Drop some knowledge bombs! 750 Spectre Questions

More
28 Jul 2014 07:22 #641719 by Revuhree
Hey everyone, first post here. I've recently acquired a 750 Spectre and have some general questions for you experienced KZ riders.

The bike is an '82 750 Spectre and it needs a little carb love, clutch cable adjustment, but not much else besides a good cleaning. I've never owned nor worked on a motorcycle. I have had and worked on a CT-70 mini bike since I was a kid, but that's about it.

I'd like something to tinker with, something to improve, but I don't want to throw a ton of time and money at a bike that isn't worth it.
Here's the big question: Should I use this simply as a learning bike? Clean it up and getting it running well... and leave it at that. Or is this a bike worth putting some extra love into? Is the 4 cylinder a good engine compared to the twin? Does it have any glaring flaws, like power, ease of maintenance, mileage, etc?

I've read some reviews and things, and it seems like people thing its a pretty solid bike, but I'd like to hear some opinions from Kawasaki riders. Thanks, looking forward to using the forums!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
28 Jul 2014 08:14 #641726 by Forrest
Welcome Rev! I know some folks with this bike you speak of. Please post a picture of your new to you ride. That might help us understand what you are working with.

Generally speaking, you should be able to get this bike up to safe operating condition without dropping large dollars. However, not knowing what the previous owner has done to it lately or if it has sat for an extended amount of time here is a short list to be sure you and the bike run safely down the road:
1) Change ALL Fluids; this means oil in crankcase, hydraulic brake fluids, fork fluids AND drive shaft oil.
2) New Tires; if the mold date on your tires are 5 years or older then replace. If you have sidewall cracking( sun/U.V.) or the tread is worn down and they are less than 5 year old tires then replace.
3) New Spark Plugs.
4) Clean or replace air filter.
5) Adjust clutch.
6) Clean carburetors; if they are dirty, gummed up with old fuel then get them rebuilt by a reputable shop.
7) Clean fuel tank; if there is any old fuel or crud in tank then drain and clean thoroughly.
8) New Fuel lines and inline fuel filter.
9) New Brake Pads; if a low mileage bike you may have original brake pads -Change them asap.
10) This is a shaft drive bike right? Drain the old shaft drive oil and replace per owners/service manual.
11) Be sure your electrical system is functioning correctly plus all turnsignals, headlight, tail/brake lights.
12) Battery, get a new one.
13) Lastly but most importantly, GET GOOD PROTECTIVE GEAR FOR YOU. Helmet and armored jacket, pants, boots, gloves, etc.

This list may not seem so short when comparing what you do with your Trail 70. The difference here is that this 750 Spectre is a full-on street bike and deserves to be treated with care & respect. Your Trail 70 could get you in trouble and might get you hurt in your yard or on a trail, but you can do far more harm to yourself on this street machine. Your personal safety is top priority. You say the bike needs just a little love; carb, clutch cable, etc. Please do yourself and your loved ones a huge favor and spend some dough to be sure you and your bike are in good running order. These bikes and all the inline four variants made by Kawasaki have proven themselves for over 40 years. They are very reliable with loads of power and performance not only for their era but even compared to many modern bikes. Where are you located? Maybe a KZ Rider member nearby can help access what you have or again get this to a reputable shop. I think you will enjoy this bike and remember to have fun! Now get some pictures posted of your new ride!

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

More
28 Jul 2014 11:58 #641751 by 650ed
The KZ750 engine is very strong and reliable. Take a look at the tips in the link below. They could save you lots of money, time, and heartburn. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/589649-...r-savannah-ga#594587

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
30 Jul 2014 21:17 #642094 by Yangdawg
Hey Rev! We're both in the same boat here since I've got a '83 spectre 750 N-2 that I'm trying to fix up and it's also my first bike. I can't relate to the 750 twin version, but I know that on the few miles with the inline-4s that these bikes have plenty of power and room for the rider to grow on. (Not sure if it's just me but they're also kinda loud?) I would follow Forrest's advice with that checklist and even add on lubing cables, checking valve clearances. It took me a while to learn how to take apart this bike but don't get overly frustrated or give up. I would say that there is a solution to every problem you will run into that can be found in the forum or elsewhere online. People have been very helpful.
Ride safe!

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
30 Jul 2014 22:16 #642104 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic Drop some knowledge bombs! 750 Spectre Questions
Assuming you're a full-sized adult, you can learn on that bike and continue to ride it for years and years, it's got plenty of power, a comfy ride, decent fuel economy and it's easy to live with.

Get a windshield, saddle bags, maybe a little sissy bar and rack on the back, commute to work or hit the highway.

I put this one together for a dude a few years back...

Attachment DSC07318.jpg not found

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"
Attachments:

More
07 Aug 2014 07:23 #643018 by Revuhree
Thanks for all the thorough responses! I'll post pics as soon I start fixin' her up in a couple days.

Glad to hear everyone thinks highly of the bike, that will motivate me a bit more to put some extra time into it. I don't have any real plans for the bike except to get it running smoothly. I'm sort of a minimalist, so maybe i'll do some small mods to make it look cleaner. I guess I'll find out what I want once I start riding it, eh? :)

All the routine maintenance should be fun for me, and hopefully i don't run into many snags along the way. If I do run into bigger issues, I'll just have to be patient and enjoy the learning experience. That's what these forums are for, right?

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
07 Aug 2014 19:11 #643103 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic Drop some knowledge bombs! 750 Spectre Questions
What a refreshing attitude!

You're doing it right, man. Holler if you have any questions!

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
07 Aug 2014 20:39 #643111 by LineArtist
Replied by LineArtist on topic Drop some knowledge bombs! 750 Spectre Questions
Welcome. Before you get started find a Kawasaki factory service manual (eBay and sometimes online) and get familiar with all the different components and maintenance procedures. Also locate a pars list with diagrams in the event you need to replace broken or worn parts.

I encourage you to take a motorcycle safety course and be properly trained on how to ride safe. Some folks take the course and decide riding is not for them. Invest in good quality gear that will last and keep you warm/cool, dry and safe.

I'm a new rider with limited miles, took the course last month and wrenched my bike since November.

The experience or learning about your bike is valuable in many ways. It takes patience and time before it pays off.

Enjoy the journey and enjoy a safe ride!

'79 KZ650B3 (stock)
'79 KZ650B3 (parts bike)
'06 HD 883R