KZ Newb

• WarTiger
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Don't be scared...CUT IT UP!!!
More
17 Feb 2012 10:38 #504566 by WarTiger
KZ Newb was created by WarTiger
I just becam e the proud new father of an 82 KZ1000-M. I just finished my last build this past fall (82 Yamaha XV750 pictured in avatar), and I have found my next bucket of bolts. I thought it was a great find until I pulled the head and found that the rust monster had set up shop on #3. It was too bad to consider boring out so I have all my newish parts on the way. Time to get busy busting some knuckles. I will put some pics up soon of the disaster I uncovered. True gear heads will aprreciate the "ouch" factor when you see the pics.

All of that aside, I have some big plans for this beast. So I am sure I will be picking some brains around the forum. Although I am new to the KZ scene, I have a lot of fabrication experience, so hopefully I will be able to offer up some help as well as asking for it.

- Caleb -
82 KZ1000M2 CSR (POS with loads of potential!!)
82 XV750 Custom Cafe (Former POS....potential revealed!!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2012 11:34 #504581 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic KZ Newb
Welcome Caleb...looking forward to the photos. :)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• WarTiger
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Feb 2012 22:41 #504937 by WarTiger
Replied by WarTiger on topic KZ Newb
As promised, here are some pics. As I said above, it isn't pretty. And yes that is mud in addition to the rust. The PO had stripped out the plug threads and thought sticking a tap in the hole would keep the water out. Then to top it off it just sat out in the weather for who knows how long. On the good side I found a block w/ pistons in really good shape that should be here in a few days. The crankcase and all components are in great shape so the damage was limited to the top end.

I already have a hardtail being made by Cycle One. This is going to be my first go at a rigid frame. My last build was a cafe, so I'm ready to try something different. Once I get rolling I will start a thread for my build and keep it updated as I go. Wish me luck!!!!! It's gonna be a long road, but that's the part I love.

Attachment DSCF0027.JPG not found

Attachment DSCF0028.JPG not found

Attachment DSCF0026.JPG not found

Attachment DSCF0033.JPG not found

Attachment DSCF0032.JPG not found

- Caleb -
Attachments:

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
18 Feb 2012 23:28 #504954 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic KZ Newb
OH SNAAAAAP! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Have fun.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
18 Feb 2012 23:57 #504961 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic KZ Newb
I always find it interesting that A-holes will sit a bike out and let it deteriorate for 15-20 years and THEN decide to sell it. There's a butt-head down the street that has been letting his old Honda 750 rot away since I moved into this neighborhood in 1985, but I know once it has suffered enough he will then decide to sell it. I guess it just takes them a couple decades to realize they are to dumb and lazy to do the work necessary to get the bike back on the road. :blink:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• WarTiger
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Feb 2012 02:39 #504992 by WarTiger
No doubt. If you're not going to do anything with it, then just get rid of it so somebody that appreciates things more can give it some new life. I thought at first I was getting a decent deal for $300, but so far I already have dropped another $300 just to try and get the engine in running shape. I mean I have dealt with worse, but is it that hard to throw a damn tarp over something?

On another note, I'm wondering what I should do with the heads. They seem to be in good shape except for the stripped out plug. I put a helicoil in it today, which seems to have worked just fine but the cut did get very close to the valves. I don't think it will cause any issues, but it was tense for a second there. My main concern is the carbon buildup under the valve seats. It looks like the valves aren't seated properly, but it's hard to tell. I really don't like pulling the valves unless I have too, but it seems kind of silly to do a full teardown and not go through everything.

It also seems as though I'm going to have to crack the case also. In my impatient haste to get the top end off, a good bit of dirt dropped down into the case when I broke the block loose. So as much as I would love to just ignore it, I can't. So it looks like the whole thing is getting torn down. Well I've rambled on long enough, so I will just start a build thread and just do a start to finish on the whole deal.

- Caleb -

More
19 Feb 2012 03:44 #504996 by nobody
Replied by nobody on topic KZ Newb
hay hi seen number 3 was it ? :sick: know what your talking about.im kinda new hear to,but it seems like a nice place .seem to know there stuff have been helpful.as for my project it is a 1982 kz1100 d .not as bad as yours,but a lot of work(fun work lol) ;) ;) .hard tale sounds good but im to old for them any more lol or maybe its just that i live in ohio lol. ruff roads . well good luck ,and yes would like to see more pics as you go.

More
19 Feb 2012 12:52 #505042 by bbirch
Replied by bbirch on topic KZ Newb
B) looks like a lot of work,but what a deal nice find lots of luck to you cant wait to see wwhat you dowith it. :cheer:

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
19 Feb 2012 13:16 #505052 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic KZ Newb

650ed wrote: I always find it interesting that A-holes will sit a bike out and let it deteriorate for 15-20 years and THEN decide to sell it. There's a butt-head down the street that has been letting his old Honda 750 rot away since I moved into this neighborhood in 1985, but I know once it has suffered enough he will then decide to sell it. I guess it just takes them a couple decades to realize they are to dumb and lazy to do the work necessary to get the bike back on the road. :blink:

I let my 900 sit for 13 years and what a mistake that was. Back when I put her away all I needed was a head, same thing helicoil blew out of the plug hole and moisture took over. I knew I would fix it one day but not 13 years later. Back then parts were scarce and almost non existent, then a new technology came out called the internet which helped tremendously. Without the internet my bike would probably still be sitting. :(

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• WarTiger
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Feb 2012 21:19 #505155 by WarTiger
Well I feel a little bit better about my engine today. I told my buddy I would tear into his Suzu GS500, and holy $hit!!!! Just take a look at the pics. A bit off subject but totally worth it!!

Attachment DSCF0002.JPG not found

Attachment DSCF0005.JPG not found

Attachment DSCF0008.JPG not found

Attachment DSCF0011.JPG not found

- Caleb -
Attachments:

More
19 Feb 2012 21:54 #505162 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic KZ Newb
First of all, welcome to the forum. You can get virtually all of your questions answered here!

Sucks about the damage, but it will make riding that bike that much better once you're ready. A fellow forum member, Old Man Rock had a minor catastrophe a few months back. kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/216290-omr...=20&start=440#485911

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!