Are clubman bars dangerous?

More
15 Aug 2015 08:06 #685843 by 38special
Are clubman bars dangerous? was created by 38special
Hello all, brand spankin new to to the forum and bikes in general. I looked all over the web for any evidence of this "problem" but I couldn't find anything, so here I am! This form has proved helpful on more than one occasion as I was getting my bike up and running.

I got my kz750 spectre running and made it down to a local shop that does a lot of cafe/brat work on old bikes and what not, as I was talking with the owner about making my bike more cafe inspired I mentioned that i had ordered clubman bars to try out and he quickly retorted, "oh don't get those, they'll make you crash." His reasoning being the bars would put you too far forward and something to do with all the weight up front and if you hit something in the road it'll jar you and make you crash.

So the question being, have I made a mistake? Is there general knowledge out there saying I shouldn't put clubmans on my kz750? It was either going to be clubmans or super bike bars, because the stock bars sit too high for my 6'4" frame and i hate slouching, i'd rather lean forward a bit. Any help at all is appreciated!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2015 08:39 #685848 by scubaanders
Replied by scubaanders on topic Are clubman bars dangerous?
Life is dangerous but hardly Clubmans.

But they offer a quite cumbersome riding position. Sitting leaning forward can have it advantages if you are on a racing bike, but I guess you are not taking your Specter to the track.

Then if mounted downwards like clip-ons you will lose a lot of momentum if your front wheel starts to wobble and it can be a bit of a struggle to get back in control, not to mention that you might get thumbs squashed between the bars and the tank. I thought it looked spanking when I was 18 :woohoo: :woohoo: and had a KZ500, but after a couple of adrenalin pumping experiences :blink: they got replaced. ie There is a reason the 80’s AMA superbikes rider mounted “Superbike handlebars”.

So if you like, it try it, then you know.

And if you die, it will not be the handlebars, it will be the speed that kills you.

A

Gpz750R1 1982
Gpz750A1 1983
Gpz1100A2 1984
FZ750 1985
Gpz900R -91

More
15 Aug 2015 08:47 #685849 by 38special
Replied by 38special on topic Are clubman bars dangerous?
Thanks! I figured it's worth a try, after all I'm still young. haha Maybe i'll grab some superbike bars just incase, probably not a bad thing to have anyway for another project.

More
15 Aug 2015 09:13 #685851 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Are clubman bars dangerous?
Euro touring bars or super bike bars are the wonderful compromise!

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
15 Aug 2015 19:38 - 15 Aug 2015 20:04 #685905 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Are clubman bars dangerous?
Clubmans are not dangerous.
They may not be the best suited bars for some bikes.
My bike has been stable with Clubman bars, no wobbles.
Even went to an 18" front wheel, and have the forks up in the trees just under an inch, all lowering the front end and quickening the steering..

I agree with the others, a Superbike bar, something with a little raise in them from flat would probably be best on a Spectre.
I have used all types of bars on my kz650, starting with stock's 5~6 inch raise, to lower bars with 1~2 inch raise.
Currently I have Clubman bars on my KZ, but adding the fairing I have necessistated the use on Clubman bars.
Only type that would fit.
It took a while to get used to them, and yes tank interference is a factor, turning radius increases.
At first with the Clubmans my wrists got sore.
Using my torso to support myself instead of my hands helped.
I later found some handle bar pull backs, which allows the bars to be moved back a few inches.
This helped the riding position further.

When I first put on the bars, others had said using Clubman bars with stock positioned footpegs could get uncomfortable.
I rode a few years that way, then repositioned the footpegs further back using late model sportbike controls.
Is a better fit with the Clubmans, is more sporty, but I'm not sure the Spectre's foot position will be as easy to adapt.
The Spectre's may even be more forward than my KZ's stock.

[IMG

[IMG

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Last edit: 15 Aug 2015 20:04 by rstnick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 38special