Just bought a new project.

More
23 Jul 2013 01:29 #597825 by kjelderg
Just bought a new project. was created by kjelderg
My daily rider is a '99 Suzuki Bandit 1200. I was in the mood for a project and something less ridiculous for my wife. I found what appears to be a 1982 KZ750 LTD and am working on getting it running and safe. I look forward to getting to know you all as I work on what is sure to become quite a project.

I have a couple probably foolish questions that I am hoping y'all can answer while I wait for a manual to ship.

1) The outermost carburetors have vacuum lines that T together and go forward to some device below the fuel tank. What is that device?

2) This thing has a tube that probably went to the airbox that my motorcycle lacks and that tube is definitely negative pressure while running. Is it supposed to be? Does this attach to the airbox? What does one do if they are hoping to use pods instead of an airbox?

3) Does the fuel petcock vacuum come from a third carburetor?

4) I noticed an open hole on the top of the transmission that seems to have air coming out of it while running. What is the purpose of this thing? Where is it supposed to go?

5) If I go with pods, are www.amazon.com/filters-yamaha-xj600-xj70...ords=52mm+filter+air the right ones?

6) My carburetors are Keihin with a 62mm jet and a 125mm jet. What is a rough guess at the right jets to replace those? Would it be a 65 and a 130 be about right?

1982 KZ750 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2013 09:22 #597842 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Just bought a new project.
What is your reason for going with pods? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
23 Jul 2013 11:53 #597872 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Just bought a new project.

kjelderg wrote:
6) My carburetors are Keihin with a 62mm jet and a 125mm jet. What is a rough guess at the right jets to replace those? Would it be a 65 and a 130 be about right?

MY those are really big jets! :blink:

Most folks only 29-38 mm carburetors!

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

More
23 Jul 2013 12:28 #597877 by kjelderg
Replied by kjelderg on topic Just bought a new project.

650ed wrote: What is your reason for going with pods?

Primarily because I thought it would be cheaper and easier than digging up or fabbing up a new airbox. Also, they look B) .

1982 KZ750 LTD

More
23 Jul 2013 12:29 #597878 by kjelderg
Replied by kjelderg on topic Just bought a new project.

slayer61 wrote:

kjelderg wrote:

MY those are really big jets! :blink:

Most folks only 29-38 mm carburetors!

Sorry, a number 62 and a number 125, which are clearly not sizes in mils. :whistle:

1982 KZ750 LTD

• lushbaugh
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
23 Jul 2013 14:37 #597909 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic Just bought a new project.
welcome to kzr try posting questions in specific forum areas, youll get more response. im not as keen on tghe smaller kzs so my off the top of my head knowledge on your bike isnt much.

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..