New guy from Ohio with 82' 750 LTD, sidecar bound

More
28 Sep 2015 16:48 - 28 Sep 2015 17:00 #692411 by akolleth
Unfortunately I am going to start out being a tease- no photos of the bike yet. Just put my deposit down Sunday and will pick it up Wednesday. Pics will be forthcoming.

this is my first bike (well technically second). After getting my M endorsement last fall, I spent the whole year trying desperately to get a 77 Goldwing up and running from a PO that swore it was a daily rider. Yeah learned my lesson on that one. After finally diagnosing the issue as being terrible compression, I decided enough was enough and sadly sold it. My entore first season of riding was gone, with only a lot of sweat and frustration to show for it.

So the search began for my new- first bike. Ran across an ad for a 81 Kawasdaki 750/4, got it for very reasonable price. Mostly because Its not pretty, with a lot of weathered paint and a torn seat, but most importantly it runs. Started right up, and the guy was able to run it up and down the street really well. Well thats one huge leap over the Goldwing already in that it runs.

Found it its actually a 82 LTD. My plans are to couple her with the sidecar I had sitting in the garage for the Goldwing. I am a sidecar fan and want to go that route over riding her as a single. the sidecar is a Ural tub, heavy and steel. Great look to it, and it has the same weathered look to the paint, so it matches well to the new 750. Ironically the previous owner had it mounted to a Kawasaki of some sort when I bought it. Its fate I tell you that the sidecar is going back on a Kawasaki.

This is a pic from the PO

And one in my garage (not the best shot)

One neat thing is the 750 LTD has a few features that actually make it handy for sidecars. The one I got has a 4 into 1 left hand exhaust. Sidecars in the US mount on the right and use the frame to mount to. Exhausts on the right can sometimes get in the way of mounting, not with a left hand exhaust.

Plus the 750 LTD has leading leg forks, where the axle for the front wheel is forward of the center line of the fork. This reduces trail. Adding leading leg forks (or earles forks, or even leading link forks) is a very common side car design to help with steering and control with the sidecar. I have heard others on sidecar forums even go as far as calling it power steering for sidecars. Its not uncommon for sidecar owners to drop another 1K on fork adjustments like a custom triple tree or leading leg forks to reduce the trail. And lucky me, Kawasaki did it for me without even having to ask or pay any extra :P

Issues right off the bat is no airbox at all. I am already scrounging Ebay and other sources for one. I am not going with pods, I want to do as little as possible to the stock configuration, at least for the start. Once I have a chance to really ride it and figure out what I want, well then I may start to think of customizing it a bit.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long. And you have burned so very, very brightly Roy.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2015 17:00 by akolleth.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 Sep 2015 18:46 #692434 by SWest
Welcome.
The Gold Wing would have handled it well. I'm not so sure about the 750. :unsure:
Steve

More
29 Sep 2015 00:14 #692444 by akolleth
hi- yeah the Gl1000 was a nice tug for sidecars indeed, but from what I have seen I think the KZ should be fine. From what I have read the Kz750 ltd on paper is rated at 74 HP, the Goldwing was rated at 78. The bike that this sidecar originally came from was a Ural, which only had 41 hp and a very similar weight (478 Ural versus 498 KZ).

I am definitely new to KZ's but I think at least as far as power I should be alright. If there is anything I am missing (as I often do :laugh: ) please let me know. I would rather know now than after I spend $1500 for mounting it up.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long. And you have burned so very, very brightly Roy.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Sep 2015 02:25 #692448 by SWest
Side cars can be a hand full. As long as it can be disconnected quickly, I guess it will be OK. I'd get use to the bike first and be sure of it's running. Also it limits what you can do in a emergency situation. I'm constantly looking for that "Hole shot" in case some bone head pulls a dumb move. I can get out of most anything, a three wheeler can't.
Steve

More
29 Sep 2015 02:26 #692449 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic New guy from Ohio with 82' 750 LTD, sidecar bound
Make darn sure the sidecar is mounted correctly & the brackets are suitable. Someone in the KZR Archives reported that his brackets broke when he stopped for fuel. very lucky. I shudder to think what would've happened at speed.

In addition to making certain the brackets themselves are up to snuff, I would be sure to use hardened/strong fasteners.
Note: stainless steel isn't necessarily the best/strongest choice.

More
29 Sep 2015 03:23 - 29 Sep 2015 03:46 #692454 by akolleth
Well I pretty much have my mind set on having a sidecar rig. I know its not the same as 2 wheel riding, but I am okay with the limitations. I am not looking for a screamer to go 90 MPh on the highway, I am looking for a leisurely stroll at 45 down side roads.

As for the safety of the mounting- part of the reason the mounting is going to cost so much is I am having it professionally done. There is a well respected sidecar builder (Freedom Sidecars) about 4 hours away that will make/install a custom set of mounts, and will dial it in correctly this winter. I am not taking a chance on doing it myself-

Freedom Sidecars

Last edit: 29 Sep 2015 03:46 by akolleth.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
29 Sep 2015 15:24 #692542 by TexasKZ
Having a shop with expertise in sidecar mounts is a good idea. It is more complicated than most folks think. Also, they (hopefully) will check the KZ frame closely for cracked welds, rust and such. Assuming it is solid, the KZ will be light years better than the Urinal for a hack.

What brand is the exhaust? A lefty is pretty unusual.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough