Just got a kz700

More
25 Mar 2012 12:35 - 25 Mar 2012 12:36 #511865 by Andrew D
Just got a kz700 was created by Andrew D
Hello kz riders. I'm proud to say I'm the owner of a not-so-brand-new 1984 KZ700, pictured below. I'd been scouring craigslist for a 70's-80's in-line four for a while, and I couldn't pass this one up. This is my first motorcycle, so I'll be coming to you for advice on maintenance and upgrades in the near future!

I'm a graduate mathematics student working at a university in Florida. Cheers!

www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/thepocketphilo...lr_m1g5wgznCA1qlo7n4
Last edit: 25 Mar 2012 12:36 by Andrew D.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2012 12:39 #511866 by nobody
Replied by nobody on topic Just got a kz700
nicccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccce :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

More
25 Mar 2012 13:22 #511870 by gengomerpyle
Replied by gengomerpyle on topic Just got a kz700
nice, what did it cost you?

1982 GPZ750R1 ELR
1978 Honda CB750F SuperSport
1971 Honda CB750K
1970 Honda CL100 Scrambler

• M357.5
  • User
  • Kwakas N' lots of em'
More
25 Mar 2012 13:41 #511871 by M357.5
Replied by M357.5 on topic Just got a kz700
I have a soft spot for the L models myself. Nice looking bike :)

83 KZ750L X2 + goodies = Project
84 KZ750L the mini ELR replica replica lol
84 ZX750E Turbo modded n' FAAAAASSSSSSTTTTT
85 GPz900r GREEN N' MEAN

More
25 Mar 2012 14:32 #511877 by Andrew D
Replied by Andrew D on topic Just got a kz700
Thanks guys. It cost me just over USD2000. I was looking at cb's for a while but most of the ones at that price range were either ten years older or in need of major work. I'm the third owner, it has 9k miles, and it's had new tires, chain, battery, K&N air filter, and the carbs rebuilt all within the last year. The poor guy sold it because his wife likes to ride on the back of his suzuki v-twin better.

I think I might write her a thank you note.

More
25 Mar 2012 14:59 #511881 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Just got a kz700
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that a cuurent picture of the bike or an old picture from the day it left the showroom floor?? Nice bike; PLEASE keep it stock; there aren' many survivors like that anywhere! Here are some thoughts for your consideration:

Recommendations for new (and not so new) KZ owners

Many newbies and not so newbies run into the same problems or issues with their bikes which could be easily avoided with a little preparation. Here are a couple recommendations that I hope you will find useful.

Before riding your KZ you should take a little time to become familiar with it. Simple things like checking the oil, tire pressures, etc. are explained in the Kawasaki Owner’s Manual. If you bike didn’t come with one (they normally are in a little holder on the bottom of the seat) you can usually find one on eBay – be sure to get one for your exact year/model.

If you plan to maintain your bike yourself rather than rely on a shop for all maintenance, you really should buy the Kawasaki Factory Service Manual for your bike. It will save you time, money, and frustration by enabling you do perform tasks correctly the first time without damaging anything. No one has ever regretted buying one of these. The factory service manual provides instructions on the various maintenance procedures and schedules for your bike, procedures for diagnosing and correcting problems, proper torque values for the various fasteners (VERY IMPORTANT), and insight into how each system on your bike works even if you are not repairing that system. Some tasks that can adversely affect the safety of the bike, such as installing the front axle, are not intuitively obvious and are nearly always done wrong unless the manual or someone who has read the manual is consulted. Studying the manual before you attempt performing service on your bike will impart an understanding of the system you are working on which will increase the odds of success and safety.

The manuals usually are readily available for most models on eBay and other sources, but be sure to get one that has your specific year and model in it as there are differences between the various models. I do not recommend Clymers, Haynes, or other aftermarket manuals as I have seen instances where they provide inaccurate advice. You may decide to use those to supplement the factory manual, but in my opinion they are not a suitable substitute. If you have trouble finding one for your model ask us for help.

If you plan to do your own maintenance you will need some tools that you may not currently own. Kawasaki uses numerous steel screws and bolts many of which are threaded into the aluminum engine. The bolts are much tougher than the aluminum and if over tightened will strip the aluminum threads. Although these can be repaired, preventing damage by applying proper torque will save you grief, time, and money. Tightening fasteners properly requires torque wrenches. Various vendors, including Snap-on, CDI, Sears, etc., market torque wrenches. The two most popular types are the bar type and micrometer type. Either will work, but the micrometer type is a bit easier to use, especially if you are tightening several fasteners with the same torque – such as cylinder head covers. I have found that it takes 2 different scale torque wrenches to properly torque most if not all the fasteners on the KZ bikes. There are many fasteners that require low torque. These include such things as 6mm oil pan bolts, cylinder head cover bolts, etc. for which the torque in 61-78 inch pounds. These low torque bolts require a wrench that is accurate at low settings and this wrench should be graduated in inch pounds. In addition, there are numerous high torque fasteners such as the front axle nuts (51 – 65 foot pounds) or swing arm pivot shaft nuts (58 – 87 foot pounds). These require a wrench that is accurate at higher settings; this wrench should be graduated in foot pounds. Using the proper torque wrenches to correctly tighten fasteners will help prevent damage and contribute to a safe bike.

The crosshead screws on the Kawasaki that look like "Phillips” screws are not Phillips; they are Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS). Using a Phillips screwdriver tip on these will damage the screw heads. JIS screwdriver bits are available, but if you don’t want to spend money on them you can make a suitable substitute from Phillips screwdriver bits. You just need to grind the tip of the Phillips bit a little then test the bit in a screw then grind a little more as necessary until the bit fits the screw properly. When properly ground the bit should be able to easily stay in the screw without help. If you need more explanation, just ask – pictures are available.

Good luck with your “new” bike, and be sure to ask any questions here as there are lots of knowledgeable folks on this site. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
25 Mar 2012 15:04 #511883 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Just got a kz700
Nice score! Take good care of the bike...don't paint it...original paint such as you have is rare. Remember...there were only 2000 made :)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
25 Mar 2012 16:22 #511904 by 650ed

Mcdroid wrote: Nice score! Take good care of the bike...don't paint it...original paint such as you have is rare. Remember...there were only 2000 made :)

AMEN! A $5 can of spray paint can turn your $2000+ bike into a $650 bike in about ten minutes! Don't paint it! Ed

More
25 Mar 2012 17:21 #511913 by Andrew D
Thanks guys. As far as maintenance goes, I'll start of doing small jobs myself, then work my way up. I've never worked on engines before, but I'm no stranger to technical jobs so I know there's a right tool (and a wrong one) for any task. Also, the previous owner gave me the contact info for his mechanic so if I get cold feet or in over my head she'll "stay in the family", so to speak.

My original plan was to do a complete cafe overhaul, but the more I look at these old street bikes and the more I stare at it, the more I like that 80's naked street style. It's in such good shape it would be a shame to restyle; I'm definitely not losing the stock tank, tail, or paint. I will get a sportier seat. I Also want to powder-coat the wheels and maybe the engine cover to that magnesium color, a round headlight and gauge cluster (like the Zephyr), and either ditch the rear fender or replace it with a chrome one. I want to put some clubman handlebars on it but it's so comfortable to ride I'd rather not mess with the stance.

Performance-wise I'd like to do a four-to-one straight exhaust, or put the muffler under the engine so I can see that whole rear wheel. I know I'll probably have to get the carbs re-jetted if that's the case.

More
25 Mar 2012 17:23 #511914 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Just got a kz700
Hey Andrew, very nice score! I'm just down the road from you on Citrus County. You don't see too many in that nice of shape around. That's a keeper. And if you keep it stock, it will only increase in value as time goes on. Hey, let me know if you will be going to the Leesburg bikefest at the end of April. A few KZ folks are thinking about meeting up.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

More
25 Mar 2012 17:31 #511916 by 650ed
Oh well, I guess another one bites the dust. :( I wonder if it was the last one on Earth?

More
25 Mar 2012 18:24 #511934 by Andrew D

KZJOE900 wrote: Hey Andrew, very nice score! I'm just down the road from you on Citrus County. You don't see too many in that nice of shape around. That's a keeper. And if you keep it stock, it will only increase in value as time goes on. Hey, let me know if you will be going to the Leesburg bikefest at the end of April. A few KZ folks are thinking about meeting up.

Thanks Joe. I'll be sure to drop you a line if I head up that way. Any pointers on good roads between Port Charlotte and Lakeland?

650ed wrote: Oh well, I guess another one bites the dust. :( I wonder if it was the last one on Earth?

My condolences. To each his own, I guess. I don't have the collector's bug quite yet; I wasn't but a twinkle in my mothers eye in 84.