or outrageously expensive. A chain drive belt is a better alternative. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
08 Jul 2016 20:42 #734333 by jdwitt
Replied by jdwitt on topic Just picked up a 1982 KZ440
Thanks. I wasn't really that concerned about the value of the bike once I start doing the work. I'm building it for me, not for resale. But that being said, if the bike is better off in stock form i.e. Limited edition, more desirable stock, collectible, ect.. Then I will keep the bike stock, and get a more basic one to customize. As hard as the belt drive goes; the hardtail that I was planning on doing to it will stretch the backend out 3-4 inches. The factory belt wouldn't work. I would have to look at switching over to chain drive anyways. Or find a bigger belt (personally I like the idea of a belt drive stretch bobber) Its not allowing me to attach photos from my phone. I'll have to try and upload from my computer.

More
08 Jul 2016 21:35 #734336 by jdwitt
This should have worked. Here are some photos. I don't have a lot yet.

Attachment IMG_4432[1].jpg not found

Attachment IMG_4438[1].jpg not found

Attachment IMG_4440[1].jpg not found

Attachments:

More
10 Jul 2016 06:00 #734425 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic Just picked up a 1982 KZ440
That is a good looking bike. I would leave it unmolested.
There are a lot better candidates to cut up.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
10 Jul 2016 08:33 - 10 Jul 2016 08:37 #734441 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic Just picked up a 1982 KZ440
Stock, nearly all original KZ survivors are getting to be rare in nearly all sizes and models. If they are bigger than 750 cc even more so since there is a huge market in Japan for them since they weren't legal there when they were new.

They might not be commanding huge prices right now but I'll be willing to bet they will be going up sharply in the next few years.

Honda CBs are drying up and finding an survivor will run you nearly as much as a new production bike. Yamaha XSs are starting to do the same.

People are now trying to snatch up Kawasakis and Suzukis and hack them up like they did to the others because they weren't as "cool" a few years back and are still plentiful and at the back of many a garage.

So, you can contribute to the rarity of KZs by hacking on yours. You could leave it alone enjoy it as is and know its survivor. Maybe hold onto it for a few years and you might even be able to pass it on for a good capital gain to someone that really appreciates it

It's your bike do what you want, Personally I would find one in slightly less condition, that is a toss up between scrapping and resurrecting as a cafe or bobber.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2016 08:37 by GPzMOD750.

More
12 Jul 2016 15:45 #734717 by jdwitt
Still haven't figured out what I want to do with the bike. I'm going to run through everything, and make sure it's all good. The rear brakes are a little soft. Ordered a full gasket kit for the engine. Going to give it a real good bath. Then I'll decide what I want to do from there. I might list it, and see what I get. Or I might still convert it. I have some time with it. Not like I need to decide tomorrow. It was going to be a winter project anyways.