i just became a proud owner of a 78 kz1000 c.

More
03 Aug 2014 03:21 #642558 by kz1000c-tim
hi i am new to this site, i just became a proud owner of a new (to me at least) 78 kz1000c. i was wondering if anyone here could help me out the bike has sat for about 4 years and wondering what all would be a good idea to do to it before she goes back into service. also if anyone has info on wiring diagrams, points timing and valve clearances that would be a great help. also also the bike came with an extra motor carbs and pipes so if anyone has trades i am open to hear them

<(" <) <(" )> (>")>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2014 07:01 #642570 by 650ed
Welcome aboard. If it was mine I would start by buying the Kawasaki Service Manual. They usually are available on eBay; be sure to get the one for your exact year/model bike.

Next, I would use the manual to perform ALL the regularly scheduled maintenance items. I would assume the previous owner neglected everything. By doing that, you set a baseline from which to measure when the next maintenance needs to be done - just as if you bought a new bike. The manual has the maintenance schedule and describes how to perform the maintenance. Of course, it also is loaded with tons of other valuable info such as how all the various systems work, how to fix stuff, etc.

The link below contains other info that should be helpful. Be sure to read the part about JIS screws under "TOOLS" as that will save you hours of grief. Also, don't miss the discussion about oil. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/589649-...r-savannah-ga#594587

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.