Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

New Canadian with an 81 KZ1000 Police Special 02 Nov 2010 00:15 #410351

• Cuff
  • Cuff's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Hello all,

Just taking a minute to say hi. Been lurking around for a short time and decided to introduce myself and hopefully make my first post count:) .

Living in Chilliwack British Columbia and picked up an 81 Police Special as an early 40th birthday present from my wife about a month ago. It came as a roller plus a crap load of parts in bins. All the police kit is there but I decided to go street rod / Rat before I found that one project I was looking for. My wife is extremely understanding and was more than willing to let me spend some quality time in the shop, sipin' on beer and wrenching the nights and days away on what I've found to be a very special platform since I work in Corrections and the two jobs are related. I got the bike from a local highschool shop instructor that was looking to raise some funds for the kids in his class. We settled on $600. It was originaly an Oregon State Trooper bike that was imported to Canada this year. Along with all the parts the bike came with two sets of factory police stickers, a full gasket set, two saddles, two tanks, full documentation history, a shop manual and the original police special handout that police departments recieved with the bike.

The family is all Kawi with a 2007 Versys, a 92 Eliminator 250 (wifes bike) and now the Police Special in the garage. I've found this site to be more than helpful for information and the people are first class. No drama, just love it.

I'm going to try and post some pics here on the build. I've made some progress and didn't plan on posting until the bike was done but I can't wait anymore. :lol:

Like I said the bike showed up in boxes and a rolling frame. All the metal except the valve covers was painted with epoxy coach paint, not a bad job, not the best, but it is fitting in with look I'm going for and it's tough stuff that will last forever. Spent the better part of a week just on the wiring, throwing wrenches and spending more money on beer than electrical components. Found all the wires there but chased a bad ground for a couple of days that was located in the siren switch housing due to a pinched wire. Finaly killed that little bugger and moved on.

Since then I've added my own tail section (the 40 is for my birthday), pods, carb clean, case vent, drag bars, head light and bracket, spark plugs, guage lowering bracket, tank strip and sand, tank sealer (lots of brown inside), trottle cables, clutch cable, exhaust pipe wrap, glass pack mufflers with bracket and 8"baffles, valve cover vents piped together, new battery, fork seals, painted fork loweres, tail light and of course an oil change. This week I'm hoping to get the jets changed as there is some decent back fire on throttle chop. Up a couple or 3 jets on the pilots and mains along with the needle going up one slot should do the trick. Not looking for a daily rider, the Versys is for that, just want a bike to cruise and take to a local bike night in the summer.

Here goes my shot at some pictures. May take a few tries since I'm new but here it goes. Oh yeah, bare with me on the updates as the weather is getting colder and after a hot and heavy start to my build I'm going to have to slow down a bit. First plan was for spring but I'm sure after some brakes the bike will be on the road in no time.

Thanks for reading. Cheers.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Cuff.

New Canadian with an 81 KZ1000 Police Special 02 Nov 2010 02:00 #410354

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 299
Ah...last of the old 'C' models...nice find and it should be fun. Welcome to KZR and nice job on your first post!
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

New Canadian with an 81 KZ1000 Police Special 02 Nov 2010 07:27 #410374

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
  • Thank you received: 235
not a lot of those around..i believe there were only a few of that motored cop bikes made.....79-80 MKII police edition...cool bike...really cool...welcome
1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

New Canadian with an 81 KZ1000 Police Special 02 Nov 2010 10:53 #410406

• Cuff
  • User
Thanks for the welcome. The bike is a blast to work on and it sounds great. Dind't know if it was a unique model of police bike but it won't be gong back to that set up for a while. Maybe in a bunch of years when I get the build bug again.

New Canadian with an 81 KZ1000 Police Special 02 Nov 2010 14:11 #410431

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Cuff wrote:

...pods...hoping to get the jets changed as there is some decent back fire on throttle chop. Up a couple or 3 jets on the pilots and mains along with the needle going up one slot should do the trick....

Happy 40th, Cuff, and WELCOME to KZR Forum! :cheer:

Regarding popping from exhaust on trailing throttle ---

Am presupposing that the pilot adjustment screws are set in the default position per FSM (such as for example 1 3/8 turns out from lightly seated).

Before fitting larger pilot jets, would suggest first enrichening the carb pilot circuits beyond the default setting, starting with say 1/4 turn (clockwise on side located pilot sir screws, or counter-clockwise on bottom-located pilot mixture screws).
Then another 1/4 turn, and yet another, if needed.

If must resort to larger pilot jet, would first try the next larger size.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

New Canadian with an 81 KZ1000 Police Special 02 Nov 2010 17:57 #410480

• Cuff
  • User
Patton wrote:

Cuff wrote:

...pods...hoping to get the jets changed as there is some decent back fire on throttle chop. Up a couple or 3 jets on the pilots and mains along with the needle going up one slot should do the trick....

Happy 40th, Cuff, and WELCOME to KZR Forum! :cheer:

Regarding popping from exhaust on trailing throttle ---

Am presupposing that the pilot adjustment screws are set in the default position per FSM (such as for example 1 3/8 turns out from lightly seated).

Before fitting larger pilot jets, would suggest first enrichening the carb pilot circuits beyond the default setting, starting with say 1/4 turn (clockwise on side located pilot sir screws, or counter-clockwise on bottom-located pilot mixture screws).
Then another 1/4 turn, and yet another, if needed.

If must resort to larger pilot jet, would first try the next larger size.

Good Fortune! :)

Thanks for the welcome and birthday wishes Patton. I like your suggestion and look forword to more help but I went ahead today and bought some jets before checking in here.:ohmy:

Went with 22.5 pilots and 127.5 on the mains. Left the needles alone. The motor ran awesome. Idle is just under 1500 and steady and there are no hicups throughout throttle turn. Now I know testing in the garage isn't a good subsitute for a complete road test but without brakes the trip might be short.:P

Did have a set back today though. I guess my tank was worse off than I suspected and leaked fuel from both sides low in the seam. I'm now deciding if I'll get the tank professionally done or give it another coat of Por-15.

Oh well, more garage time.:)

New Canadian with an 81 KZ1000 Police Special 02 Nov 2010 20:35 #410516

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
If you don't have a factory shop manual, download this one:
www.kawiworld.com/index.php?option=com_c...icle&id=77&Itemid=99

It should be compatable with your suppliment.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: kcornell6

New Canadian with an 81 KZ1000 Police Special 02 Nov 2010 21:04 #410521

• Cuff
  • User
Thanks MFolks, found it last month. Very handy for some things. Wished I had it before I finished the wiring. ;-)

New Canadian with an 81 KZ1000 Police Special 02 Nov 2010 21:14 #410524

• MFolks
  • User
Motorcycle Wiring Repair Supplies
Dry Vinyl Tape From Tape Brothers
www.tapebrothers.com

Dry Vinyl Tapes are non-adhesive plasticized polyvinyl chloride film tape. Easy unwinding characteristics - tape clings firmly to it’s own backing for tight wrap. High elongation and good strength to permit trouble-free binding of wiring harnesses for the automotive industry. Dry vinyl tape also used for plating applications- high stretch, good “cling” characteristics and great conformability provide for superior masking in hard chrome and other plating applications.

DVT-76B 2 in. x 250 ft. Black Dry Vinyl Tape
2 in. x 250 ft. Black Dry Vinyl Tape
Our Price: $6.54 Per Roll

www.wiringharness.com
• Non-Adhesive Vinyl Harness Tape, made to the original mil-thickness.
• Just wrap it tightly around the wires and knot the end.
• 100 foot roll is enough to do 3 to 4 harnesses complete.
• Available in three different widths, as original.
• Correct for all years (1955 to Present).

Part # Description Price
R0058272 3/4" Vinyl Harness Tape, 100 foot roll $12.00
R0058276 1" Vinyl Harness Tape, 100 foot roll $13.00
R0067108 1-1/4" Vinyl Harness Tape, 100 foot roll $15.00

www.keefeperformance.com/silicone_tape.html
"36 Foot" roll of Self bonding silicone tape
High temperature silicone tape
This Mil-spec silicone tape is Rated up to 500+ degrees

Made of silicone rubber, this self fusing silicone tape will protect most all electrical wiring, connectors, hoses, spark plug boots and more from extremely high temperatures. The self vulcanizing process automatically begins when the two sides of the tape are put into contact. A catalyst on one side of the tape begins the bonding process as soon as wrapping takes place.
great for all electrical wiring, harness, cable, and hose applications
Colors: Red and Black
Exceeds MIL AA-59163 TYPE 1 & 2
ASTM-D 2137 / -65C
ASTM D-412
ASTM D-149
Electrical, Home, Auto, Truck, RV, Marine, Motorcycle, Military, Commercial, Industrial, Generator
Heat Shrink Butt Splices From Cable Organizers
www.cableorganizers.com
PART # WIRE GAUGE COLOR PACK QTY PRICE
NSPA-KS5-20 22-24 AWG CLEAR 50 $13.89
NSPA-KS5-16 18-20 AWG RED 50 $13.49
NSPA-KS5-14 14-16 AWG BLUE 50 $13.82
NSPA-KS5-10 10-12 AWG YELLOW 50 $16.48

New Canadian with an 81 KZ1000 Police Special 06 Feb 2011 14:51 #429035

• Cuff
  • User
Well it's alive. Got a runner now with brakes and everything.:laugh: Still have a ways to go. Bike needs all those little lights to make it "leagal" and some cosmetic issues to sort out (wheels and rubber) but it's running fine now.

New Canadian with an 81 KZ1000 Police Special 06 Feb 2011 15:08 #429040

• MFolks
  • User
Interesting muffler mount, It's gonna get hot and smell of hot rubber after a while. Maybe a metal mount with a rubber vibration absorber on the frame will work beter.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

New Canadian with an 81 KZ1000 Police Special 06 Feb 2011 15:37 #429045

• Cuff
  • User
I was thinking of the muffler mounts as well. It's still work in progress and don't see me finished tinkering with it ever. I have this addiction to working in my garage, it's like therapy and now that I have a hobby bike I can finally leave my Versys alone. :laugh:

The muffler mounts will be one of the secondary things I get to after the road required items get taken care of like lights, mirrors and rear plate bracket.