new members : mingle with the crowd first...

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Apr 2015 16:37 #668443 by SWest
I go to my local Yamaha dealer. They're friendly. Other shops will work on it and say I can order it for you.
BS. :angry: (looking for a pigeon)
Beaumont Kawasaki won't even try if it's a older bike and if they do, it's 4 times the price.
When I got Bossie back on the road, I went to the local shops and there aren't many, all I saw was dollar signs in their eyes as they offered to order parts. I tell them I can too, no thanks and I don't go back.
Not like the old days, gone forever. :(
BTW, ordering parts means keeping the bike days, even weeks. "On back order, obsolete, we can have one made, etc."
I've worked in crooked shops. I know the scam. I quit two for that reason. If you find a good one stay with them and tell your friends. If you get GANKED by a bad one, there's YELP. That's the power of the internet.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2015 16:43 #668444 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic new members : mingle with the crowd first...

swest wrote: I go to my local Yamaha dealer. They're friendly. Other shops will work on it and say I can order it for you.
BS. :angry: (looking for a pigeon)
Beaumont Kawasaki won't even try if it's a older bike and if they do, it's 4 times the price.
When I got Bossie back on the road, I went to the local shops and there aren't many, all I saw was dollar signs in their eyes as they offered to order parts. I tell them I can too, no thanks and I don't go back.
Not like the old days, gone forever. :(
BTW, ordering parts means keeping the bike days, even weeks. "On back order, obsolete, we can have one made, etc."
I've worked in crooked shops. I know the scam. I quit two for that reason. If you find a good one stay with them and tell your friends. If you get GANKED by a bad one, there's YELP. That's the power of the internet.
Steve

Maybe my area, Spokane WA / Coeur d'alene ID are still part of the "old days."

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Apr 2015 16:51 #668446 by SWest
I live 130 miles from LA and the people up north still call me a LA asshole. You'r lucky to be in a place that still has integrity and honor.
Steve

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
More
17 Apr 2015 17:07 #668447 by Randombeat
Replied by Randombeat on topic new members : mingle with the crowd first...
I've owned a kz, and been a member here, for 6 months max. I know I've asked some dumb questions, that could've been answered by the search function, and I hope to feel I've also learned and contributed. Honestly, you guys are one of the best bunches online I have found... I have several hobbies, and kzrider is the first forum I have came to that I didn't get made to feel like an idiot for asking a simple question. I commend you peoples, and hope to one day be knowledgeable enough to be commended.... Chris out. :)

1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

More
17 Apr 2015 17:20 #668450 by jakedude

swest wrote: I live 130 miles from LA and the people up north still call me a LA asshole. You'r lucky to be in a place that still has integrity and honor.
Steve

I do think the internet has had an impact on local shops everywhere. There sales volume has fallen off so much because of places like Partzilla that they struggle to make a buck. Integrity and honor however would, in my opinion, keep customers walking in.

I lived in El Segundo working for Hughes Aircraft many moons ago. I don't know how you do it. I'll take the snow of the inland Northwest any day. Sure the riding season is shorter, but that is why they make snowmobiles.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Apr 2015 18:00 - 17 Apr 2015 18:14 #668458 by SWest
I left LA in 75, came back for work and left again for good in 78. My EX didn't believe me when I told her I had this place. No one did. I whitnessed a gang murder and the next rainy day, I packed up my cloths and told her I'm going to Sky Valley, you want to come, get on, if not, have a nice life. That was in North Hollywood. Never looked back.

Yeah, it gets windy and hot in the summer but my neighbors are 5 acres away. Better than living in that hell hole in North Hollywood. I grew up in Malibu and Santa Monica but the rent was out of reach. So here I am.
life's a trade off.
Steve
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Apr 2015 18:14 by SWest.

More
17 Apr 2015 20:49 #668473 by jakedude
looks like paradise. Glad you escaped LA.

More
17 Apr 2015 20:58 #668475 by KZP15
FYI-I bought the Kawasaki service manual and a Clymers for my ride. I won't ask unless i can't do it. TIA

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Apr 2015 21:23 #668477 by SWest
it always helps to bounce ideas off people you can trust. No harm in asking.
Steve

More
18 Apr 2015 15:10 #668574 by Kwaker2000
Replied by Kwaker2000 on topic new members : mingle with the crowd first...
i also love this forum great bunch of people ,trying to help each other thats what its all about ,repect to you all ,had a great ride out today keep them KZ s alive there great bikes
Dave

:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyrell Corp

More
19 Apr 2015 12:41 #668710 by Mellvis
Replied by Mellvis on topic new members : mingle with the crowd first...
I say ask away, just don't be upset when you get an answer you don't like. Keep it civil. If you don't like a thread, don't get involved. I have some knowledge and enjoy passing it off to others. A local KZ dealer mechanic was kind enough to take me under his wing when I was 19 and we have become really good friends. I feel the way to repay his knowledge and help is to pass it around like he did. I was lucky to learn from one of the best in the area and now I can keep my stuff going and keep stuff going for others as well.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Apr 2015 15:17 #668737 by SWest