Joining up - 83 1100 LTD + Texas Sidecar Rig

• RockyMtnRoadRash
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Feb 2016 08:48 #712853 by RockyMtnRoadRash
Joining up - 83 1100 LTD + Texas Sidecar Rig was created by RockyMtnRoadRash
So there I was, hunting around for a new rig to replace the long gone Ural. Lo and Behold I find an ad for "Sidecar with Free Motorcycle" out in Portland. The Sidecar was immaculate and a smoking deal. I could buy it, dump the ratbag bike and stick it to something else. WOO.

Then I got a Vet bill, and my basement flooded, and suddenly the plus-sized UJM stuck to the tub seems a little more sensible in monetary terms.

So hi, here I am! My "free motorcycle" is under consideration for "Actual pusher" The litany of badness is typically of a bike this old that's been ignored, notably:

-Idle jet clogged, others a near-certainty.
-Charging system does not charge, not shocking. :silly:
-Back brake lever sticky, TBD whether it's just rust and crud on the pivot or glop in the system, or due to the right side crash the tank tells a tale of.
-Speaking of tank, it's rusty. Go figure.
-All things rubber (hoses, tires, fork seals, air intake boots) are hardened cracky crapola.
-SPIDERS LIVING IN THE SEAT OMG!
-Mysterious road cheese under final drive, TBD whether that's naturally occuring PNW cheese or exotic leaky shaft cheese.

Despite all this nonsense, when the battery is charged externally and choke out to bypass the idle system, the thing fires right up and hums happily, so the scary hard/impossible to fix compression issues that seems to end the life of most bikes is not a thing.

Howdy!

Nerding it up, 5 years and counting at Wheelnerds.com

-Ratbag 83 1100 LTD attached to a Texas Sidecar Ranger. Color matching is something that happens to other people.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
28 Feb 2016 13:11 - 28 Feb 2016 13:16 #712890 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Joining up - 83 1100 LTD + Texas Sidecar Rig
Welcome Rocky.
B)

Sounds like your willing to tackle quite the project.
Got any pictures of the beauty to share?

:silly:

I've kinda of wanted a side car rig. I could take the dog, or maybe the wife. :whistle:
I have seen a number of hacks in my area, even a company building new sidecars at the bike show this year.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Last edit: 28 Feb 2016 13:16 by rstnick.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 Feb 2016 13:56 #712909 by SWest

• RockyMtnRoadRash
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Feb 2016 21:23 - 28 Feb 2016 21:25 #713010 by RockyMtnRoadRash
Replied by RockyMtnRoadRash on topic Joining up - 83 1100 LTD + Texas Sidecar Rig
This is a rigid outfit. Leaners are exceedingly rare, and useless in the winter which is one of my primary sidecar needs. That and I'm a lazy packer and prefer to just toss whatever comes to mind in the tub.

Pics are all on the phone for the moment. Will post when more practical.

Nerding it up, 5 years and counting at Wheelnerds.com

-Ratbag 83 1100 LTD attached to a Texas Sidecar Ranger. Color matching is something that happens to other people.
Last edit: 28 Feb 2016 21:25 by RockyMtnRoadRash.