New Colorado Member/750 question

• jonymacmadcap
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Nov 2010 15:12 #413331 by jonymacmadcap
New Colorado Member/750 question was created by jonymacmadcap
Hi all....I am an avid motorcyclist and project bike junkie...I have a chance to procure a 1982 KZ 750 and am wondering what advice you all can give regarding purchase of this vintage KZ? Anything specific to the model that I should look for?

The PO relates that there may be a slight "ticking" during idle and that it weeps some oil around the gear shift lever.....any ideas what this may indicate?

The bike is an 82 as I said, and has a little under 30K on the clock and is being ridden currently with no other adverse indicators.

Thanks and I look forward to reading through and doing my research on this forum..

Madcap

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
18 Nov 2010 15:55 #413337 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic New Colorado Member/750 question
welcome...depending on what you are planning really it's your call.....

the only thing folks do do here though..

sometimes before buying the new member will post a picture of the item for sale and a idea of what you are being asked to pay...

no one here will try and scoop you........

and then folks will chime in and give you a really really good idea what your dealing with... a good pic from both sides and you will not get a better place to have the deal evaluated than here

welcome

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
18 Nov 2010 16:22 #413341 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic New Colorado Member/750 question
Hi Jonymac,

Welcome to the forum, I'm up in Fort Collins and have an '82 kz750 Ltd....love the bike. These 750's are almost bullet-proof. My guess is that you probably need to check the valve clearances. Probably just a leaky seal around the gear shift lever.

Good time to get the bike and go through everything this winter...hopefully you have a garage, preferably heated. If you do get the bike, there's a online pdf of the Factory Service Manual. Go through all the electrical connections, and all the recommended maintenance items and you should be golden.

Good Luck!

• jonymacmadcap
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Nov 2010 18:15 #413362 by jonymacmadcap
Replied by jonymacmadcap on topic New Colorado Member/750 question
OKIE DOKIE,
Here is the bike...it is a deal offered to me by a fellow member. Advertised price is $750 and I am pretty much commited to buying this bike. I was just wondering what all I should look for so I can "triage" the restoration/cafe build this winter.
Attachments:

• jonymacmadcap
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Nov 2010 18:17 #413363 by jonymacmadcap
Another Pic
Attachments:

More
19 Nov 2010 16:46 #413471 by apeman
Replied by apeman on topic New Colorado Member/750 question
That is a very fair, near bargain price to pay for that bike with such low mileage. I would not lose any sleep over the oil leak (NBD), nor the slight sounds from the engine. Remember, these are air-cooled motors, so there is no water jacket surrounding the engine block to muffle tthe mechanical engine noises. The valve train/chain, and primarly chain setup tend to generate some mechanical noise. They are not whisper quiet. You can't hear it much after you get your helmet on, and get up to highway speeds.

The KZ750 4 cylinder bikes are extrememly durable and reliable, so long as you do some simple and easy maintenance. My daily rider KZ750 now has just under 108,000 miles on it, and still will blast up above 100 mph upon demand.

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

• jonymacmadcap
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Nov 2010 14:43 #413577 by jonymacmadcap
This has been my experience with these bikes as well. I love them. I am currently attempting to scrape the required funds together as we speak, so wish me luck.