NEW BIKE, first KZ 1981 csr 650 19000 original mi

More
05 Mar 2011 21:12 #435390 by MFolks
Your bike probably needs to have all the electrical connectionc cleaned as it's a 1981 model:

Cleaning Motorcycle Electrics

Get some of the De-Oxit electrical contact cleaner and figure on spending a good day going from the front of the bike to the back. It’s a plastic safe cleaner/preservative. www.deoxit.com is their website.

On the older Kawasaki's, a majority of electrical connectors are inside the headlight housing requiring removal of the headlight, then the fun begins.

Do one set of electrical connectors at a time to avoid mixing up what connects to where. Usually disconnecting, spraying with De-Oxit and reconnecting is about all you'll need.

However, when encountering the green crud of corrosion, a brass wire brush may be needed on the pins you can reach.
Some 400-600 grit wet and dry sandpaper strips rolled into a tube should reach the male and female pins in the more difficult to clean connectors.

Smoker’s pipe cleaners, cotton swabs and wooden toothpicks work as cleaning aids.

Really small electrical connectors may require the use of a welders tip cleaning tool assortment.

Most pins in the connectors are coated with a thin plating of tin, and others may be nothing more than copper or brass.

If moisture is added, the resulting corrosion lowers the voltage/current being carried causing dim lights, slow engine cranking, slow turn signal responce and lower input voltage to the ignition coils resulting in weak spark.

The left and right handlebar switch pods will need attention too as they have circuit functions like turn, horn, run/stop, and start.

Usually a spritz or two with actuation of the switch is about all needed for these switches unless corrosion is detected and then careful disassembly is required.

The ignition switch may or may be not sealed to allow spraying the internal contacts. I urge caution if attempting to open this up as springs, and ball bearings may fly out never to be seen again!

If your bike has the older style glass tubed fuses, I suggest replacing them as vibration can cause internal failure. AGX is the type used, and most auto parts stores can get them for you.

Clean the fuse holder clips, looking for signs of overheating(discolored insulation, signs of melting),
I use metal polish on a cotton swab, followed by spraying another clean swab with the De-Oxit and then rubbing the inside of the fuse clip.

Each "Bullet Connector" will have to be sprayed to ensure good connectivity, especially the ones going to the energizing coil of the starter solenoid.

The alternator output “Bullet Connectors” are usually behind the engine sprocket cover and will need inspecting and cleaning too.

The turn signal light sockets will benefit from a spritz from the contact cleaner along with the tail light/brake light socket.

Some brake light switches can be sprayed on the actuating rod, with the spray running down inside to the electrical contacts, others may be sealed requiring replacement if the switch is intermittent in operation.

I think I've covered about all of the electrical systems on the bike.........

Electrical Connectors, Wire, And supplies
www.easternbeaver.com
www.vintageconnections.com
www.z1enterprises.com/catalog.aspx?pid=KPEL1
www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu
www.electricalconnection.com
www.electricalconnection.com/electrical-components/hitachi.htm
www.pbase.com/mainecruising/wire_termination&page=1
www.crowbarelectricalparts.com/butt_connectors.htm
www.ratwell.com/technical/Terminals.html
www.economycycle.com/servlet/the-Bullet-...lectrical/Categories
www.surplussales.com/SolderlessTerminals/WireTerminals-3.html
www.findtape.com/shop/product.aspx?id=32...&width=1436&height=0

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2011 21:14 - 11 Feb 2013 13:13 #435391 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic -
-
Last edit: 11 Feb 2013 13:13 by martin_csr.

More
05 Mar 2011 22:27 #435405 by TorreyJ
well, if you know anyone that wants them. I'll do an even swap.

More
05 Mar 2011 22:31 #435407 by TorreyJ
i saw a bike on here, I don't know exactly. i'm actually thinking that an all flat black cafe cruiser might be cool. powder coat everytihng?

More
05 Mar 2011 22:50 #435413 by TorreyJ

More
06 Mar 2011 06:32 - 11 Feb 2013 13:14 #435436 by martin_csr
-
Last edit: 11 Feb 2013 13:14 by martin_csr.

More
06 Mar 2011 06:50 #435441 by gengomerpyle
Replied by gengomerpyle on topic NEW BIKE, first KZ 1981 csr 650 19000 original mi
TorreyJ wrote:

forums.kz650.info/gallery/1378_12_05_09_3_13_00.JPG this is what i want it to look like.

great looking 650

1982 GPZ750R1 ELR
1978 Honda CB750F SuperSport
1971 Honda CB750K
1970 Honda CL100 Scrambler

More
06 Mar 2011 13:13 #435595 by tinlizzie37
Replied by tinlizzie37 on topic NEW BIKE, first KZ 1981 csr 650 19000 original mi
Hi Torry, Great looking bike and nice price to pay for a bike like that. Welcome to the forum.
Seeing that you are a mechanic, I'd make only one suggestion, and that is to get a Kawasaki Factory Manual. The others are alright, but the Factory manual has more info than the others. A good carb cleaning with a fuel filter is in order if the bike has been sitting for a long time. I also have a 650 E which I just love to ride. A polished up,clean vintage bikes like ours, always have people looking. The bikes are not hard to work on and a zillion parts are still available. Good luck, and make it look new. Check out the KZ650.info forum, I belong to both. Bob

Bob KZ 650 E1, En 450

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
06 Mar 2011 13:37 #435601 by Proxy
Nice find. I also just picked up an 82 CSR. I plan to BoB mine like this

It should be an easy transformation. Just a little cutting and welding on the frame, cut the seat pan down and reupholster and a set of flatter non-pullback bars. Reattach the backlight with some angle iron and make a plate holder. A set of mini led turnsignals and a neat little jumping spyder is born. Yours might be too nice to do this to. I also love a nice stocker too. Whatever you decide good luck.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
07 Mar 2011 00:26 #435804 by TorreyJ
replace the Fr Br mc? what the fuck? don't know what that is. Turn signals, ok, frame grip, got it. What kind of headlight upgrade.

More
07 Mar 2011 06:31 #435818 by Patton
TorreyJ wrote:

replace the Fr Br mc? what the fuck? don't know what that is. Turn signals, ok, frame grip, got it. What kind of headlight upgrade.

Guessing Front Brake Master Cylinder.

But might be Frik'n Broomstick Motorcycle. :lol:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
07 Mar 2011 07:26 - 11 Feb 2013 18:10 #435833 by martin_csr
-
Last edit: 11 Feb 2013 18:10 by martin_csr.