New KZ 650 owner

More
24 Jul 2013 00:10 #597998 by JVD
New KZ 650 owner was created by JVD
Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for a while and have to say this place is a nice resource to have available.

I'm new to riding and picked up a 78 KZ650 SR a while back, as sort of a project. It wasn't running and had a few issues and they've been mostly taken care of. I've learned a bunch about motorcycles and am glad to have a project that I can actually look forward to working on.

The bike has 14,800 miles on it when I got it, and was a 2 previous owner bike as far as I can see. Neither rode it much apparently, and it looks to have sat for a good part of it's life, and even had some vintage 80s tires on it when I got it. Wisconsin is rough on anything made out of metal though so it has some rust to take care of.

Then:

Now:

Work done:
  • Carbs taken off and cleaned, bench synced
  • Gas tank cleaned of rust via electrolysis and muriatic acid
  • New vacuum petcock installed (compatible bolt pattern Suzuki part)
  • New set of Shinko 712 tires installed
  • Mufflers patched with stainless steel (availability of these SR crossover pipes pretty much doesn't exist!)
  • Coil wire power mod
  • New coils, plugs, points, and condenser
  • Timing advance cleaned and lubricated
  • Slip Streamer Spitefire windshield installed
  • LED gauge lights installed
  • Brake fluid flushed
  • Cam chain tension adjusted
  • Crash guards installed
  • Kick stand angle fixed - no more wicked lean
  • minor wiring repairs
  • Lots of elbow grease into cleaning up the chrome and aluminum, with plenty more to go!
  • More that I can't remember!

Work to be done:
  • New chain and sprockets to be installed
  • New headlight, I'm thinking a nice bright halogen
  • Check valve clearances
  • sync carbs with manometer
  • more cleaning and polishing and rust removal
  • Debating on getting the Dynatek electronic ignition.... This was my introduction to points and mechanical advance, and it was kicking my butt for a while, I think I have it figured out now though :laugh:

1978 KZ650D1A SR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2013 00:18 #597999 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New KZ 650 owner
Welcome aboard! Wow, you've done a lot already and the bike looks nice. Here's a link for a direct replacement 7" halogen headlight. I've been using these for years and have been pleased.

www.summitracing.com/parts/WAG-H6024/

Also, here's a link to some info that may be helpful in maintaining your bike. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/589649-...r-savannah-ga#594587

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.