New member w/ KZ1000p

More
24 May 2014 17:15 #633828 by blakeem
New member w/ KZ1000p was created by blakeem
Hi!
I've been riding just under a year and I've been spending the last few months trying to find a good second bike for a project/hobby. At first I was set on a kz650 and test rode one and loved it but the guy wanted too much. I was in Lake Havasu Arizona this weekend and bought a 1982 kz1000 police bike that was owned by a police officer and was suppository in some B movies in California as was clear from the cup holder on the radio box. :P

It has 52k miles and cost me $1200. It starts up and runs great and it surprised me how well handling these bikes are at low speed. It's in good shape and it seems well maintained. I still have a 5 hour ride back to San Diego so hopefully all goes well. He used it for trips to Vegas so I think it's up to the task,

My plans for it are to remove and sell all the police stuff and make it into a comfortable and lightly cafe racer inspired bike for long trips and group rides, My daily rider SV650 gets painful after an hour or two. I want to do it over time and on a budget so I can learn as I go without spending too much money.

Anyway here is the beast. I'll be making a build thread to track my progress and maybe get some help and ideas from you great people. It will definitely be a learning experience for me and I can't wait to get home and start.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2014 17:53 #633829 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New member w/ KZ1000p
I must say that bike looks way cool the way it is. I wouldn't change a thing about it as it looks like such a nice highway bike. I would buy something not in such nice shape to cut up into a cafe and keep the cop bike for longer trips. BTW, there is no such thing as asking too much money for a KZ650. B) Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
24 May 2014 18:29 - 24 May 2014 18:30 #633832 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic New member w/ KZ1000p
Welcome Blake.
I agree with Ed on 650 pricing. ;)

I've got a buddy with a KZ1000P.
He likes it a lot, and is usually his main ride.

I've always wondered about getting an SV650.
First I've heard they can be uncomfortable.
Don't want that.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Last edit: 24 May 2014 18:30 by rstnick.

More
24 May 2014 21:02 - 24 May 2014 22:23 #633854 by blakeem
Replied by blakeem on topic New member w/ KZ1000p

650ed wrote: I must say that bike looks way cool the way it is. I wouldn't change a thing about it as it looks like such a nice highway bike. I would buy something not in such nice shape to cut up into a cafe and keep the cop bike for longer trips. BTW, there is no such thing as asking too much money for a KZ650. B) Ed

Cruisers were never my thing but it is a nice looking bike and even the floor boards are growing on me. As soon as I took it for a ride it put a huge smile on my face. I don't want to hack anything off it if I could avoid it. I was going to remove the front fairing, freeway bars, and rear baggage. I'd put drag bars on it that were previously on my SV650, they should clear the tank without modification. I'd like to find an LTD seat that bolts right up and modify the foam into a more cafe racer shape that can still sit a passenger. I don't want a full on cafe racer because they are a dime a dozen, I want something more subtle with cues from different styles. I go for rides with a cafe racer meetup and I'm a bit out of place with my modern SV650 when everyone else has stock/custom classic bikes. :lol:

Lowest I could get him to go on a 1979 KZ650C was $1300 and it had bad rear brake master cylinder, badly re-painted, badly fit aftermarket plastic front fender, a bit rusty in some places, leaky carburetors, out of state plates with outdated registration, and hasn't been serviced in years. It ran nice and had pod filters but wasn't worth it for me. I paid less than that for this fully functional KZ1000 that was serviced within the month and once I sell all the police stuff I'd be in it maybe $800. Only issue is the fuel petcock needs to be rebuild because it leaks after a long ride when set to "ON" but when set to "PRI" it's fine.
Last edit: 24 May 2014 22:23 by blakeem.

More
24 May 2014 21:15 #633857 by blakeem

rstnick wrote: Welcome Blake.
I agree with Ed on 650 pricing. ;)

I've got a buddy with a KZ1000P.
He likes it a lot, and is usually his main ride.

I've always wondered about getting an SV650.
First I've heard they can be uncomfortable.
Don't want that.

The stock Naked SV650 is comfortable and upright but I put suburban machinery 2 club-man style bars on it so it's not so much although I love the enhanced road feel. I also got a Sargent seat that is very comfortable and helped a bit. It's mostly my legs that get cramped on long rides after an hour or two.

I will say that the KZ1000 handles much better at slow speeds than my SV650 even with the heavy police gear on it. The SV650 is very eager to fall over. :lol:

More
26 May 2014 21:09 #634098 by bl_francis
Replied by bl_francis on topic New member w/ KZ1000p
That is a nice bike. I have a 1987 police bike. I'll be watching your progress with interest. If you want to sell that backrest, I'd be interested...

1987 KZ1000 Police

More
27 May 2014 13:45 #634171 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic New member w/ KZ1000p
welcome.
cool project,
keep us posted,

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
27 May 2014 14:07 #634175 by P21
Replied by P21 on topic New member w/ KZ1000p

650ed wrote: I must say that bike looks way cool the way it is. I wouldn't change a thing about it as it looks like such a nice highway bike. I would buy something not in such nice shape to cut up into a cafe and keep the cop bike for longer trips. BTW, there is no such thing as asking too much money for a KZ650. B) Ed

i will second Ed's vote

and as for the backrest and seat i am in!

just took a ride on mine yesterday through the twisties and made some of the guys sick the way i ride my bike in them corners,i am old but still kickin azz!

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21

More
28 May 2014 16:58 #634346 by blakeem
So far I stripped off the backrest and luggage. I ordered up a single headlight and some universal brackets. I plan on holding onto the backrest for now but a soon as I find a decent kz1000 CSR LTD seat I'll sell it. I also have a 4 into 1 race exhaust, pod filters, and jet kit among other things on order.

I will say that this bike gets a lot of attention, looks, and smiles. Always older guys coming up to me that remember being chased by then when they were younger or used to own a kz. Definitely a conversation starter.