Greetings from Madison, WI

More
14 Jul 2011 15:43 #462843 by Astrin
Greetings from Madison, WI was created by Astrin
Hiya, KZ folks! I'm back in the fold now after, oh, 24 years. I had a 1978 KZ400-B1 in grad school, great bike, and my (now) wife and I used to two-up motocamp on it in New England, which seems nearly impossible now. Bicycle panniers, luggage rack with tent and bags, and she wore a backpack. We had a blast!

Now we're hardcore BMW people - my wife and I tour and camp and go to rallies on a 1991 K75RT, the bike I dreamed about back when I had the KZ400. (The quote on my sig is from a letter to Cycle World about their review of the revolutionary K100.) I'm active in the Madison BMW Club and am currently the VP and webmaster.

I also like to ride track days, and have a track-only 2001 GSX-R600 for that purpose.

BUT, my wife has recently taken the MSF course and is now licensed to ride motorcycles, and I picked up a sweet 1983 KZ440 LTD Belt (D5) that fits her small body. A proper lady's mini-cruiser. It's all stock, and I threw a pair of Dunlops on it. I've really enjoyed the return to KZ maintenance, such simple bikes, like working on a bicycle, not to mention that warm sound of the old twin. I've synched the carbs, set the valve clearances, ran a fair bit of Sea Foam through it, bled the brake line, replaced three cables, charged the battery, and it runs great. I'm planning to replace the headlamp with a Candlepower H4 bulb unit so I can put a bright xenon in there, we'll probably move the front turn signals to stems out of the headlamp like a lot of other KZ's, we bought a National deflector shield for it, and I just bought a luggage rack.

So, no major mods for now, but a nice solid bike for commuting and day rides.

Sam Hokin - Santa Fe, NM
1991 BMW K75RT road | 1983 KZ440 cafe toy | 2006 SV-650 track
"BMWs are slugs, for gentleman riders who are also slugs." -- letter to Cycle World, 1984

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2011 16:25 - 14 Jul 2011 16:25 #462848 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Greetings from Madison, WI
Welcome Astrin, welcome back. Madison, eh? Spent a few evenings there...drinking. Went to a Jefferson Airplane concert in the Fieldhouse...do you hang out with Peter Egan?

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Last edit: 14 Jul 2011 16:25 by Mcdroid.

More
14 Jul 2011 16:31 #462849 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic Greetings from Madison, WI
Welcome! I spent 5 drunken years down in Madison...good times.

Seems to be the commong thread... Madtown and Partying :)