San Antonio new guy

More
07 May 2013 17:36 #586186 by doroyce05
San Antonio new guy was created by doroyce05
Hello. I just realized that u didn't make a new guy post. I have a 79 kz650 that I bought from Craigslist for $125.00. It was suppose to be a project but I think I'm over my head. I like working on cars and this would be my first bike. I want to get this bike running first before learning on riding. I'm working on the bike like once every week so I know it will be a long project.

Although I wish there were some local guys that can help me. Anyways I love this site with the amount of very helpful information.

Thanks guys.

1979 KZ650 B3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2013 19:00 #586197 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic San Antonio new guy
Welcome aboard! If you haven't read the info in the link below you may find it helpful. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/580406-...biker-from-mn#580410

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
07 May 2013 19:08 #586200 by doroyce05
Replied by doroyce05 on topic San Antonio new guy
Yup, i was actually reading that today lol. Im in the process of rebuilding the carbs first and make sure it is on a good starting point. Hehehe, that should take me some time.

1979 KZ650 B3

More
08 May 2013 01:18 #586256 by doroyce05
Replied by doroyce05 on topic San Antonio new guy
Do you guys know an actual step by step rebuild of our carbs? I've seen videos and write ups but I'm still not 100% sure on what each passage leads to on our carbs. I have mine out already and I have a rebuild kit in hand. I'd like to clean the carb and make sure that it is put back together as if it was brand new. I know I'll have to resync them but I'd like to have a nice baseline to begin with.

Thanks

1979 KZ650 B3

More
08 May 2013 10:35 #586304 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic San Antonio new guy
I had never done carbs before but took the plunge - it was easy & I do mean easy. The same thing is done 4 times on a lot of stuff & most parts only go back together one way, so it's hard to mess up. Get 4 cheap plastic divided lunch containers to keep the parts separated by carb. I didn't use a manual or follow a step-by-step... I'd go nuts going back n forth to check every little detail. I did, however, familiarize myself w the diagrams beforehand (Kawasaki.com or Partzilla). My carbs were in good condition, so there were no stuck fasteners or disassembly problems.

Use good fitting tools & work away from the edge of the table - knocking the carb bank onto a concrete floor would be a big booboo. 650Ed has a good topic w photos about Japanese screwdrivers. Sears has a cheapy metric driver set w T handle - the phillips-type bits are a good match for the Japanese fasteners. If necessary, use a penetrant - LiquidWrench penetrating spray lube is a good one. Spray the penetrant & let it soak - soaking overnight may be necessary in some cases. You could take progress photos.