Did I pay too much?

• sleepinsilvia23
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 May 2015 07:41 #670878 by sleepinsilvia23
Did I pay too much? was created by sleepinsilvia23
Hello,

I have been looking for my first motorcycle/ project bike for a while now and after many high prices and negotiations across my area I recently put some money down on a 79 KZ750 twin.

I really wanted a bike that was running and was not concerned with paint or appeal. I am just looking for something to learn to ride on, use for a short commute, and also have as a project to wrench on.

The 750b is in good running condition with 20k miles. The title is clean. It just had a new rear tire put on, carbs cleaned, master cylinder replaced and brake bleed. Everything appears to be stock except for the Kerker exhaust. Paint is in ok condition but does not appear to be stock. The seller (who runs a shop and seems like a reputable business owner) informed me that this bike is road ready and in good enough condition to ride home and pass inspection.

Total price I will pay is $1000. I am in an area where these old bikes seem to be high priced (East Coast) and I really have not found any acceptable base bikes that are in good running condition for this price.

I have read a ton about old 70s Japanese bikes but have recently found a few topics where people described the 750 twin as worthless and not a good rider. Obviously with every model there will be people saying good things and bad things. I know the bike is underpowered but I am not concerned with power or speed at the moment. I am looking for some people with experience in KZs to chime in on this deal and potentially tell me how dumb I am or that I didn't screw up too badly.

Am I just having buyers remorse or did I overpay for the bike?

Thank you for your time,

Jordan

79' KZ750B4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2015 08:35 #670881 by DSummerlin
Replied by DSummerlin on topic Did I pay too much?
you did fine. a grand ain't what it used to be....

78 KZ650
82 KZ1000 LTD
99 ZRX 1100
The following user(s) said Thank You: sleepinsilvia23

More
06 May 2015 08:40 #670882 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Did I pay too much?
Buyers remorse for sure
the 750 twin is a very cool bike. If it runs and passes inspection for $1000 I'd say it's a good deal. There are a few twin owners here who will surely be along soon
post a photo when you can

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
06 May 2015 09:26 - 06 May 2015 09:29 #670883 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Did I pay too much?
Hi and welcome to KZR,

First thing, $1000 for a solid running bike is fair money. When you want to move on if you keep the bike in good running condition you will get your money back, may even make a buck or two.

However you should evaluate the bike thoroughly because little things can add up pretty quickly. Make sure the tires are in good shape and not weather cracking on the side walls, a set of tires will easily run $200. Both breaks should feel firm and not be leaking, Check the window in the master cylinders to see if it the fluid looks rusty. Feel around the fork seals for a leak, they are a common issue on older bikes. The 750 twin is electric start only, so make sure the battery is in good condition. A decent battery for that bike is nearly $100. The starter clutch is a weak point, if it sounds funny or slips when cranking it over that's a problem. Make sure it still has the factory air box and not individual pod filters, you don't need that headache when you learning to ride.

It doesn't take much and before you know it you've spent $500... so look it over well.

The 750 is a nice bike, they get a bad rap because the 650 and 750 four cylinder bikes are faster, more sporty, and more common ( also easier to get parts for). The only real fault they have is some parts are very hard to find. The twins are reliable, well built, smooth running and easy to drive. They generally sell for less than the 4 cylinder bikes, so you get good value, if the bike is in good shape.

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro
Last edit: 06 May 2015 09:29 by Tyler.

More
06 May 2015 10:10 #670886 by New 750
Replied by New 750 on topic Did I pay too much?
I have a 1977 KZ750 twin, my second bike, my first was a yamaha xs400 twin, so that is my only comparison, but for me I would not say underpowered! It has alot of low end grunt! Top speed is just over 105,but with my limited experience it is very fun on twisty country roads, and braked good, (first bike was drums front and rear) so way better then that, all in all I really enjoy my 750 alot, plus it's super easy to wrench on and parts are available online, so no problem there! Good luck and have fun with it!

1977 kawasaki KZ750

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
06 May 2015 11:24 #670897 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Did I pay too much?
were i live, pretty much any running bike that needs nothing for $1000 is a steal. welcome the KZrider.

More
06 May 2015 17:24 #670921 by Zephyrrider
Replied by Zephyrrider on topic Did I pay too much?
You did great Jordan Never seen a good running Kawasaki 750 road bike for a $1000 here -
maybe only a trail bike !
Got any photos ?

Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.

• sleepinsilvia23
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 May 2015 20:07 #670941 by sleepinsilvia23
Replied by sleepinsilvia23 on topic Did I pay too much?
Thank you everyone for your input and replies.

I have definitely included a lot in my budget while I was searching including price of title, registration, insurance, and gear.

Tyler, I did include all of those things into my check over the bike. Obviously have much more to get into once I get it back to the house. The seller took the bike around the block as well. Fork seals not leaking and it still has the stock airbox which I am happy about. This bike actually does have a kickstart. I believe the 76 -79 KZ750Bs had both electric and kick?

The left carb was leaking from the screw in the bowl but the seller agreed that he would have it stopped before I take the bike.

I do need to dig into the starter clutch because there is an apparent issue with the bolts backing out and getting jammed up. If anyone has a link with more info on this I would definitely appreciate it.

I'll throw some pictures up tomorrow or Friday.

Thanks again guys. Looking forward to interacting on here soon.

Jordan

79' KZ750B4

More
06 May 2015 20:35 #670944 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Did I pay too much?
Please get a factory service manual before diving into this.

www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/597968-st...ng-on-my-kz750-h-ltd

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
06 May 2015 22:57 #670949 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Did I pay too much?
Indeed I'm wrong on that one, you do have a kick start too. TexasKZ is right, the first part you need to buy is the service manual!

Congrats on your purchase, welcome to the world of wrenchin' and ridin'

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

More
07 May 2015 00:52 - 07 May 2015 01:01 #670960 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Did I pay too much?
Here's what you need... PM if you are interested.... This manual covers 1979 through 1983,
Sometimes I wish I hadn't sold mine a few years ago. Good "torque" street motor. Plenty fast enough to blow most any car right off the road
Yeah, it was heavy, a freight train in the city but with my Kerkers headers, properly set up carburetors and a one tooth smaller counter shaft sprocket, ...quite fun!

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 May 2015 01:01 by missionkz.

More
07 May 2015 05:38 - 07 May 2015 05:44 #670974 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Did I pay too much?
First of all, anyone knocking a 40 year old bike because it wasn't a performance bike is being a little ridiculous. There is no bike from back then that has any chance of beating any modern sports bike without a ton of modifications. What really matters is how reliable it is, and how much of a pain is it to maintain.

The KZ750 twins are very reliable, and relatively easy to maintain. The only part that may give you a headache is the valve adjustment. The shims are difficult to get in the correct size. Other than that, I haven't heard of any other common problems that are any different from any other make or model of bike from back then.

A good runner for a $1000 that you can ride home is a good deal around here (Chicago).

Keeping it stock will make it easier to maintain, but then again some people go all out on these twins:

www.flickr.com/photos/ultrajunk/2921078570
Last edit: 07 May 2015 05:44 by loudhvx.