New KZ owner

More
18 Oct 2015 09:09 - 18 Oct 2015 09:13 #695062 by punisher11b
Replied by punisher11b on topic New KZ owner
True. If it's not running below 3k rpm then idle circuit seems likely. However with the initial condition of running rich at idle ( if I'm correctly interpreting the initial post :unsure: ), you may also want to pay special attention to the choke circuit and determine if it's causing the rich conditions at lower rpms. That's about the only two things I can think of other than needle clip position that would richen the mix at lower rpms. On a side note, super jealous of that bike :laugh:

- good luck
Last edit: 18 Oct 2015 09:13 by punisher11b.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2015 09:32 #695064 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic New KZ owner

punisher11b wrote: True. If it's not running below 3k rpm then idle circuit seems likely. However with the initial condition of running rich at idle ( if I'm correctly interpreting the initial post :unsure: ), you may also want to pay special attention to the choke circuit and determine if it's causing the rich conditions at lower rpms. That's about the only two things I can think of other than needle clip position that would richen the mix at lower rpms. On a side note, super jealous of that bike :laugh:

Yes! It's a sweetheart

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

• djblingbling1
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Oct 2015 10:47 #695073 by djblingbling1
Replied by djblingbling1 on topic New KZ owner
Ok ill try and be a bit more detailed....got the bike and rebuilt the carb, cleaned it which it wasnt dirty anyway, new jets, ect. Bike wouldn't kick over unless I put no choke, and adjusted the idle screw...as it warms the idle rises so I play with the idle screw.....I can get it to idle wherever I want, but when I go and then let off the gas it dips and then rises, and if I dont set the idle at 3k it dips so low it kills it.

This is with the clip in position 2...in 3 it ran great great once warm but wouldnt start with the choke and I had to mess with the idle.....something is keeping it from getting enough air..........the air screw I set in to where it was seated and then backed it out a 1 1/4 like the manual said. Every other screw ect is seated firmly.

More
18 Oct 2015 11:02 #695074 by punisher11b
Yeah, that's were I got the idea it was running rich at lower rpm range. Now I think I get it, it idles fine but dies when a load is applied at lower rpm correct? It should run with the choke on. I agree with you in It sounds like it was better at the third needle clip position and the problem is not enough air with just the idle circuit. I think adjusting the air screw may be your next step. Some combo of air screw and needle clip positions should get that bike running.

- good luck

• djblingbling1
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Oct 2015 11:38 #695076 by djblingbling1
3rd position ran best minus needing more air, How much play in the air screw do I really have? Ive considered a pod air filter but I really want to leave the bike stock if I can......I think ill go back to the stock needle clip and mess with the air screw a bit.

More
18 Oct 2015 11:47 - 18 Oct 2015 11:49 #695077 by punisher11b
I would stay far away from pods IMO. Here is some info about fine tuning the air screw I found.
www.kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/298366-carb-setting-kz200
I would think you should at least be able to go a full turn in each direction.

- good luck
Last edit: 18 Oct 2015 11:49 by punisher11b.

• djblingbling1
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Oct 2015 11:54 #695079 by djblingbling1
Just to clarify is the pilot air screw the same as the air screw? My manual shows pilot jet and air screw, just want to make sure im set. Everything internally is seated, outside on the left I have idle and air screws. Air screw is 1 1/4 out from seat, idle screw is ajusted as it warms.

More
18 Oct 2015 12:04 #695080 by punisher11b
Yeah it is, I would start by turning it half a turn to increase air and see how it responds.

- good luck

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Oct 2015 12:36 #695084 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic New KZ owner
Start over. Bench sync the carbs. Clean stock jets. See if it will idle. See if choke works. Needles in center position. If good, go from there.
Steve

More
18 Oct 2015 13:18 #695089 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New KZ owner
Noting there to bench sync - there's only 1 carb. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
18 Oct 2015 13:41 #695091 by mopguy
Replied by mopguy on topic New KZ owner
A vacuum leak will cause high revs, along with what has been said here look also for leaks on your carb boot, it can be something simple like a vacuum leak.

I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Oct 2015 14:41 #695102 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic New KZ owner

650ed wrote: Noting there to bench sync - there's only 1 carb. Ed

OK, set the carb on the bench, install stock jets and go from there.
Yes, could be a leak at the head.
Steve