I guess I need some support/advice.

More
13 Dec 2008 12:12 #252379 by PPhem
About a year ago I joined this site because I had found a very nice KZ1000 Ltd for $1600. Unsurprisingly, the person I had worked with to wrangle a loan balked and caused that to fall through.

Here I am again faced with buying a bike. It is a KZ750 Ltd that is good shape cosmetically and at a quarter of the price ($400 for the math challenged reader). The guy selling it bought it with the intention of beating gas prices. However, shortly after doing so he realized he was terrified of it (the guy he bought it off of drove it to the new owner's house) and never rode it. Instead, he started it up every now and then and kept the tank full. After a while the battery went bad, so he replaced it. After he replaced it the bike started once and ran fine, then it wouldn't start anymore after that. It has been sitting since then (about a year)

Off the bat I can see it needs tires, a battery, maybe a muffler, and possibly some wiring (which i'm guessing is the reason for it not starting)

I have the money to buy it in hand (plus a little more), a mess of tools, and a decent bit of garage space. However, what I am missing is confidence and a working knowledge of motorcycles in general. I don't want to pass up a deal on something I like and want to get into, but I don't want to start with something over my head in terms of both skill and finances needed.

What do you all think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2008 13:15 #252391 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic I guess I need some support/advice.
PPhem wrote:

... KZ750 Ltd that is good shape cosmetically... $400... guy selling it bought it with the intention of beating gas prices. However, shortly after doing so he realized he was terrified of it (the guy he bought it off of drove it to the new owner's house) and never rode it. Instead, he started it up every now and then and kept the tank full. After a while the battery went bad, so he replaced it. After he replaced it the bike started once and ran fine, then it wouldn't start anymore after that. It has been sitting since then (about a year).

Off the bat I can see it needs tires, a battery, maybe a muffler, and possibly some wiring. I don't want to pass up a deal on something I like and want to get into, but I don't want to start with something over my head in terms of both skill and finances needed.

What do you all think?

Without having ridden it yourself, or seen anyone else riding it, or ever heard it running, how much faith do you have in the reported history? (They ALL say that!:lol: )

If true, the price seems very reasonable.

The maintenance items and repairs mentioned could amount to another $400 more or less depending on diy skills and time available.

If the motor will turn over (not frozen), a leakdown test could be done before closing the deal, but it likely wouldn't reveal low end damage. Imo, it would be difficult for anyone to give a valid opinion on an engine without ever hearing it run.

Sometimes we get lucky. Pop a cork!:cheer: When unlucky, we at least have the part-out option :( .

Would it be possible to post a pic?

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
13 Dec 2008 13:28 #252395 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic I guess I need some support/advice.
From what you listed needs done it doesn't sound like you'd have to be too intense a mechanic to (hopefully) get it running again. For $400 I'd do it in a second ;)

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

More
13 Dec 2008 15:50 #252421 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic I guess I need some support/advice.
You said it looks good so is everything stock. Paint look stock? How many miles? Everyone who tackles one of these old girls for the first time get in over their head. It is part of the fun. You'll learn to swim in no time. Ya got a great resource right here. Boon or bust, pool or a pond, a pond would be good for you(sorry vague Caddyshack reference). If ya decide to do it do it right and make it safe, comfortable and reliable. We'll be here...we'll leave the light on!

PICS gets you anything on the top shelf except the mouse ears......scratch and sniff pics gets you the ears!!:woohoo:

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
13 Dec 2008 16:45 #252435 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic I guess I need some support/advice.
go for it!
first thing to do is change the oil and plugs.
very good chance the other guy started it on choke only just to hear it run.
doing so will foul plugs real quick.
ther could just be loaded with unburnt fuel.
i bought a couple cheap for that reason alone.
it has potential if it used to run.
i bought my 650 for $300 because it didn't start.
i paid him then filed the points and fired it up.
he said he changed his mind.
i told him $600 to buy it back.
anyway, i rode it home that night.
most of the time it is something simple.

btw, like loco said, WE WANT PICTURES!

scratch and sniff not required but would be helpfull.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
13 Dec 2008 20:15 #252462 by PPhem
Replied by PPhem on topic I guess I need some support/advice.
No pics at the moment. But the odometer reads 7k and change and the the bike is cosmetically in good shape (hasn't been dropped, isn't rusting anywhere, isn't missing anything etc) but has a ridiculous (albeit not entirely amateurish) flame paint job, and saddle bags with skulls on them. Not at all to my tastes, but I can live with it until a later date.

The only reason I actually believe what this guy is saying -as in the motor ran perfectly fine before he mucked changing the battery- is because I get the vibe that he impulse buys a lot. He gave off the impression that he bought it on a whim, didn't know how to work on it, and completely gave up when it wouldn't start for him. He wasn't high pressure at all. Just seemed to want it out of his garage. I usually get jumpy when people start the whole routine of: "you know, I had some guy here looking at it just ten minutes before you came, and he said he was heading to the bank to see if he can afford it..."

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
13 Dec 2008 20:19 #252463 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic I guess I need some support/advice.
Going by your post, you WILL be overhauling the carbs before driving yourself crazy trying to get it to start. That's a given, IMO.
Hopefully the rest of the process will be relatively simple i.e. fresh gas, new (properly gapped) plugs, maybe a new air filter.....as a good starting point.
When a seller can't make a bike run for you (whether it's newer or older) the price takes a REAL nose dive, IMO.
Be ruthless with him. It's the capitalist system/American way in action !!!;)

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
13 Dec 2008 20:29 #252465 by PPhem
Replied by PPhem on topic I guess I need some support/advice.
I also forgot to add, when he opened up the underseat compartment where the battery is, there seemed to be a couple loose wires. That also led me to believe he just kinda biffed a repair.

I get the feeling I'm trying to convince myself when I want to do this. The worst case scenario is that I get a $400 paperweight and an angry girlfriend, right?

More
13 Dec 2008 22:51 #252492 by dman3998
Replied by dman3998 on topic I guess I need some support/advice.
for that price you could make a grand by stripping it and selling off the parts on Fleabay.

BUY IT!

there are plenty of helpful and friendly sorts on this forum that will help you get it going.

#1 get a manual, factory is the best but a Clymer with get you started. that is IMHO anyway.

Dman

SE Idaho

"Smart only goes just so far, STUPID is UN-limited"

79 KZ1000 LTD
Honda XRL650L
Yamaha RD350B
Yamaha DT400B

More
13 Dec 2008 23:18 #252496 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic I guess I need some support/advice.
I'm in more than I'd like to admit on a 200.00 bike. I could have stopped at about 400.00 total but wanted more than a runner.

You can do a decent 100.00 rattle can paint job, you can pull the bags off. If the metal is straight and everything else is decent, figure about 30.00 a carb for a rebuild kit, another 50.00 for points, plugs, filter, and oil. After that the fun starts and the wallet gets light. Also check compression if you can.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
15 Dec 2008 06:19 #252762 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic I guess I need some support/advice.
PPhem wrote:

I also forgot to add, when he opened up the underseat compartment where the battery is, there seemed to be a couple loose wires. That also led me to believe he just kinda biffed a repair.

I get the feeling I'm trying to convince myself when I want to do this. The worst case scenario is that I get a $400 paperweight and an angry girlfriend, right?

I was going to say tighten the wires and ride it home.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
15 Dec 2008 18:21 #252916 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic I guess I need some support/advice.
Buy it. First if he bought it on impulse he probably would unload for a slight loss. If it was me I would check that the motor is not froze and will turn over, look for blown gaskets and excessive amounts of oil leaking and general condition. Dry rotted tires are a sign of sitting which could explain the low mileage on the odometer. You will probably have to remove carbs as previously mentioned. If you can get the carb bowl gaskets off without destroying them you could clean out jets and such to at least get it fired. You can replace bowl gaskets later to save on cost for now. Check ignition timing and file points if you have points. Check battery wires and she should fire, when running check for leaks and noise. The motors are very dependable, so get a few things in order and you should be good to go. Sometimes a good cleaning and and inspection will get you a pretty good bargain.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL