First KZ and I think I'm in love.

More
20 Jun 2014 19:17 #637341 by hai1cats
First KZ and I think I'm in love. was created by hai1cats
I'm new to owning motorcycles and quiet young. My first bike is a 1978 Kz650 C2 and to be completely honest, I love it. It needs a little love and some cosmetics but it runs like a dream. I just wanted to know where do I start. I have an experienced friend at my disposal and I'm personally a me cu a nice in training. Tell me what you think!

1978 KZ650-C2
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2014 21:32 #637360 by elfmagic17
Replied by elfmagic17 on topic First KZ and I think I'm in love.
Welcome to KZR! Nice score. They are quite easy to fall in love with. Start with getting a genuine Kawasaki repair Manuel. Then a tune-up valve lash cHeck and overall inspection to see how everything looks.

Kenny Hicks
74 Honda CB550
75 Honda CB360 (runs and rides good but not a show bike)
77 KZ650B1 (Runs Great, but needs painted and a little work.)

More
20 Jun 2014 21:40 #637361 by hai1cats
Replied by hai1cats on topic First KZ and I think I'm in love.
I actually have 2 bikes, not sure what the other one is but it came with the first and it's a parts bike. The motor runs just missing street legal requirements. Hoping to pick it up next weekend and start seeing what I have to work with. I love the C2 models paint job. It's perfect.

1978 KZ650-C2

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
21 Jun 2014 02:50 #637370 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic First KZ and I think I'm in love.
Yep get a manual, Clean all electrical connectors, make sure no rust is getting through gas, inspect tires for wear and cracks, inspect brake hoses and then shoes and pucks, do a compression check as it's always nice to see where an engine stands.. You do have a nice bike there and with a little TLC it could be a great bike. Make her safe first then make her yours. GLuck..

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
21 Jun 2014 05:14 #637376 by hai1cats
The bike pictured is 100% safe and ready to rock and roll. The parts bike, which ive yet to see, depending on its condition may get worked on and made rid able so a friend of mine can buy it and we can ride together. If it isn't worth it I'm going to keep it for OEM parts and a spare running engine. I'm going to school for auto mechanics but I'm starting to gain a liking for the simple yet complex combo of a motor and a bike. I rode BMX when I was younger so it seems as if I'm applying the knowledge of both bikes and cars to this. We'll see where it takes me!

1978 KZ650-C2

More
21 Jun 2014 07:29 - 21 Jun 2014 07:31 #637380 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic First KZ and I think I'm in love.
It runs great? Where to start?

Wash it and ride, ride, ride!

Just take care of basic maintenance. Oil change, clean/lube the chain, make sure your tires and brakes are safe, maybe lube your cables. Then get out on the road!

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys
Last edit: 21 Jun 2014 07:31 by Topper.

More
21 Jun 2014 07:34 #637381 by hai1cats
It's all insured and ready but the DMV in Kansas is a real struggle. It'll be a couple weeks before I have my liscense and can "legally" ride her. I take her round the neighborhood for daily jogs though. I'm just eager to get her out on an open stretch of road. I plan to visit some neighboring cities as soon as I'm clear to go!

1978 KZ650-C2

More
21 Jun 2014 15:01 #637424 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic First KZ and I think I'm in love.
Take a look at the info in the link below. It should be helpful. After you get the Kawasaki Service Manual read it carefully, get the right tools, and work on performing maintenance on the bike as described in the manual. Assume the previous owner neglected all maintenance. If you perform all the maintenance you will establish a baseline from which to set your maintenance schedule just as if it was a new bike. If any of the stuff is confusing ASK HERE FIRST before breaking anything. Remember - there are no dumb questions. We all started from scratch. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/589649-...r-savannah-ga#594587

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
22 Jun 2014 03:18 #637482 by hai1cats
Thank you very much for the link! It contained some very good pointers I might of missed otherwise. Since I have a week or so before I can get out and start riding I have been spending my evenings on the forums here trying to swallow as much information as I can!

1978 KZ650-C2