New KZ owner checking in

More
13 Jul 2015 06:23 - 13 Jul 2015 06:26 #680666 by rctreadaway
New KZ owner checking in was created by rctreadaway
Just wanted to say hello since I haven't really had much to contribute yet as I'm still lurking and taking in info and gathering ideas for my bike. This is my first KZ, and first kawasaki product for that matter. I just sold a 1980 Yamaha XS850 cafe project I was working on but got tired of tinkering with. I've had a real interest in the older import bikes for a while now, especially because you just don't see them around anymore other than a possible CB sighting. I've owned a few Harleys and an R6 and 600rr and they just never really done it for me.

Anyways I picked up my KZ almost a month ago. It's already had a good bit of time/money put into it with the swingarm swap, CR special carbs, pingel petcock, corbin seat, dyna ignition, woodcraft clip ons and a kerker exhaust that was a little beat up, so I hacked the megaphone off. But it needed some tuning and maintenance items addressed. I mainly wanted to get it reliable and looking decent for the summer until I tear it apart this winter for powder coating and a mono shock conversion/front end swap.

Over the past month I've added a lot of newer 09-12 ZX6R parts (Rear sets, brake/clutch perches, left hand controls) just to keep a consistent theme. Also got the APE breather and cam covers. K&N pod filters replaced the Keihin velocity stacks. Spiegler brake lines to ditch the splitter for a cleaner look. The rear is still on the to do list but it'll have to be custom ordered. I ditched the bit factory instrument cluster for a Koso T&T gauge. And the most important was the wiring. I went back behind the previous owner, soldering up connections that were made with wire nuts and/or electrical tape and removed excess wiring like the reserve lighting unit, brake light malfunction unit, etc. Several pounds of extra brackets were removed and discarded. I don't want to call it any particular kind of build as i'm just going with my personal tastes but it'll be a mix of cafe and stripped down drag bike styling.

Dropped it off yesterday to get the carbs synced and properly tuned. Can't wait to actually ride it further than a few blocks! Also looking forward to being a part of the forum so if you have any questions about anything I've done feel free to ask and I'll be happy to help! Thanks

EDIT: First pic was from the previous owner. Wires aren't pink. They're actually red Taylor wires! Middle pic is from a week or so ago. Last pic is from yesterday, taking it to get tuned up.

1980 KZ1000 LTD -
CR Special Carbs/Kerker Exhaust/K&N Pods/Dyna Ign
'09 ZX6R Controls/Rearsets
'06 GSXR1000 Suspension (to be installed)
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Jul 2015 06:26 by rctreadaway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Jul 2015 06:32 #680672 by SWest

More
13 Jul 2015 10:23 #680701 by fixitmann
Replied by fixitmann on topic New KZ owner checking in
Welcome to KZR!!!

So the old Rocker gets out his bike to make a ton before he takes his leave. Up on the A1 by Scotch Corner
just like it used to be. And as he flies --- tears in his eyes ---
his wind-whipped words echo the final take and he hits the trunk road doing around 120 with no room left to brake.

More
13 Jul 2015 12:56 #680718 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic New KZ owner checking in
Welcome !!

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!