Hello from Augusta, GA

More
11 May 2015 21:01 #671695 by TideRunner
Hello from Augusta, GA was created by TideRunner
Story Time!

My friend's girlfriend just recently told me that her father had 3 bikes at her grandmother's house. Jokingly I asked if I could take one off of their hands. I got a text this morning saying that a 1981 KZ750 could be mine for $250. It is disassembled from when it was worked on when after it seized up on on the previous owner. Sadly, he died and it is still disassembled. I'm going to take a look at everything tomorrow, unless a case, cylinder, or head is cracked, I'm going to buy it.

Is there anything I should especially look for?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 May 2015 21:43 #671697 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Hello from Augusta, GA
I hope that's not the front wheel. :woohoo: Just kidding, if all the parts are there and the fenders, gauges, side covers and tank are there, it might be worth building. If not pieces/parts. More pics?
Steve

More
11 May 2015 21:57 #671699 by TideRunner
Replied by TideRunner on topic Hello from Augusta, GA
The owner is currently in FL and is storing it at his mom's house. My friend only took the one picture. I'm just really hoping the engine is fine after it seizing on him.

More
12 May 2015 03:54 - 12 May 2015 06:16 #671714 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Hello from Augusta, GA
$250 is too much money for a bike that is totally broken down, scattered around, and has a frozen motor (pic below). You have no idea what pieces are missing and how many $$$$$$$$$$ it may take to repair the broken bits; remember - these engines don't seize unless they are severely abused (as in run with no oil) so it is very likely other damage (like fried bearings, ruined clutch, etc.) was done. Plus even if your time is only worth $1 per hour you are going to put an awful lot into that thing. At this point it's only good for parts, and if you don't need the parts to repair a like model it isn't worth much to you. Personally, I would definitely pass. Ed

Attachment 00003a-30.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 May 2015 06:16 by 650ed.

More
12 May 2015 11:30 #671782 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Hello from Augusta, GA

650ed wrote: $250 is too much money for a bike that is totally broken down, scattered around, and has a frozen motor (pic below). You have no idea what pieces are missing and how many $$$$$$$$$$ it may take to repair the broken bits; remember - these engines don't seize unless they are severely abused (as in run with no oil) so it is very likely other damage (like fried bearings, ruined clutch, etc.) was done. Plus even if your time is only worth $1 per hour you are going to put an awful lot into that thing. At this point it's only good for parts, and if you don't need the parts to repair a like model it isn't worth much to you. Personally, I would definitely pass. Ed

Attachment 00003a-30.jpg not found

Unless you are a hard core bike mechanic and flip bikes, I agree 100%.
Even if you already have a bike just like this one, one that is a rolling chassis with a free engine... this purchase is just a bunch of parts to toss in the corner of your shop to be used when you need something scavenged from it.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

More
13 May 2015 07:36 #671922 by TideRunner
so i went to go look at it. the previous owner has a brand new engine from the looks of it. new rods, pistons, crank, valves, etc. etc. There's a whole bike there and then some, and while i'm not an enthusiast that likes to flip bikes. I do like having a project like this on the back burner. Still up in the air about it...i figure, worst case scenario, i can re-sell alot of it for more than 250

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 May 2015 07:49 #671924 by SWest
YUP. There's a guy here that needs a front end.
Steve

More
13 May 2015 08:08 #671925 by 650ed
So the engine case piece I circled in the image below is not the engine you would be trying to repair for this bike?
Ed

Attachment 00003a-32.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
13 May 2015 11:15 - 13 May 2015 11:24 #671946 by TideRunner
OH LORD no! i'd have 3 sets of cylinders. 2 complete engines, one disassembled.

Disclaimer: i dont have a fancy camera, nor do i have any idea how to take pictures in any particular "good" way. sorry in advance

and forgive me if i dont get these parts right that may common sense to you, this will possibly be my first bike, outside of the 2 stroke dirtbike.

The bottom of the crank case on the old one broke if i recall correctly. and the attached water pump (best guess)??? In any case the cylinder isnt too bad, honestly i can press that out and press in new sleeves. Thanks for bearing with me guys and gals.

The rest of the big items seem to be there, i could only find on front calliper, but i may have just missed it in the 20 boxes that i went through. The only thing i'm not certain on is all the fasteners...they are in multiple folger's cans.
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 May 2015 11:24 by TideRunner. Reason: Pictures!

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 May 2015 13:18 #671959 by SWest
There's no water pump on that engine. :ohmy:
Steve

More
13 May 2015 13:41 #671961 by TideRunner
:blush: DANG! i was hoping i'd get close! i have no idea what the broken thingy is.

More
13 May 2015 13:44 #671963 by 650ed
That broken thingy doesn't look like any KZ part I've ever seen. It does look like some sort of water pump - but remember your KZ is air cooled. The only time it is water cooled is when you get caught in a rain storm. :laugh: Ed