1983 KZ 750 LTD Shaft Drive - New Member From Nebr

More
22 Oct 2012 17:55 - 22 Oct 2012 18:42 #555223 by upncummr
Greetings!

I found (and bought) a 1983 KZ 750 LTD last month that'd been stored for the last 16 years. It has 10.8K miles on it and is in very nice shape.

We've spent some time bringing all the maintenance up-to-date, replacing fluids, tires, battery, and removing/cleaning the carbs. The bike went back together this last weekend and started after about 15 seconds of cranking after new gasoline had been added. Actually, it started on the third attempt - the first two attempts on Saturday evening took place when there was too little gas in the bike (about 1/3 gallon).

After adding 2 gallons on Sunday, we were all set.

Here's a link to the intial start-up.

Here's a link to the initial ride away.

Here are some photos after I trailered it home and washed it.

Attachment IMG_12632.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_12642.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_12652.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_12692.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_12712.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_12744.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_1276.JPG not found

We were very fortunate to find such a great example of the KZ 750 LTD.

Gary
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Oct 2012 18:42 by upncummr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2012 21:14 #555267 by mumbles
Wow very clean kz750f. One year model bike.
Must have been kept in a climate controled garage.

2001 KZ1000 Police
1998 Vulcan 800

Houston, Tx

More
23 Oct 2012 09:24 #555335 by Customize It
Replied by Customize It on topic 1983 KZ 750 LTD Shaft Drive - New Member From Nebr
Welcome new member. Nice Bike how much did it cost.

Make it yours

77 Kz 400 Bobber

More
23 Oct 2012 11:28 - 25 Oct 2012 11:07 #555355 by upncummr

Customize It wrote: Welcome new member. Nice Bike how much did it cost.

That's actually the best part - the bike was advertised on Craigslist.com for $50. I responded to the ad and the seller got back to me and said he'd raised his price to $100 because of the overwhelming response. He also said I was first in line and he needed to get the bike sold quickly because of an upcoming move.

So I bought the bike for $100 and the seller threw in an HJC helmet and a 2" hitchball and mount from U-Haul. I figure my net purchase price on the bike was around $50.

Of course since then I've put another $750+ into the bike to replace items like tires, fuel lines, battery, plugs, filters, fluids, and to bring all the maintenance up to date. I need to find a replacement speedometer because the one on the bike is damaged from something falling on it while in storage.

With any luck the bike will be with me for a long time or I'll be able to find a good home for it.

Gary
Last edit: 25 Oct 2012 11:07 by upncummr.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
23 Oct 2012 13:24 #555366 by wireman
Nice bike,welcome to z-jungle! B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
23 Oct 2012 14:33 #555375 by upncummr
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm looking forward to getting to know the bike better and to taking advantage of the accumulated wealth of knowledge of the members here.

Gary

More
23 Oct 2012 14:54 #555380 by Customize It
Replied by Customize It on topic 1983 KZ 750 LTD Shaft Drive - New Member From Nebr
I say you made out I see them for sale for 2000 to 3000 dollars in that kind of shape. Especially with low miles. NICE SCORE!!!
O and welcome to forum.
I had some major pfoblem right did not charge fuel, leaking bad, both tires flat?
Was it a little old lady?
Wife mad at cheating exhusband?
You gat a title at that price. You can not even but a frame and title under 150 dollars.

Make it yours

77 Kz 400 Bobber

More
23 Oct 2012 15:03 - 23 Oct 2012 15:04 #555387 by Customize It
I would not let that one go.

Make it yours

77 Kz 400 Bobber
Last edit: 23 Oct 2012 15:04 by Customize It.

More
23 Oct 2012 15:23 - 23 Oct 2012 15:26 #555391 by upncummr

Customize It wrote: I say you made out I see them for sale for 2000 to 3000 dollars in that kind of shape. Especially with low miles. NICE SCORE!!!
O and welcome to forum.
I had some major pfoblem right did not charge fuel, leaking bad, both tires flat?
Was it a little old lady?
Wife mad at cheating exhusband?
You gat a title at that price. You can not even but a frame and title under 150 dollars.

I got the title, the owner's manual and the tool kit along with the bike.

The tires were dry-rotted and flat and there was no battery. The speedometer was crushed and the front turn signals had cracked lenses and some corrosion in the sockets. The air filter was also so disintegrated that if we had tried to start the bike I think we would have sucked it into the engine in pieces. Other than that....it was complete and in very good shape. It really was an incredible find.

Rather than let our enthusiasm get the better of us and try to start it with old oil and gas in it, we changed all the fluids, drained the tank, and pulled the carbs off to be thoroughly cleaned. We also sprayed fogging oil into the cylinders and rolled the bike around in gear to make sure the pistons and rings were free.

All the prep work paid off as the bike started right up once we put it back together and got a couple of gallons of gas in it.

(I was kind of curious how much a bike like this might be worth in this condition. It's nice to know I could spend a few more dollars on it without being underwater.)

Gary
Last edit: 23 Oct 2012 15:26 by upncummr.

More
23 Oct 2012 15:28 #555392 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic 1983 KZ 750 LTD Shaft Drive - New Member From Nebr
Nice bike man! I haven't seen that model LTD before. Looks like it shares half it's parts with the Spectre, I recognize a lot of it. Thanks for the pics.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
23 Oct 2012 15:42 - 23 Oct 2012 15:44 #555394 by upncummr

Del_Herring wrote: Nice bike man! I haven't seen that model LTD before. Looks like it shares half it's parts with the Spectre, I recognize a lot of it. Thanks for the pics.

I'm actually completely unfamilar with older bikes in general and with the KZ 750 in particular. My first motorcycle was (and is) a 2009 Ninja 250R (you can see it in the background of at least one picture.)

Since I'm new to all this, I have a lot to learn.

I like the fact that the bike is in very good condition and is completely stock.

Based upon what little I know after doing a ton of reading the '83 KZ 750 LTD shaft drive model wasn't widely sold. As someone noted earlier - it's a one year only model. That could make finding model-specific parts a challenge. But I'm hoping some parts are interchangeable between years and models. My goal is to keep the bike completely stock and just to enjoy it as it was designed.

I'm happy to share the photos with the group.

Gary
Last edit: 23 Oct 2012 15:44 by upncummr.

More
23 Oct 2012 15:49 #555397 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic 1983 KZ 750 LTD Shaft Drive - New Member From Nebr
Well, I have a 750 Spectre. And just looking, you have the same seat and grab bar as me. The Spectre's are also shaft drive's and were 82 and 83. I'm guessing the LTD Shaft has a lot in common with them, it certainly looks that way. As for engine parts there are a lot of similarities with the other 750 fours.

One of our tips is always that kawasaki.com has parts lists (with exploded assembly views) that you can lookup by bike, and then they show what other years and models used the same stuff, which is astoundingly nice resource.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre