1983 KZ 750 LTD Shaft Drive - New Member From Nebr

More
23 Oct 2012 15:50 #555398 by upncummr

Customize It wrote: I would not let that one go.

Truthfully, I was stunned to find an "old" bike in this nice of a condition.

The photos that I added are from the day I towed the bike home and washed off the small amount of dust that had accumulated on it. The previous owner had stored it under a cover in his garage and had done a nice job of taking care of it over the years.

Once I get it polished, waxed and detailed I'll post some additional pictures.

Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2012 15:52 #555400 by upncummr

Del_Herring wrote: Well, I have a 750 Spectre. And just looking, you have the same seat and grab bar as me. The Spectre's are also shaft drive's and were 82 and 83. I'm guessing the LTD Shaft has a lot in common with them, it certainly looks that way. As for engine parts there are a lot of similarities with the other 750 fours.

One of our tips is always that kawasaki.com has parts lists (with exploded assembly views) that you can lookup by bike, and then they show what other years and models used the same stuff, which is astoundingly nice resource.

Del:

Thanks for the tip on kawasaki.com. I'll have to check that out.

Gary

More
23 Oct 2012 15:59 - 23 Oct 2012 16:11 #555402 by upncummr

Customize It wrote: I would not let that one go.

The irony in this whole situation is that while I had the bike out in the driveway washing it, my neighbor stopped by to see it. We talked bikes for awhile and I asked him if he was ever going to sell his first bike (a 1976 Honda CB550 with 15K miles on it that's been stored in his basement for the last 8 years). He said he would and asked for $200 for it.

So I bought it from him this last weekend and gave it to a friend of mine from Kansas City that came up and worked on/supervised the work on the KZ 750 LTD. The irony here is that his first bike was also a 1976 CB550 that he owned while he was in the Army in Germany.

He currently has the bike back home in Kansas City and has the carbs apart for a thorough cleaning. He was able to get the bike running when he first brought it home, but it wasn't running well enough so he knew it needed more cleaning/work.

Finding him a bike like the one he owned 30+ years ago was really something special.

Here are a couple of photos of the CB550 sitting in the basement.

Attachment IMG_1261.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_1262.JPG not found

Gary
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Oct 2012 16:11 by upncummr.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
23 Oct 2012 20:37 #555443 by wireman
So what part of nebraska are you from? B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
24 Oct 2012 00:02 - 24 Oct 2012 00:07 #555514 by upncummr

wireman wrote: So what part of nebraska are you from? B)

I'm in Omaha which is along the eastern border.

Gary
Last edit: 24 Oct 2012 00:07 by upncummr.

More
24 Oct 2012 01:18 #555521 by OKC_Kent
Nice '83, I have the same model I paid $100 for, and it looks like crap compared to yours. Someday I'll get it going, it's torn down in the garage now. Good for you on giving that Honda away, karma has a way of coming back to you, right? :)

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
24 Oct 2012 11:14 - 24 Oct 2012 11:17 #555549 by upncummr

OKC_Kent wrote: Good for you on giving that Honda away, karma has a way of coming back to you, right? :)

Kent:

That's what I'm hoping for. It's always nice to have Karma on your side.

My buddy towed the CB550 home on Monday and had it running yesterday. It was running well enough that he could take it for a shakedown ride.

Good luck with your '83.

Gary
Last edit: 24 Oct 2012 11:17 by upncummr.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
24 Oct 2012 12:48 #555559 by wireman

upncummr wrote:

Gary

I bounce between omaha and louisville on a daily basis,sitting in carmel california right now fow another week enjoying the sights before returning to hell! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
24 Oct 2012 13:10 #555564 by upncummr

wireman wrote:

upncummr wrote:

Gary

I bounce between omaha and louisville on a daily basis,sitting in carmel california right now fow another week enjoying the sights before returning to hell! :woohoo:

wireman:

Enjoy Carmel. It's really beautiful there.

Gary

More
31 Oct 2012 01:37 #556493 by litespd
Welcome, Gary! I'm relatively new here myself. I had an '80 KZ750 LTD years ago, and recently purchased an '82 KZ1000 LTD with 16,000 miles on it...found it in Hastings. I'm from Fremont, so I'm fairly near you. You stumbled across quite a gem there...I thought my bike was clean, until I saw the pictures of yours! I found a shop in Gretna that will work on our "old" bikes, should you ever need anything done. I can do some of the maintenance work myself, but there are certain things that I need to farm out...and these guys are quick, reasonable, and good. Again, welcome to the group!

1982 KZ1000 LTD

"Wandering aimlessly through life without a plan, a reason, or a clue."

More
31 Oct 2012 12:14 #556531 by upncummr
Hi litespd:

Thanks for the welcome.

I have a friend that lives in Fremont so I spend a littel time there on the weekends every now and then. Maybe we'll get a chance to ride together.

Is the cycle shop in Gretna that you were referring to Gretna Cycle? They were recommended to me by Dillon Brothers Cycles in Omaha after Dillon said their internal policy was to not work on bikes older than 10 years old.

Now that I'm wrapping up the work on the bike, I may take it out there to have their guys double-check everything and give it a good once over.

Gary

More
31 Oct 2012 13:51 #556554 by upncummr
By the say, I'm looking for a replacement speedometer or a black speedometer housing in very good condition. If you know of one, please let me know.

kzrider.com/forum/24-wanted/556535-1983-...edo-or-black-housing

Thanks!

Gary