New to KZ in Vancouver, Canada

• Steamboat_Willy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 May 2014 23:00 #634746 by Steamboat_Willy
New to KZ in Vancouver, Canada was created by Steamboat_Willy
I'm the soon to be owner of a 1977 KZ650C. I'm new to KZ's myself, as I have only ever had Viragos before (and still do), but an old friend of mine was letting his old bike go and gave me the first crack at it, so I took it. Bike looks to be mostly stock, though with a V&H exhaust, K&N pod air filters, electric ignition, an aftermarket seat of some kind, and lower profile bars. It's also red, which seems likely to be an aftermarket paint job because as as best I can tell online the C model wasn't offered in red. It has been off road for quite a few years now though, so I know is going to need a fair bit of work to get going, but ran when it sat at least. Looking forward to the project and to getting some input here!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2014 00:07 #634749 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic New to KZ in Vancouver, Canada
Welcome to KZR, Steamboat Willy.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
31 May 2014 19:59 #634813 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic New to KZ in Vancouver, Canada
Welcome Willy.
Do post up some pictures of your KZ.
She may have body work from an other 650 model.
Some good pictures on this site of the different 650s;

www.jarlef.no/Kawasaki/Series/Z/650/z650.htm

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• Steamboat_Willy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jun 2014 13:01 #634885 by Steamboat_Willy
Replied by Steamboat_Willy on topic New to KZ in Vancouver, Canada
Here's a pic of the bike (note: right side cover was off at the time). Pretty dirty, but it's cleaning up well. Should be landing at my place next weekend. Any recommendations on sites that sell parts for these bikes, or is ebay usually the way to go?
Attachments:

More
01 Jun 2014 13:10 #634887 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New to KZ in Vancouver, Canada
You are correct, it is an aftermarket paint job. Regarding parts, it really depends on the particular part you need. Believe it or not, some parts are still available from Kawasaki, so any dealer can order them (there are a couple online dealers with pretty good prices). EBay works well for some parts, and there are several online dealers that sell obsolete parts for KZ650s. Let us know what parts you're looking for and you should find folks here will help you find them. Also, if you run into anything you're not positive about when working on the bike ask here first. There are lots of folks here with tons of experience, and asking the question before breaking something can save a LOT of headaches and $$$.

The link below contains some info that you should find helpful in working on your "new" KZ650. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/589649-...r-savannah-ga#594587

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Steamboat_Willy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jun 2014 20:47 #634958 by Steamboat_Willy
Replied by Steamboat_Willy on topic New to KZ in Vancouver, Canada
Thanks for the replies and the link! I'm sure I'll have questions and part requests as this project unfolds :) I'm looking into manuals this evening and note the suggestion to go with the proper Kawasaki one. So it begins!