I'm back!

More
11 Dec 2014 08:59 #655838 by badboie
I'm back after many many years away. was created by badboie
I use to be a frequent flyer here at this site back in 2006. That goes to show how long I've been away. Why? I dont really know why. I've recently started to get back into the KZ build and I happen to remember thus site and how much it helped me in the past. With my first KZ build done, I feel it's time to start anew. This new build will be a bobber build. I'm thinking of using the same bike. I'm just not into the "Fighter/Naked bike" look as much anymore. I still appreciate a well built bike no matter what style it is but I feel I need a more gritty bike... That's kinda my taste with stuff now lol, rat rods, bobbers, old beetles, VW Vans... You get the gist.

So a little update since the last time I was on back in 2006. I meet this girl. Turns out she liked me enough to put up with me and we got married in 2010. I couldn't be happier to be honest, she is perfect. Likes all the same stuff I do, which is awesome. We ended up moving to Arizona in 2012 to figure ourselves out. Kinda thought we needed to learn what it was like in a place were we had no friends or family and start new. Its been tough but we have managed. I feel we have both grown up since the move. Learning how to do things without the support of family, you learn quick what's important in life and the things you use to take advantage of. Still no kids but maybe someday...

So that was the quick and easy on my last 9 years of life. Now back yo bike talk. Below are some up-to-date pictures of my bike. As you can see the transformation from a 1981 KZ750 LTD to what it is now it dramatic. Its got a custom seat, ZXR swingarm, Kerker exhaust, Bual cowl and dual headlights, completely rebuilt engine, eBay bought blinkers, and little stuff here and there.

I've been having troubles keeping the battery charged while on a ride. I have come to the conclusion that it might be the headlights pulling too much charge from the battery and it drains it. Would this also cause the bike to die if the battery is completely dead? I figured that the generator would generate enough charge that the battery wouldn't be used while driving it. The last few times u have driven it since the headlight swap I have gone from a full battery to an hour later the bike dies and I'm stuck on the side of the road. Anybody might have an idea if what's going on, shoot me you thoughts. Anyways check out the pictures. Glad to be back!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2014 09:22 #655841 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic After 8 years, I'm back!
welcome back sir!

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
11 Dec 2014 21:21 #655883 by badboie
Replied by badboie on topic I'm back after many many years away.
Could a mod please delete the repeat topics I accidentally posted and leave the one with the 4 attached pictures. Also please move thus topic to new member, I thought I had posted in that section but I guess I didn't lol. Sorry for all the mistakes. ...

More
12 Dec 2014 06:59 #655889 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic I'm back after many many years away.

badboie wrote: ...1981 KZ750 LTD to what it is now it dramatic. Its got a custom seat, ZXR swingarm, Kerker exhaust, Bual cowl and dual headlights, completely rebuilt engine, eBay bought blinkers, and little stuff here and there.

I've been having troubles keeping the battery charged while on a ride. I have come to the conclusion that it might be the headlights pulling too much charge from the battery and it drains it. Would this also cause the bike to die if the battery is completely dead? I figured that the generator would generate enough charge that the battery wouldn't be used while driving it. The last few times u have driven it since the headlight swap I have gone from a full battery to an hour later the bike dies and I'm stuck on the side of the road. Anybody might have an idea if what's going on, shoot me you thoughts....

Welcome Back! :cheer:

Might want to consider also starting a topic in the Electrical forum about the battery issues.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
13 Dec 2014 16:30 #655982 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic I'm back after many many years away.
Badboie, I think you would have the same issue with a bad battery even with the OEM lighting. I don't think the Z charging system can keep up with the engine needs and lights at idle. The battery handles that. Had the same thing happen to me. I kept my bad battery for over a year. I'm cheap, so if the bike sat for a week, I would use the jumper on the initial start (would not kick start after the bike has been sitting for day or two). Then the kick start would work for the rest of the day. This went on for a whole year. Until it finally it got to the point where after the initial jump, iit died at a stop simply by me putting the brake light on, Then kick starting trick would not work anymore. I purchased my new battery over two weeks ago. Finally installed today, bike ran great. Probably should check on the charging system, LOL.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Dec 2014 16:44 #655984 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic I'm back after many many years away.
I'll never forget when my ex through open the door on my truck and my 1 year old son fell out, the sound of his melon hitting the ground. Thank god he has a hard head and always will. Sound familiar?

More
15 Dec 2014 11:12 #656087 by badboie
Replied by badboie on topic I'm back after many many years away.

KZJOE900 wrote: Badboie, I think you would have the same issue with a bad battery even with the OEM lighting. I don't think the Z charging system can keep up with the engine needs and lights at idle. The battery handles that. Had the same thing happen to me. I kept my bad battery for over a year. I'm cheap, so if the bike sat for a week, I would use the jumper on the initial start (would not kick start after the bike has been sitting for day or two). Then the kick start would work for the rest of the day. This went on for a whole year. Until it finally it got to the point where after the initial jump, iit died at a stop simply by me putting the brake light on, Then kick starting trick would not work anymore. I purchased my new battery over two weeks ago. Finally installed today, bike ran great. Probably should check on the charging system, LOL.

Well, I'm going to take it in and get the bike diagnosed. I'm still going to replace the headlight to the original bulb though. It might be a combination of a few things... I just hope its not going to cost a fortune to fix.

Swest.... I'm not sure what you're talking about lol. :huh:

More
15 Dec 2014 12:30 #656092 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic I'm back after many many years away.
With a good fully charged battery and a fully functional charging system, voltage measured between battery posts should be 14~15 volts at 4000 rpm.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Dec 2014 14:09 #656103 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic I'm back after many many years away.

badboie wrote:

KZJOE900 wrote: Badboie, I think you would have the same issue with a bad battery even with the OEM lighting. I don't think the Z charging system can keep up with the engine needs and lights at idle. The battery handles that. Had the same thing happen to me. I kept my bad battery for over a year. I'm cheap, so if the bike sat for a week, I would use the jumper on the initial start (would not kick start after the bike has been sitting for day or two). Then the kick start would work for the rest of the day. This went on for a whole year. Until it finally it got to the point where after the initial jump, iit died at a stop simply by me putting the brake light on, Then kick starting trick would not work anymore. I purchased my new battery over two weeks ago. Finally installed today, bike ran great. Probably should check on the charging system, LOL.

Well, I'm going to take it in and get the bike diagnosed. I'm still going to replace the headlight to the original bulb though. It might be a combination of a few things... I just hope its not going to cost a fortune to fix.

Swest.... I'm not sure what you're talking about lol. :huh:[/quote

It was just my dry humor. No offence.
Steve