New guy from WI

More
12 Mar 2010 19:59 #352999 by 81kawi650
New guy from WI was created by 81kawi650
Hello everyone. I have an 81 650 that I picked for cheap 2 years ago. I learned to ride on it, and have gotten bored. So with a little motivation from the girlfriend I have decided to build my first custom. I am trying to take the "updated" route. Newer style suspension (inverted forks/monoshock) and mix it with the down and dirty feel of a cafe. I have very little experience with forums so please bear with me as there is a learning curve to come. I am hoping that I can create a network of friends/tech support/whatever comes, to help me with this build. There will for shure be pics up soon, I just have to figure out how to post them. Thanks for your time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
12 Mar 2010 20:12 #353002 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic New guy from WI
Welcome to KZR! Lets see some pics of that bike before you tear it down. I look forward to seeing a resto-mod 650. I'm doing a similar build on a 1000 at the moment. Be sure to start a project thread, and I'm sure that you will get plenty of help, comments, complaints, and suggestions. Sounds like you got a keeper with the GF! My wife probably regrets giving me permission to do my KZ, let alone suggesting that I do a custom.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
12 Mar 2010 20:25 #353003 by 81kawi650
Replied by 81kawi650 on topic New guy from WI
Yea she definetly takes care of me. This whole thing started because she bought me some drag bars for my birthday and the brake master hits the triple trees. Haha for some reason the gears started turning and smoke came pouring out of my ears! I have a vision in my head I just have to get it out. I will take some pictures asap and post them up, shes already kind of apart the tank is just sitting on it, seat, fender, brake light, and a few parts are off, but I was smart enough to take a couple before pics. Thanks for the reply and instant support it is greatly appreciated!!!!

More
12 Mar 2010 20:33 #353004 by Bad Dad
Replied by Bad Dad on topic New guy from WI
Welcome, and good luck on the build... You can do anything, with a little help from your friends!

76 KZ900LTD
82 GPz750R1
01 VULCAN 800A-CHOPPED
76 IRONHEAD-CHOPPED
77 RD 400 Cafe

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
12 Mar 2010 20:43 #353006 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic New guy from WI
Where in WI are you? It helps others if you put your location in your profile - might be other members close enough to lend a hand once and a while...;)

• testarossa
  • User
More
12 Mar 2010 21:33 #353010 by testarossa
81kawi650 wrote:

Yea she definetly takes care of me. This whole thing started because she bought me some drag bars for my birthday and the brake master hits the triple trees. Haha for some reason the gears started turning and smoke came pouring out of my ears! I have a vision in my head I just have to get it out. I will take some pictures asap and post them up, shes already kind of apart the tank is just sitting on it, seat, fender, brake light, and a few parts are off, but I was smart enough to take a couple before pics. Thanks for the reply and instant support it is greatly appreciated!!!!

Nothing says love like dragbars. What do you get for the man who has everyting? Drag Bars!

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
12 Mar 2010 21:49 #353011 by 81kawi650
Thanks for the encouragement Bad Dad!

Double Dub I am actually from DeForest I see you are in Madison, thats pretty cool I never expected to find someone that close to home.

Shes not much but shes mine thats all that matters I will have to go out there tommorrow and get some pics of it in its current state. I already have some parts for it. I am looking to do a resto mod style but on the cheap with some blood sweat and good old fashioned brain power.
Attachments:

• testarossa
  • User
More
12 Mar 2010 22:12 #353016 by testarossa
Everytime, that I see a clean 650, it makes me want one more. I love the fact that you guys in the snow belt are riders. That shows your passion. Heck, we can ride year 'round here and people sell bikes every day because of lack of use. Your bike reminds me of my '82 1000 CSR. I wish that I would have finished that bike. The only thing that I can find wrong with that bike is the speedometer. Keep us posted.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
13 Mar 2010 08:13 #353083 by 81kawi650
Yea I got the bike pretty much as is, for $350 two years ago, all i did was put a new battery in it and splash some gas in. The bike has always needed carb work, it will run on three till it gets warm, then she does alright. The guy i bought it from is actually a good buddy of mine, he laid it down when we were in High school and the speedo was on there then, but before it wen on hiw it said 12000 on the ticker. The current speedo shows another 1600 so its a pretty low mileage bike.

If it was up to me I would by a second beater bike and ride that on the nicer winter days, hey when 45degrees feels like t-shirt weather you have to keep yourself entertained haha

Once again thank you all for the warm welcome!

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2010 14:50 #353127 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic New guy from WI
Nice bike. My buddy's father has a 70's something 650 that I'm trying to get ahold of and turn into a turbo streetfighter. Not sure if will ever happen, but that's my dream right now. Still trying to polish and clean up the 900 after it's rebuild last year. Let me know if you ever need a hand!

More
13 Mar 2010 19:56 #353180 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic New guy from WI
welcome, is that a fresh picture because if it is you guy's must have got hammered with snow this year. us on the other hand had our lowest amount of snowfall and warmest recorded winter in 53 years it's been great.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
13 Mar 2010 21:14 #353199 by 81kawi650
Double Dub: Thanks for the offer! I might have to take you up on it. I would love to pick up another bike to ride but that was the one catch with the drag bars, she wont let me get another bike until after this one is done. I'm glad she did it because otherwise it will end up like my Oldsmobile untouched for 2 and a half years. Hahaha With riding season pretty much here that is more than enought motivation!!

timebomb33: No that picture was in late january right after I got my drag bars. Our winter was pretty mild this year actually, I only had to break out the Carhart maybe twice and that was when I was shoveling the driveway. Haha