Introductions and a 81 GPZ550

More
04 Jul 2016 08:36 #733790 by Dorre
Introductions and a 81 GPZ550 was created by Dorre
Hi,

My first bike was a GPZ550 and I've always regretted selling it. Fast forward almost 30 years and I've just bought another.

There are some issues with the motor but its running and shifts really smoothly, There are a few oil leaks around the base of the cylinders and it is burning a little oil so maybe its time to freshen up the top end.

The frame and body work is in great condition and It came with a spare Tank, Side Panels and Tail. I've always loved the Eddie Lawson bike so I bought it with the intent of trying to build something similar. I'll keep the better set of body work in case I want to swap it back to red some day.

The only really bad part are the exhausts. They are original and they are rotten :(

I'm probably going to have a lot of dumb questions as I proceed so I hope you will go easy on me

I also have a 05 ZX10r but I'm really looking forward to riding a GPZ again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Jul 2016 10:46 - 04 Jul 2016 10:47 #733803 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Introductions and a 81 GPZ550
Welcome, pics, need pics. :woohoo: I was impressed with the one I had last year. B) Six speeds, I don't have six. :( I had to sell it but I'd buy one again. I bought one after the wreck in 86, I bought a KZ 550 for $500. Got the bug again so I put Bossie back on the road. B)
Steve

Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Jul 2016 10:47 by SWest.

More
04 Jul 2016 10:58 #733807 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Introductions and a 81 GPZ550
The '81 GPz550 is a sweet little bike. The nicest looking of the entire line in my opinion. I had one back in the day and greatly regret selling it.

Good luck with your new toy and please post up some nice photos when you get the chance.