Did I pay too much?

More
07 May 2015 05:50 - 07 May 2015 05:51 #670976 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Did I pay too much?

sleepinsilvia23 wrote: Thank you everyone for your input and replies.
I do need to dig into the starter clutch because there is an apparent issue with the bolts backing out and getting jammed up. If anyone has a link with more info on this I would definitely appreciate it.

I don't know anything about repairing the starter clutch, but since that detail is kinda buried (& might get overlooked), maybe someone else can shed some light.
Last edit: 07 May 2015 05:51 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sleepinsilvia23

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sleepinsilvia23
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 May 2015 09:29 #670995 by sleepinsilvia23
Replied by sleepinsilvia23 on topic Did I pay too much?
So I guess the starter clutch issues are with more than just the twin 750s. Very interesting.
I have about 5 threads/links about different issues with the starter clutch so I will continue to research it. The starter sounded fine the few times the bike was started.

I do have a manual, asked about it one for all of my prospective buys. Love having an old manual to look through, so much information. I used one 100 times for my older cars.

Loudhvx, that thing is wild, I love that the account its posted under is Ultrajunk :laugh: .

Gonna go do some paperwork this afternoon and have a friend who has experience with bikes ride the bike the 40 miles home (definitely will be supplying dinner).

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate all of the responses. I will start a new thread when I can get some pictures up tomorrow.

Jordan

79' KZ750B4

More
08 May 2015 04:59 #671099 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Did I pay too much?
Jordan,
Welcome to the forum. I feel any running, full size bike with a title is worth a grand. Have fun and don't worry about it.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
08 May 2015 09:47 - 08 May 2015 09:48 #671127 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Did I pay too much?
I did do one repair on a 750 twin where something went wrong on the starter clutch and broke the alternator wires. That was 20 years ago, so I can't recall the details, but the repair was pretty easy.

Since the starter clutch on the 750 twin is under the alternator, it's not the hassle that it is on inline-fours. As long as you can get parts, it should be pretty easy to change out or repair.
Last edit: 08 May 2015 09:48 by loudhvx.

More
11 May 2015 10:58 #671547 by fixitmann
Replied by fixitmann on topic Did I pay too much?
Welcome and can't add much to the good advice you have already gotten.
I do like the sound of those big twins!!

So the old Rocker gets out his bike to make a ton before he takes his leave. Up on the A1 by Scotch Corner
just like it used to be. And as he flies --- tears in his eyes ---
his wind-whipped words echo the final take and he hits the trunk road doing around 120 with no room left to brake.

• Kzhollen
  • User
  • just a young hooligan with a bike and an ego
More
07 Aug 2015 22:47 #684876 by Kzhollen
Replied by Kzhollen on topic Did I pay too much?
First street bike I ever rode was a honda vf750. I read a lot before I rode and thought the same thing "underpowered". Almost killed myself thinking that. Any 750 has plenty of get it power. And as a reference I just saw a 77 kz900 barely running with no title sell for over two grand in small town Kansas.

"Just an angry young punk acting tame for societies sake"
Cali: 79 kawasaki kz1000. Yeah. Guess I like older girls.

More
08 Aug 2015 15:36 #684984 by Jbosh
Replied by Jbosh on topic Did I pay too much?
Jordan, welcome to KZR! You are in good company here. Thanks for inviting us into the first chapter of your 750 twin.

As long as I get to learn something, I'm happy!